BUG OFF

CraigW

I tested a new product from Griots Garage its called Bug Off. You spray it on the front of your vehicle and let it dry you can also wipe it on but the spray is faster. Once its dry your ready to drive. Get all the bugs you want, then when you wash the bugs come off with just a quick wipe of the mitt or towel. It doesnt dry totally clear so you will see it on black sort of looks like water streaks. But like I said bugs came off super easy. :thumbs:

www.griotsgarage.com

item numbers

4oz. 11213

35oz. 12980

Bug repel for automobiles, I love it. Now they need to make one for dogs, casts, skunks, birds, chickens, kids on rollerblades and Hemis.

By the way Craig you still driving that Pontiac? Thought you might be driving a Ferrari by now.

Edited by Pasadena SS (see edit history)

Nice Find ... any help on the bug guts I already have....  The ones that wash after wash, you can still see the splat outline on your bumper and mirrors?

BUGS :nono: In the days before Dow Chemical Co. wood workers used shellac to finish their projects, and shellac was made by crushing up bugs :sick:So when you drive through bugs it's exactly the same as driving through a cloud of shellac; if you allow bug guts to remain on your paint, it's exactly the same as leaving shellac on the surface and after a week or so the 'bug chemicals' actually begin to bond with your clear coat.

Never go more than 10-14 days between washing. In some parts of the US there are varieties of insects that are *bad* for paint, I have been told that in Florida there are swarms of small gnat-like insects called love bugs that will etch pain in 48-hours.

To restore your paint -

1) Gently wash the dirt off with your wash mit (don't worry about getting the bugs off yet, just the dust/dirt/mud)

2) Spray a bug/tar remover (walmart $4, I prefer the ones with petroleum distillates but they're most expensive) let sit a couple minutes then work gently with the wash mit. Let the chemical do it's magic and dissolve the shellac, do not scrub that way you will not scratch/damage your clear coat. You might have to use the bug/tar remover several times on stubborn spots.

3) If you still have extremely stubborn bug spots (because they sat so long that they actually bonded with the paint) you will have to use claybar to remove the foreign material.

4) You should be able to wet the paint surface, run your hand over it, and not feel any foreign material; if you can close your eyes and still feel 'stuff' stuck to the paint keep working at it with the bug/tar remover or claybar.

5) When the clearcoat feels smooth you may still see spots/blemishes in the finish, this is etching damage from prior bug shellac that bonded with your clear coat; to remove etching use 3M Hand Glaze w/ a diaper cloth or quality microfiber towell. If the spots are severe you might have to first attack with a polishing compound, like 3M Finesse-It, then finish with hand glaze.

Mr. P.

EDIT - bird shit must be removed IMMEDIATELY, it begins etching paint on contact.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Bug repel for automobiles, I love it. Now they need to make one for dogs, casts, skunks, birds, chickens, kids on rollerblades and Hemis.

By the way Craig you still driving that Pontiac? Thought you might be driving a Ferrari by now.

Yes still have my Grand am but will soon be getting a 2007 Trailblazer SS and a few mods for it.