Elec. Fans + S-Chargers

deezel

Has anyone has considered adding a switch to keep the fans on 100% for the intercooler?

If the variable speed fans are not at full speed for some reason, an override switch would be useful. I think the 282's have connectors for this.

I doubt daily drivers would need it, but I wonder if this could help 1/4 mile times?

:confused:

curious,

deezel

When I upgraded my intercooler heat exchanger, I mounted it in the lower grill opening and added full time e-fans. I even added a jumper so I could force the fans and intercooler pump "on" when the engine was off. Works great for cooling down at the track.

I was intially thinking of adding a pusher e-fan to the stock heat exchanger but there is not enough room between the heat exchanger and the grill. You would have to carve out some of the plastic behind the "bow tie" to get one in there.

Dave, do you remember the dimensions of the intercooler you put in? The dimensions of the JLP cooler (the one you sent me info on) is W 27" X H 9 1/8" X 2 3/4" thinkness. May get that soon and get sporttruck direct's interchiller, if they both fit together.

I'm at work and have not looked under the truck yet to check fit.

Here is the thread of my install

Intercooler Heat Exchanger Upgrade, Fun project for my Radix

It was a real pain to install the JDM because of the tight fit. I guess it would have helped to have some one helping me by holding the tops of the mounting bolts and spacers while I wrestled the heat exchanger in to position and tried to get the nut on.

The outside dimensions of the JDM are 25 3/8 x 9 1/4 x 3 1/2 There was probably about 1/4 to 3/8 inch to spare (both sides combined)

I am surprised the JLP is even wider, it looked smaller in the picture I saw. Maybe we need to contact Fluidyne and get one made for the SS.

As for the interchiller, I don't think there is room. There is the thickness of the fans, plus the thickness of the duct. With the JDM heat exchanger, I just barely had enough room for the fans mounted directly to the heat exchanger. You would probably have to come up with an alternate duct that is narrow across the top and wider at the bottom

If we could get a narrower heat exchanger, there would be more flexibility in mounting and more room for fans, etc. If I remember right, the nuts from the tie down hooks prevented me from mounting the heat exchanger further forward. If it had been an inch narrower, it would have been a lot easier.

Dave, do you remember the dimensions of the intercooler you put in? The dimensions of the JLP cooler (the one you sent me info on) is W 27" X H 9 1/8" X 2 3/4" thinkness. May get that soon and get sporttruck direct's interchiller, if they both fit together.

I'm at work and have not looked under the truck yet to check fit.

OK Ben, lets spread the wealth here. Where is this stuff you are looking at? :D

Eric, sorry, you're right. I had been asking Dave some questions about his install a while back and he gave me some info. JLP is Johnnylightningperf.com. They make a better cooler for the Ford Lightning. Of course, you don't have to use it on a Ford.

Dave, did you ever go to Griffin rad? They'll even make you a custom intercooler. Probably cost a bit though.

The interchiller is here:

SportTruckDirect

As you browse around this website, somehow you never seem to notice the Fords in the pictures.... :D:eek:

The JDM heat exchanger if from

JDM

but they don't have a picture on their website yet.

Look here for a pic of the JDM and the JLP heat exchangers:

Tim Skelton

Dave, did you ever go to Griffin rad?  They'll even make you a custom intercooler.  Probably cost a bit though.

Nope, didn't see that website. Looks like they make air-to-air intercoolers and radiators. They should be able to make a air-water heat exchanger. I just assumed a custom job would be more expensive. Might be worth it for you to check into. I guess I got caught up in the irony of using a Lightning part in my SS :D (OK, so I have a strange sense of humor... :rolleyes: )

Might be easier to got to FluiDyne.com and ask them for a custom heat exchanger just like the JDM but and inch or two narrower.

I'm doing the 282 with the Magnacharger, but do you really need one on the chiller?

What's a 282?

The chiller is a couple of e-fans and some ducting to mount them to a Lightning heat exchanger.

Archived