What happen to my #8 piston???

It would be an interesting log. 12psi, 6700rpm, 10:1 compression, 228/234,115+4,.588/.598 cam, and a stock short block didn't help. 6700rpm is stretching a stock short block and then you add 12psi to it. To be able to make 12psi with that big of a cam you're moving alot of air and creating quite a bit of cylinder pressure for a 10:1 compression engine. With a Vortech system (unless he had changed it) there is no IAT sensor on the boosted side so as the blower starts producing hot air there is no way to pull timing away like you'd do with a Radix, Procharger, STS, etc. It took me the weekend to remember much of it although I still can't find the file. If it were lean it would have killed cylinder #7 first and if it were purely from KR* the other pistons would be beaten up pretty good also. I'd also like to know the answer to his posted question "What happened to his #8 piston?". If it was in the tuning, I'd like to know what part of the tuning caused it. If it was something else, I'd still like to know what caused it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were lean it would have killed cylinder #7 first and if it were purely from KR* the other pistons would be beaten up pretty good also. I'd also like to know the answer to his posted question "What happened to his #8 piston?". If it was in the tuning, I'd like to know what part of the tuning caused it. If it was something else, I'd still like to know what caused it.

That's exactly where I was going with my questions Zip. Typical falure from a tune is number 7 with the truck intake and I couldn't see any effects/damage to the other cylinders to judge by. Sorry, not buying the tune theory... :dunno:

Another question to dounome... Is/was the bearing spun on that cylinder? Did a rod bolt let go? Do you still have the rod bolts from that cylinder? I'd like to measure stretch... and trying to think of other ways for this cylinder/piston to fail so that I can avoid it myself in the future! :eek:

EDIT: Now don't get me wrong, I'm not friends with Zippy, nor did I use him for my tuning... I've got a pcmforless tune and just bought HP Tuners package to better personalize my tune. I just don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to protect or provoke anyone here. I just want to better understand what failed and I don't buy the tune theory. :thumbs:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to even try to defend myself if I thought that was the case. He was running more cam than most 6.0L guys as well as putting 12psi through it. From what I read he was running the stock pulley which impress's me that it made 12psi with that much cam/etc. I'm wondering just how the conclusion was made that it was all in the tuning?

On the direct port thing, the only two trucks that come to mind with direct port is Blacksheep's and GreenThunder's.

My question would be with that setup and even after a custom tune, was it monitored at all by any system? Like Hp tuners, autotap, or LS1 edit? If the engine was properly monitored, it woudlnt matter if the tune was bad or not. I also agree that tuning could not be the sole cause. Where was the oil pressure at when this happened? Did a single injector lean out and fail? That coudl cause that on the cylinder specific. If it was bad tuning, all of the pistons in at least one bank would look like crap and/or meet near the same fate. Being cylinder specific tells me it was something to do with that clyinder mechanically, like injector, push rod, rocker, valves, rings, poor piston casting, etc.

Ok guys just to let you know I did have HPT on the truck and logged the entire thing. I did a the old put the finger over the hole compression check and I failed in 3 cylinders and not all on the same bank. I will try to get the log posted. I will not say anything more about tunning for now, nor will I ever bad mouth directly or indirectly again. This board is far too important and useful to make a bad name for myself. When I finally get the motor out I will take lots and lots of pics. 12lbs may not be what it was for boost and the log will show the RPM's.

Ok guys just to let you know I did have HPT on the truck and logged the entire thing. I did a the old put the finger over the hole compression check and I failed in 3 cylinders and not all on the same bank. I will try to get the log posted.  I will not say anything more about tunning for now, nor will I ever bad mouth directly or indirectly again. This board is far too important and useful to make a bad name for myself. When I finally get the motor out I will take lots and lots of pics. 12lbs may not be what it was for boost and the log will show the RPM's.

:thumbs: Thanks man! Knowing what the logs are showing should help us better understand what was going on at the time of failure.

I finally have my motor setting in the truck now and started putting the acces. on it. So far I have had no problem with the change over. I ordered the speartech bracket, a 97 vette water pump from napa with bolt on pulley. I had to space out the w.p. pulley 1" to get it to line up right. The speartech bracket works great and was very easly. I had to get new injector connectors to fit the car injectors. I am hoping to have everything but the fuel system done within a week. Then comes the hard part plumping the fuel up, I have fast rails, fpr and a bunch of fitting but I have been thinking about changing to returnless system and maybe that would make it easier. I think that part is much harder to do than the brackets. Good luck

It would be an interesting log. 12psi, 6700rpm, 10:1 compression, 228/234,115+4,.588/.598 cam, and a stock short block didn't help. 6700rpm is stretching a stock short block and then you add 12psi to it. To be able to make 12psi with that big of a cam you're moving alot of air and creating quite a bit of cylinder pressure for a 10:1 compression engine. With a Vortech system (unless he had changed it) there is no IAT sensor on the boosted side so as the blower starts producing hot air there is no way to pull timing away like you'd do with a Radix, Procharger, STS, etc. It took me the weekend to remember much of it although I still can't find the file. If it were lean it would have killed cylinder #7 first and if it were purely from KR* the other pistons would be beaten up pretty good also. I'd also like to know the answer to his posted question "What happened to his #8 piston?". If it was in the tuning, I'd like to know what part of the tuning caused it. If it was something else, I'd still like to know what caused it.

wow how in the hell did the tranny even hold up with shift pts that high? that is just way to much RPM. even with my 408 and a bigger cam then that i did not shift that high :eek: the only thing that could have been tunning is the 6700 RPM and that would be the drivers fault for not letting out of it and re tunning. everyone knows that you don't run your rpm up that high with a stock motor and even a 4l65e built tranny, they just will not hold up.

i have to say if it where tunning that blown up the motor it would have been most of the pistons or #7