K&N FIPK II

Dr Mike

:nono: SS Alert...Re: K&N Cold Air Intake Kits for SilveradoSS

Straight from the horses mouth.

I have used K&N FIPK's in my rides ever since they have existed and wanted to install the one that K&N lists for 6.0L engine however there is a note stating :eek: Not for SS.

I contacted one of the techies :wtf: at K&N and the strongly urge not to install any of their kits they currently sell at this time.

There is no benefit :smash: (no appreciable HP or torque gains) installing a current kit and are working on one specifially for the SS.

They will have one soon, but only after they can validate HP and Torque gains to justify the K&N name :flag: .

I have seen a few Volant systems and they look great, but at pricey $650.00CAN.

As for K&N, I know they work and are 2 bills less.

Will advise all once K&N gets back to me with the Word...

Dr Mike :thumbs:

"There is no benefit (no appreciable HP or torque gains) installing a current kit and are working on one specifially for the SS."

I have to agree with this. I tried re-using the FIPK from my last truck ('00 Silverado) on the SS, but noticed no performance change, just noisier. After reading this :cool: forum and getting some ideas, I McGuyvered my stock air box with some 6" metal flex duct I had lying around in the garage. The size is almost perfect for the back of the "brake vent" in the bumper. I had to flatten the duct so it would fit between the wheel well and the body, but it worked well IMO. I cut a huge hole in the bottom front of the air box (roughly 3" x 6"). Don't have a digital camera yet, so sorry no pics to post.

:cheers:

deezel

Dr Mike,

What do you mean about a K&N Cold Air Intake "kit." I put one of their regular replacement filters on right after I bought the truck but never saw any info on the product you described. Thanks.

Hey ho Lee...

You are correct :cheers: nothing for the SS as we speak, but coming soon.

K&N have FIPK's for almost every vehicle out there and stand by their HP and Torque Claims and the current kit they have for the 6.0L can be made to fit but only gives you cosmetics and no performance gains :sigh: .

I have had many of :thumbs: these kits and the sound(very Sweet) is like a Four Barrell opening up on a muscle car and less throtlle pressure required when passing. I've also convinced my wife it improves fuel econony,ooops :nono:

My previous ride ex-Dakota 4.7L Dyno'ed without the mod and it came in at 235HP, and 245HP+ with the K&N FIPKII.

The FIPK II give you a clamp mounted silicone adapter to throttle body, a specially designed air tube from adapter to a special air box and cone type filter that replaces the very restrictive OEM Set-up. However the extra power comes at a price and inconvenience as it is much noisier :crazy: .

The K&N replacement filter solution is still :P OK as a direct replacement for the restrictive paper element type that sit in the Air Box. It not only outperforms by leaving your engine breath a little easier but also can be re-used and re-used forever (K&N claims100,000miles) thus a good investement at very lillte cost.

I will post info as soon as K&N gets back to me with release date.

Cheers

Dr Mike :cool:

Mine cost $6000 and came with this cool Cozmo that mounts on top of the engine
but it causes this strange whistling noise

~sigh~Two blue guys with large whistling air cleaners......This is going to be a very long month. I wish I was an ostrich. :D

Thanks for the info, DrMike. :thumbs:

EDIT: Oops, sorry, Jason. I promised I wouldn't put any smart comments in the tech section. Do I get a couple of mistakes while I adjust my learning curve? Please......... :D ....... :flag:

Archived