Need a good story

whmayhew

I had my wife's 2006 Silverado K1500 at a local fair last night. We pull a drag on a 300 foot dirt track. I got 161 feet down the track and heard a big bang. Broke something in the rear. In 4 wheel drive it still moves but if you try to turn into a driveway it makes alot of noise. Spider gear? I will take off my pulling tires this morning, remove blocking, take out the Zippy tune. Now what do I tell my dealer? I have a 30 foot camper. Maybe I should tell them that I was pulling that? I also have Magnaflow exhaust and K&N FIPK. Should I remove that also? Any info would be greatly appreciated. It was pulling good though until it went to wheel hopping and I as going to get those Hemi's.

Had a guy in a few weeks back at the dealership I work at, grenaded his rear, he told me he was pulling a boat and it "clunked" while he was pulling a boat leaving a stop light. :crackup: I knew better but we fixed it under warranty. Only thing we didn't replace was the axles and the housing, never saw such a mess of steel sludge in a punkin in my life. I wouldn't worry about the tune or K&N, we never looked under the hood or hooked it to a Tech2.

Thanks for the advice. I had it sent to a local Chevrolet dealer, who I did not buy it from, but wished I had. They have replaced a few rear ends for another guy at work who used to do the same thing I did. I did take the tune out as I have a spare computer. Does anyone have any ideas on how to toughen up the rear of these Chevy's? It is the weak point. 3 weeks ago I saw a 2006 GMC with a dealer plate break the pinion shaft off. The Hemi's are not that good when you have a good tune and equal out the horsepower.

We pull a drag on a 300 foot dirt track. I got 161 feet down the track and heard a big bang

Does anyone have any ideas on how to toughen up the rear of these Chevy's?

You can start by leaving the tractor pulling to John Deere :lol:

Edited by KissMySilvSS (see edit history)

The only real fix for it is a stronger rear diff. The stock Gov-Lock assembly is only made for light off roading and bad weather driving. I'd just bring it home and call 1-800-CHEV-USA and arrange with them to have it towed to the dealer. Do clean all the dirt off it first, but basicly the less you tell them the better. It's like going over something with a gf or wife, they don't need to know all the details. Those are what get you into trouble.