Torque Converter

Installed the TB TC today Trans Temp up 125 to 145 just a little more than it used to run ,So looks like I'll run it for a while and see how the temps hold up ,before installing a cooler . Outside Temp today here is 104

A Big difference in Launch .

Sure make's U SMILE for such a cheap mod.

:driving:

Installed the TB TC today Trans Temp up 125 to 145 just a little  more  than it used to run ,So looks like I'll run it for a while and see how the temps hold up ,before installing a cooler .  Outside Temp today here is 104

A Big difference in Launch .

Sure make's U SMILE  for such a cheap mod. 

:driving:

I agree. I noticed a big jump off the line. The cooler is just added safety, another reason to work on the truck :cool:

RIGHT ON! Your truck needed it!!! I'm thinking of clipping a coil off the spring in my tranny thermostat to bring the operating temp down from 170 to 150. It's also past-time to do complete tranny service, too. :banghead:

Mr. P. :)

i know i'm still fairly new here (but i'm here everday :D ) i just assumed when everyone kept saying to use a TB TC that they meant a TBSS TC and not the inline 6cyl TC i can't believe it not only holds up to our motors but also improves the reliability of the trans :confused: how can it do that :dunno: if i do this to my truck how much doe's it cost?.. and how hard is it to install?.. will it work on my V-max i don't have the 4l60e if i remember it is a 4l70e i think chevy site say's it's option #m70 and is called the super duty trans??? so i don't know eaxctly which it is :confused: but it doe's have an external engine and trans cooler so would i need to get a different cooler for my trans or would this one work.. sorry for all the questions.. so thanks in advance :cheers:

i know i'm still fairly new here (but i'm here everday :D ) i just assumed when everyone kept saying to use a TB TC that they meant a TBSS TC and not the inline 6cyl TC i can't believe it not only holds up to our motors but also improves the reliability of the trans :confused:  how can it do that :dunno:  if i do this to my truck how much doe's it cost?.. and how hard is it to install?.. will it work on my V-max i don't have the 4l60e if i remember it is a 4l70e i think chevy site say's it's option #m70 and is called the super duty trans??? so i don't know eaxctly which it is :confused: but it doe's have an external engine and trans cooler so would i need to get a different cooler for my trans or would this one work.. sorry for all the questions.. so thanks in advance :cheers:

yep the 6cyl one, I think the TBSS is putting the non ss one in :dunno:

it stalls a bit higher than the stock 1700rpm

towing goes down a bit, so does milage

off the line response is much better :driving:

install is great if you are dropping your trans to put the shift kit in :devil:

you have a cooler but there are bigger ones that can fit in the spot and look stock and give you some extra piece of mind.

great mod.

RIGHT ON! Your truck needed it!!!  I'm thinking of clipping a coil off the spring in my tranny thermostat to bring the operating temp down from 170 to 150.  It's also past-time to do complete tranny service, too.  :banghead:

Interesting mod idea. Have you seen anyone else do it this way?

To tell the truth, I didn't even know there was a trans stat to mess with...

yep the 6cyl one, I think the TBSS is putting the non ss one in :dunno:

it stalls a bit higher than the stock 1700rpm

towing goes down a bit, so does milage

off the line response is much better :driving:

install is great if you are dropping your trans to put the shift kit in :devil:

you have a cooler but there are bigger ones that can fit in the spot and look stock and give you some extra piece of mind.

great mod.

:withstupid: The TBTC that we refer to is the 6-cyl one, NOT the 8-cyl or SS unit. It's also the same converter as found in the 6-cyl Silverado 1500; after installing this converter towing capacity on the lockup clutch (4th gear OD) will be the same as the 6-cyl Silverado 1500 (about 4000-lbs). If you are towing a load heavier than that you can do so safely in 3rd (no lockup clutch), provided you have a tranny cooler big enough and can afford the 10-mpg! Put in the largest tranny cooler you can afford IMO. the beauty of the 6-cyl TC is that it's CHEAP, like under $200 and the dealer would never spot the difference. This topic has been discussed to death, there's many posts on it.

