Got bored today

04ChargedSS

So I was waiting for my "Next day air" :sigh: package from Nelsonperformance and UPS screwed me. It was scanned in at the UPS airport terminal but never showed up! 6 hours and a dozen calls to UPS later........they don't know where it is! :banghead:

So in the mean time...I figured I'de get a little creative and relocate my antenna to the passenger side A pillar. :thumbs:

Here is what it looks like.

The mount

Finished Install

Works well and NO reception loss what so ever!

Now I just need to get UPS to find my tune!

EDIT: Write up and more pics. PM me if you need more details.

Antenna relocate to A pillar

First of all, you will need to have a hexnut thread setter kit or access to one. This is a tool that let’s you install a threaded insert into a hole and by applying pressure locks the insert into the hole. Like a molly bolt for metal. They are available on line. (Here is a sample http://www.avdel.textron.com/index.htm?brochures/index.htm)

Or you can drive out to my place and I’ll help you.

Second, if you have very large hands, you might want to enlist the help of someone with small hands. The hardest part of this mod is the antenna wire itself.

Third, go get the cowling trim panel from the stealership that doesn’t have the antenna hole in it. The part GM part number is #15287179. It cost me $11.00.

Trim Piece

The work involved is as follows……….

Remove the A pillar trim on the passenger side by pulling from the top. There is only one clip holding it in place so be gentle and don’t break it like I did. (Now I need to buy a new trim piece) If you have the On Star speaker, there is a wiring connector you need to unfasten and separate. Use a small screw driver to push in the retaining finger.

Now set the A pillar trim aside in a safe place so you don’t get it all scratched up! Look at where the A pillar meets the dash and you will probably see the antenna wire looped in the opening. DON’T TOUCH IT YET!

Antenna Wire

Now remove the contents of your glove box or it’s going to be all over your floor and you’ll be really mad at me. The glove box is permanently attached to the dash trim with rivets. You don’t need to drill them out as the box can stay with the trim. Roll the glove box down all the way by pushing in (to the right) on the support. There is a little catch that stops the box from dropping.

Drop The Box

Move to the engine compartment where the antenna mount is and remove the antenna and the plastic trim. The trim is held in with three (3) push in clips.

Remove Antenna and Trim

Remove the three (3) bolts holding the mount in place and let it just sit there for now. If you look at the wire it travels down and through the side of the fire wall into the truck. You will need to pull the wire out about an inch from the fire wall. There is a rubber grommet holding it in place. This is a tough location to work but a little patience and body contorting and you will have it free.

OEM Mount

Now the fun part!

Move back into the truck and put your left hand in through the dash frame work, reaching up toward the A pillar. Be careful not to damage any other wires, there’s a few in there you don’t want to mess with, like the air bag sensor and release! It probably wouldn’t be very fun to have it whip out into your face. With your right hand, reach up into the opening where the A pillar meets the dash and find that antenna wire. Holding the wire in your right fingers, gently push it back and forth so you can identify the correct wire with you left hand. This can take some time as the wire usually runs up into the dash foam insulation. Once you find it, VERY GENTLY pull it downward to get some slack. BE CAREFUL as there is a slip connector here that you don’t want to come undone before you are ready. Locate the connector. If it’s like mine it’s wrapped in a foam tape. Tear the bottom portion of tape off and carefully separate the connector. It just pulls apart. Pull the end going to the radio gently to see if you can get a bit more slack and remember where behind the dash you left it hanging. This helps if you don’t want to grope around for it later.

Behind the Dash

Now you can pull the antenna end of the wire up through the opening at the A pillar. With your left hand holding the wire, reach over the door and grab the antenna post with your right hand and slowly pull the mount out of the truck. You will want to remove the grommet and place it back in the hole where it came from. You may need some soap to get it off.

Now we get to do some grinding, cutting, fabricating and fitment.

