Radix SS vs. Viper SRT-10 truck

punkt71

I see where your comin from about the LS7... However i just dont think that chevrolet is ready to put a hand built 505 hp monster in.....a truck. Sorry just dont see it happinin man. its bad enought that they are considering putting the LS7 in the new camaro. Now i know chevy is kinda guilty of it with the TBSS with the LS2.

Chevy does not need to look a dodge, lets see here, dodge threw the HEMI at every car and truck they make basically, and now they are selling out with putting their infamous viper engine in a truck. I know its fast but still. I mean you would think that dodge would make their HEMI more potent than it is. cuz after all most of us here have killed many of them. they should have ditched the 345 hp model and introduced it in the 425 hp model. and i bet they would get more respect from competitors. and now that i think about it, FORD is doing the same thing. they have the ford gt engine which they use the same blower and block in their lightnings.

N E ways, dont get me wrong i think its a great marketing tool but i just dont think Chevrolet is gonna sell out like that.

Sorry i wasnt tring to start a flame war here just stating my .02 :cheers:

I said that I wish they would use the LS7 in a truck, not that I think they will.

I am not sure I see it as "selling out" though. Mercedes is putting the new 500 HP AMG hand-built 6.2 liter in performance versions of most of its models, including SUV's. If you have a good engine design, why not use it in more vehicles? The LS7 is still just a big old pushrod V8 anyway, with essentially the same block as an LS2. Put it in a Camaro SS, a CTS-V, a sport truck. If you want the Vette a little hotter just stick a bigger cam in it at the factory. if you're afraid of ticking off the guys who spent $75-80K for a Z06, it's still going to be a helluva lot faster than a 5000 lb. truck.

Besides, the Dodge V10 in trucks predates the Hemi. And as far as Chevy looking at Dodge, maybe both GM an Ford need to do so to improve their market share a bit. Daimler-Chrysler ain't stupid, and I do respect the fact that they are willing to put 425 plus HP in sedans and trucks and not just two seat sports cars. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a Chevy guy...I just want to see the brand do well and see them put out more than just one exciting vehicle The use of the LS7 doesn't have to be limited to just one car. :chevy:

Edited by SSLink (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally dont think GM has "Performance" options for a lot of their vehicles on their mind right now. They are trying to boost sales of their higher selling cars.... thats why they just came out with the 5yr/100K (or was it 7yr, i dont remember) warranty. Dodge/Chrysler are going all out with their SRT and HEMI models, and GM is concentrating on other stuff. They probably figure that if people want a performance GM product, they will just buy the Corvette/GTO/CTS-V/TBSS and thats that.

• 3 weeks later...

GM is guilty of the same thing. think of how many cars they put the LS1/2 in. camaro, trans am, cts-v, corvette, tbss, and im sure there are others im forgetting.

oh yeah, nice kill. i've been wanting to get ahold of one those SRT10 trucks in my TB. see one around town alot, but never can get her (yes, HER) to get on it. she just kinda looks at me and sticks her nose up. with the exception of a select few i've seen it must be a requirment to be a snobby prick to buy any SRT vehicle

Edited by mattstbss (see edit history)

i think it is great that you can take a $30k truck and put a couple $k in to it and hand a $50k 500 hp truck its a$$.  evil5.gif

Why is it you take off about 12 grand from the SS sticker when you talk about it, but only 2 grand of the SRT sticker??? If the SS is a $30k truck then the SRT is a $40k truck. With employee discounts people are getting SRT's cheaper than that!

And, I think he put more than "a couple $k" into his truck. ;)

i have to agree with 1stdodge here. sticker on my new ss was 38k and the reg cab srt-10 was 42k. not 20k difference. and being a former dodge owner i think the srt-10 is a pretty good looking truck in its own way. i had two reasons for leaving my dodge for a chevy. first and foremost was the lack of aftermarket parts for dodge. second is it was time to buy a new truck anyways and i would have bought an srt-10 (who cares about gas mileage with 500hp!) except my wife won't drive stick and occassionally she needs to drive the truck so i ended up with an ss instead. im happy with my chevy but don't think i would have hated an srt-10 either.

42K for a single cab truck is too much. Id rather have an AWD extended cab SS with a blower (which still would come to around $42K if you know how to bargain on a new truck).

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, if we all liked the SS then everyone in the world would drive a Chevy and not a Dodge. The world cant be perfect... because there are those who drive Dodge.

:jester:

42K for a single cab truck is too much.  Id rather have an AWD extended cab SS with a blower (which still would come to around $42K if you know how to bargain on a new truck). 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, if we all liked the SS then everyone in the world would drive a Chevy and not a Dodge.  The world cant be perfect...  because there are those who drive Dodge.

here's the math i come up with. 38k sticker for 06 2wd extended ss with 345 hp or 42k sticker for reg cab 06 srt-10 with 500hp. in actuallity i probably could have gotten an srt-10 down to 35 or so but i got my ss for under 30 since they were blowin out the 06's. so be serious with your comparisons at least. and there is no way that you could in 03, 04, 05 buy an awd ss and put all the mods you did ( < Radix w/ 3.0" Pulley > Airaid CAI > JBA Shorties > Magnaflow DI/IO 3" exhaust > Custom tuned PCM > Toy Shop built 4L65E w/ vette servo and Yank TT2600) for under 40k. :icon_bs:

42K for a single cab truck is too much.  Id rather have an AWD extended cab SS with a blower (which still would come to around $42K if you know how to bargain on a new truck). 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, if we all liked the SS then everyone in the world would drive a Chevy and not a Dodge.  The world cant be perfect...  because there are those who drive Dodge.

here's the math i come up with. 38k sticker for 06 2wd extended ss with 345 hp or 42k sticker for reg cab 06 srt-10 with 500hp. in actuallity i probably could have gotten an srt-10 down to 35 or so but i got my ss for under 30 since they were blowin out the 06's. so be serious with your comparisons at least. and there is no way that you could in 03, 04, 05 buy an awd ss and put all the mods you did ( < Radix w/ 3.0" Pulley > Airaid CAI > JBA Shorties > Magnaflow DI/IO 3" exhaust > Custom tuned PCM > Toy Shop built 4L65E w/ vette servo and Yank TT2600) for under 40k. :icon_bs:

It could be possible to have done it with a 2003 SS. I picked up mine as a demo vehicle, wanted a new one but it was sold when I returned on Monday...I gladly took the demo vehicle. GM discount, demo vehicle discount, GM Loyality ($1,000) and at the end of July 2003 you could combine GM discount with the GM card money built up!! So if you were lucky enough to graduate college and have a grandmother who had built up a lot of GM dollars by spending on her credit card you coud have combined that $$$$ with all the rest. My grandma didn't plan on purchasing a new GM any time soon so that was my graduation present. I give my grandmother kisses everytime I see her. :D

DW

I dont get your math, your comparing an extended cab Chevy to a single cab manual transmission DODGE? I bought my SS for under $27K, and it already had most of the mods. I got a really good deal on my Radix (really good, dont ask). I dont want a single cab, if I wanted a 2 seater I would have bought a vette. I dont think I could have found a quad cab SRT10 (thats not even AWD) for the same price I got my SS for, and supercharged.

To end this discussion, I just want to point out that I dont like the Dodge styling, it looks bloated and cheap. I bought the SS because it looks better, and is better.

:thumbs:

The biggest reason's I bought the SRT was, 500hp, 4 full doors and can tow my boat. All this with a factory warranty! Put a blower on a SS and most times your warranty is done.

I would have much rather built the SS up to the horsepower level of the SRT, but I could not afford to deal with blown engines or transmissions, out of my pocket.