Interesting mod idea. Have you seen anyone else do it this way?

To tell the truth, I didn't even know there was a trans stat to mess with...

There isn't one on a stock SS; I've got the Long brand transmission cooler with external thermostat. I believe in using thermostats, but this one is set a tad high for my liking, my trans grabs/functions best at around 150. BMan suggested I remove it completely.

MR. P. and detjoe... i noticed you both have 03's i'm assuming there awd right?.. if so i could see the huge improvemnt the TB TC would make but i some time have trouble getting my 2wd to grip now!.. so i'm not sure if this will help me so much as it would hurt me?.. also i do tow some cars once and a while and with the trailer that gets over 4000lb's easily and usualy for long distances to.. so driving in third gear for a couple hundred miles don't seem to appealing to me :( i'm not sure if this is a mod i want to do right now so we'll see what the future holds :dunno: but thanks for the info guys :cheers:

MR. P. and detjoe... i noticed you both have 03's i'm assuming there awd right?.. if so i could see the huge improvemnt the TB TC would make but i some time have trouble getting my 2wd to grip now!.. so i'm not sure if this will help me so much as it would hurt me?.. also i do tow some cars once and a while and with the trailer that gets over 4000lb's easily and usualy for long distances to.. so driving in third gear for a couple hundred miles don't seem to appealing to me :(  i'm not sure if this is a mod i want to do right now so we'll see what the future holds :dunno:  but thanks for the info guys :cheers:

Yes AWD. If you are towing then buy a premium 2600-2800 RPM converter, there are several on the market with kevlar lockup clutches, they will deliver OEM towing capacity in top gear. :thumbs: One will set you back about $800 but they are certainly bullet-proof.

re loosing grip: imagine taking off WOT from a stoplight and as you get half-way across the intersection all four tires break loose at 35mph :P:driving: It hasn't happened since getting rid of the Goodyears and installing Pirellis.

MR. P. and detjoe... i noticed you both have 03's i'm assuming there awd right?.. if so i could see the huge improvemnt the TB TC would make but i some time have trouble getting my 2wd to grip now!.. so i'm not sure if this will help me so much as it would hurt me?.. also i do tow some cars once and a while and with the trailer that gets over 4000lb's easily and usualy for long distances to.. so driving in third gear for a couple hundred miles don't seem to appealing to me :(  i'm not sure if this is a mod i want to do right now so we'll see what the future holds :dunno:  but thanks for the info guys :cheers:

Yes AWD. If you are towing then buy a premium 2600-2800 RPM converter, there are several on the market with kevlar lockup clutches, they will deliver OEM towing capacity in top gear. :thumbs: One will set you back about $800 but they are certainly bullet-proof.

re loosing grip: imagine taking off WOT from a stoplight and as you get half-way across the intersection all four tires break loose at 35mph :P:driving: It hasn't happened since getting rid of the Goodyears and installing Pirellis.

i've got yokohama avs st's 295/45's (almost at the end of there life :( ) which grip a lot better then the bridgestones that were on it. i had goodyears on my 03 275/55's and i did'nt like them much either..

on the converter i'm not sure i could afford to spend $800 on a TC (at least not now) i still have other mods to do first before my trans becomes an issue.

i just like to gather all the information i can when it's available so i know what to do when the time come's.. so thanks for the info :cheers: and hopefully i won't have to worry about my trans for a while :dunno:

i've got yokohama avs st's 295/45's (almost at the end of there life :( ) which grip a lot better then the bridgestones that were on it. i had goodyears on my 03 275/55's and i did'nt like them much either..

on the converter i'm not sure i could afford to spend $800 on a TC (at least not now) i still have other mods to do first before my trans becomes an issue.

i just like to gather all the information i can when it's available so i know what to do when the time come's.. so thanks for the info :cheers: and hopefully i won't have to worry about my trans for a while :dunno:

As long as you're not going to turbo/sc/N2o, get the 6 cylinder Trailblazer converter. It's a great first mod along with a reprogram, and lockup works like stock.