The mount has three mounting holes in a triangular flange and on side is slightly longer. The hole on the longest end is the hole you will use to mount it to the A pillar. Holding the mount in your hand and looking at it from the top (that would be the threaded antenna post part toward you) identify the top left mounting hole. This section of the flange needs to be cut off. I used a Dremel tool with a cut off blade. Take your time and don’t let the mount get too hot as you cut. Use a file to smooth and round out the corners and edges.

OEM Mount

For a mounting bracket I used a medium sized picture hanger cut and bent to accommodate the 10-32 machine screws and close fit to the A pillar. Using a .50 inch 10-32 screw and lock nut, attach the bracket to the long edge hole on the antenna mount and tighten just to where you can barely move the bracket. You will need to make adjustments later.

Back into the truck. Insert a 10-32 threaded insert into the hole where the connector for the On Star wire was. If you don’t have On Star, the hole is located about 4 inches up from the bottom of the A pillar.

Tighten the insert into place and remove the tool. Attach the antenna mount with a .750 10-32 machine screw and lock washer through the bracket onto the A pillar, don’t tighten all the way.

New Mount

At the top of the A pillar, just inside the head liner, I found a hole (about .50 inch) for my sun roof drain. I threaded the top of the antenna through the hole and attached it to the antenna mount. You can just run it along side the A pillar up into the head liner if you don’t have the hole, or if you are daring, drill a hole. You’re on your own for that one! Tighten the antenna and both of the screws securely. I used a length of duct tape to mold the antenna against curve of the pillar.

If you do have a sun roof and drain tube, don’t pinch the drain tube!

Hole in Pillar

Fish Antenna

Connect it

Fish the wire from the antenna mount down through the opening between the A pillar and the dash.

Antenna Wire

You will need to reach up into the dash again with you left hand to grab it and fish it down. Now find the radio end of the wire and (here’s the tricky part) push the connector together. It’s a little difficult with one hand but it can be done. Just take your time. You will know when the connector is tight as it will “snap” when it goes together.

Now you can put every thing back into your glove box. The hard parts done!

Re install the A pillar trim and check for fitment. You might need to finagle the foam pads on the trim. Don’t forget the On Star connector if you have it. The connector will now just sit inside the trim. Like I said, be sure to check fitment before you actually lock the push clip into place. Multiple removals will eventually cause the clip to fail (mine did).

Now turn on the radio……….you’re done! :driving:

Reinstall Pillar Trim

Look Ma, No antenna!

Some pictures are from a friends truck as this mod was complete when I did the write up. If you have any questions or need more info on this, PM me and I'll be happy to help you. :D

As with any modification, you are on your own. If you don't completely understand the details of this mod, ask me. I am not responsible for your mistakes! :nono:

Edited by 04ChargedSS (see edit history)

IMO with XM there is no need to FM. I removed my antenna when I got my truck and have never listened to FM since.

Thats what I am saying. I have XM, and I just removed my antenna. Screw going through that whole process to recieve crappy FM radio that only plays 5 mins of music and 55 mins of commercials per hour.

Good write up though! :thumbs:

I guess what they are asking is, when you drilled the hole, the antenna sits in there. What did you do to keep it from rattling around.

I didn't drill the hole, the hole was already there for the sun roof drain. I guess if I was to drill a hole I would put a grommet in it. The antenna rests up against the roof anyway so there isn't any rattle at all.

IMO with XM there is no need to FM. I removed my antenna when I got my truck and have never listened to FM since.

Thats what I am saying. I have XM, and I just removed my antenna. Screw going through that whole process to recieve crappy FM radio that only plays 5 mins of music and 55 mins of commercials per hour.

Good write up though! :thumbs:

Thanks for the compliment!

I actually don't want to pay for XM...so I listen to my CD's instead. But occassionaly I like to listen to the radio so I kept it but now hiden.

same here, i dont listen to fm i listen cd's or xm and that all folks!

btw looks like you kept yourself busy until brown popped in!