heat exchanger relocation issue

jboyss

ok so i noticed that if i where to install the heat exchanger upsidedown and backwards it would sit a little higher. Is this ok to do and do i still mount the hoses in the same places? I have picks of it done both ways. Someone please let me know the right way.

This one shows the way i want to do it. post-4893-1157840634_thumb.jpg

This one shows the way my guts tells me is the right way though. post-4893-1157840607_thumb.jpgpost-4893-1157840617_thumb.jpg

If you notice the bracket is on a different side for each way.

Just went out and tried it the first way shown and realized it wont work cause the frame is in the way. Is it ok to reverse it?

Edited by jboyss (see edit history)

I don't think the heat exchanger cares which way it is mounted. The only consideration I can think of is having the upper tube be the inlet (heat rises) and the lower tube be the outlet. Are you going to mount electric fans behind the heat exchanger? If not, think about it, they help a lot, especially since you don't get the airflow from the engine fan when you mount it down there. If you are going to do electric fans behind the heat exchanger, consider which mounting method will leave you with room for the fans.

I used a different heat exchanger, but this might be of interest

intercooler upgrage

Are you going to mount electric fans behind the heat exchanger?  If not, think about it, they help a lot, especially since you don't get the airflow from the engine fan when you mount it down there.  If you are going to do electric fans behind the heat exchanger,  consider which mounting method will leave you with room for the fans.

I agree. I had my intercooler mounted in the lower bumper for about a day. While sitting in traffic, my IAT's went into the 160's :eek: That weekend the intercooler went back to its stock location. I still have plans to relocate it though.

ok so i noticed that if i where to install the heat exchanger upsidedown and backwards it would sit a little higher.  Is this ok to do and do i still mount the hoses in the same places?  I have picks of it done both ways. Someone please let me know the right way.

This one shows the way i want to do it. post-4893-1157840634_thumb.jpg

This one shows the way my guts tells me is the right way though.  post-4893-1157840607_thumb.jpgpost-4893-1157840617_thumb.jpg

If you notice the bracket is on a different side for each way.

Just went out and tried it the first way shown and realized it wont work cause the frame is in the way.  Is it ok to reverse it?

the way you have it mounted is technically the right way, not the way I mounted mine

Krambo- So your saying that unless you run the electric fans with the heatexchanger, relocating under the grill is not worth it?

Naaa, I wouldn't say that. The true benefit will be letting the stock tranny cooler see the cool air first. I had a burnt out FAL fan motor at the time (driver's side) I temp. did the relocation. I just used cable ties and some padding :yellow_loser: to see if the tranny temps would be lower. I got stuck in traffic and the IAT's shot through the roof. I think since my one fan was dead, it created a whirling effect and pushed hot engine air backwards through my intercooler in the lower bumper. Small, switch activated fans behind the relocated intercooler would kick ass don't ya think? ;)

Small, switch activated fans behind the relocated intercooler would kick ass don't ya think?  ;)

Why use a switch? Mine just come on and off with the engine. I did add a jumper so I could run then with the ignition off, along with the intercooler pump. Fun way to cool down at the track. I also added a thermostat switch so the heat exchanger fans would be off in cold weather. Well, for what passes for "cold" here in Southern California :D

Small, switch activated fans behind the relocated intercooler would kick ass don't ya think?  ;)

Why use a switch? Mine just come on and off with the engine. I did add a jumper so I could run then with the ignition off, along with the intercooler pump. Fun way to cool down at the track. I also added a thermostat switch so the heat exchanger fans would be off in cold weather. Well, for what passes for "cold" here in Southern California :D

You got it Dave! Full control when you need it (at the track or traffic). I have a small fan that I have been messing with. I had it wired into my E-fans which are PCM controlled with (when needed) a manual switch but I wanted control of the intercooler fan separately. I since wired the fan into the E-fans with a manual "on/off switch". I need to finish up that install as it is now sitting on the shelf :sigh: