Baer brakes question...

My Baer brakes, Hawk pads and Earl's lines have been on for about 1000 miles now and, for the limited investment, I'm impressed with the improved pedal feel and braking improvement.

Here's my issue: I wasn't able to get the front calipers as tight on the brackets as they originally were. If memory serves, they are held on by size 60 torx bolts, which I got as tight as they will go. When they aren't too hot to touch, I can still wiggle both front calipers ever so slightly (with the truck parked, obviously). No problems at all out back.

And I'm not sure if it's related, but even after extensive bleeding, I haven't been able to get the brake pedal to engage as high off the floor as it did with the stock brakes. I like the brakes to feel like they are "right there" when I hit the pedal, and I've got some travel I'd like to get rid of.

There's been no noticeable effect on braking from the loose calipers, so I just want to make sure there isn't some other problem. Thanks for the help.

Without seeing it for my self, its hard to tell you what it is. Since it is an aftermarket setup check to see if there were any shims that came with the kit, some aftermarket kit will require them :dunno: about the Baer setup. Some play is also normal because it is a flooting caliper, but it should not move excessively. If all else fails call Baer and see what they say.

I noticed you have a few GTO's. I have a 65 in the back of my shop (friends). It has a stout little motor (not sure whats done, it was in it when we got it) a TCI turbo 350 trans and a strange 12 bolt rear with a spool. They use it for drag racing, it is pretty rough shape, it's from Conneticut. We are goingto restore it but the rear window opening is rotted and needs replacing. we stopped doing resto's at my shop for the time (cant get good help). Its gonna get a LQ9 6.0 w/6 speed :D

Without seeing it for my self, its hard to tell you what it is. Since it is an aftermarket setup check to see if there were any shims that came with the kit, some aftermarket kit will require them  :dunno: about the Baer setup. Some play is also normal because it is a flooting caliper, but it should not move excessively. If all else fails call Baer and see what they say.

The only thing that comes with the Baer kit are the rotors and the brackets - not a single bolt or shim. Everything other than the brackets and rotors is stock. I'd probably call the caliper movement excessive, that's my concern. The caliper bolts are torqued to factory specs, BTW, which isn't easy with Torx bolts.

I noticed you have a few GTO's. I have a 65 in the back of my shop (friends). It has a stout little motor (not sure whats done, it was in it when we got it) a TCI turbo 350 trans and a strange 12 bolt rear with a spool. They use it for drag racing, it is pretty rough shape, it's from Conneticut. We are goingto restore it but the rear window opening is rotted and needs replacing. we stopped doing resto's at my shop for the time (cant get good help). Its gonna get a LQ9 6.0 w/6 speed :D

All 4 of my GTOs had rear window issues - it's par for the course with GM A-bodies. The drain holes filled with dirt, water was held in the window channel and rotted, then water went in the trunk and rotted the trunk pan followed by the rear body mounts. I've yet to see a NE US car without this issue. I was going to go the LQ9 route with my PT car, but I just couldn't bring myself to put corporate power in a Pontiac. The other GTO owners would hang me. For what it cost me to build the 421, I could have had a new LS7 and change left over.

sorry i don't have any insight on this for you.  i don't have any problems like that with my Alumasports.  now you wanna talk squeeling and brake dust? lol

LOL you bought aftermarket performance brakes! It's not a perfect world! Thats like asking for 1000hp and 20mpg.