Waiting for reg cab or more HP?

boycer

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to remember, with all of this talk about the regular cab SS coming out in 2004......... and that it will run with a stock Lightning. You are talking about a stock '99-03 Lightning. This is a moving target that you are shooting for, and with the redesigned F150, there WILL be a new Lightning with much more power than the current one. As the owner of an '01 Lightning (yes it is stock...... mid 13's), I have take the SVT survey on the future of the Lightning......... and the future is lookin mighty good. :D

That is the problem with being way behind the curve........ they have a head start, and are moving ahead. It is kinda like when you are at the track and your competitor pulls a .515 light, and you pull a 1.05 light......... it is kinda hard to catch up.

It will be interesting to see what develops in the near future, that is all I can say. :)

I agree Lightnings are bad ass trucks. And they are getting better each year, and they will more than likely come up with a more powerful L to go with the more powerful F-150.

However, keep in mind, that the concept SS is faster than the lightning naturally asperated. While the high compression ratio will keep anyone from running too much boost on any forced induction possiblites, that is still an option to add that is good for alot more poer.

Also, Chevy is not behind the curve, they have simply chosen not to be on it until now. They are capable of making a truck every bit as fast and much faster than the current SVT Lighting and that will not change even when the L is upgraded, just for some reason they are chosing not too make a competitive super truck at this time.

Point is this, while the SS doesnt hang with the L, that doesnt make Chevy behind the curve, its not like they have to "catch up" on technology, in order to compete, they just have to decide thats what they want to do.

demonsilverado has an excellent point-

how many past chevy had to have super-chargers

to kick ass-i personally believe that if chevy decided

to whip up on the L 5.4 liter modular v-8. they would

do it with the 5.3 liter and leave it natural-just to

show ford the true meaning of power. hey, dont get

me wrong superchargers are kind of neat to look

at-but nothing comes close to natural v-8 grunt.

except for a hot chick in the cab with you while

you grunt. B)

However, keep in mind, that the concept SS is faster than the lightning naturally asperated. While the high compression ratio will keep anyone from running too much boost on any forced induction possiblites, that is still an option to add that is good for alot more poer.

How do you figure??? the only concept ss I've ever seen tested ran a 14.1. That is almost a half second slower than the stock lightning..and for less than $2500 you can knock atleast a full second off of the L.

Wait till 2005 when Ford releases the L with a 4 Valve Head and a Twin-Screw Supercharger...

It ALWAYS makes me laugh to see L owners that have no appreciation for competition on this site (not all of them, but most). They have nothing better to do than troll. :nono:

Fact is, I can beat all their asses, so there...good thing your L is fast, you'll need it running away. :thumbs:

Yeah Muscle, I dont recall this being SVTLIghtning.com. Do you? :nono:

Hello all! New here. Just picked up the Dec Hot Rod magazine. On page 18, it says the regular cab "will be available during the first half of 2003 through and Chevy dealer". If this is true and the price is under $25K. I will be buying one. Hope so!

Mav

I don't own an L. and I think competition is much needed in the market. Competition will only help everyone! I've owned as many chevys as I have fords and my fastest vehicle ever was an 83 Monte Carlo LS with a built 350. If Chevy builds a better faster truck then I may make that my next vehicle. The point was that someone said that the concept SS was faster than the lightning naturally aspirated and this is simply not true.

If this is the SS Concept, http://www.fordvschevy.com/chevy/silverado_ss.html, you are talking about, then it was tested running a 14.08, which is about a half second slower than a stock L.

Not trying to start a flame war. Just show me the time for a SS Concept that is faster than 13.5 in the quarter. I can show you many 13.5 second stock Lightnings.

f150intally, that is basically the same truck with the same power plant. With 395HP/409TQ and weighing in at 4200 pounds this truck is capable of low 13's and with traction and nice weather easy high 12's. Those who test drove it, did not do it justice.

Mav

Also to ad to the last post on concept ss reg cab performance(which no one knows yet) the specs add

custom exhaust headers which was not shown on 99'

gold ss reg cab ss. Plus delphi engine mgmt systm(not a clue on performance advantage). Just wondering if it

might be "slightly under rated" as some of the late camaros were. 04' will hopefully see a reg cab ss

truck to purchase. I think every performance person that is is interested in a hot truck will be standing in line to purchase a reg cab ss truck like the SEMA reg cab SS. I will be the first in line.!!!!

If anyone( MERV) can confirm a reg cab SS greenlight

for production and also what month or months that it might be on GM AUTOBOOK to order, I would be a very happy GM buyer. Come on MERV, ask or arm twist

your inside sources at GM as to the availability of a reg cab SS. Will it be here by 03' summer as HOTROD magazine dec issue stated? Come on MERV,we all are waiting on your (inside GM source) post. Please something positive.

JSK

I have posted on this board for a long time, and am far from being a troll. Currently I own about 2x as many GM products as Ford products, so there is no bias there. Frankly, I get tired of people popping out the troll word any time someone has a different opinion. I am a performance person....... and I don't care who makes it.

I have never said that GM couldn't make a truck that is faster than the L...... anyone can. However, currently, they have chosen not to. That is a fact. All of the would haves, could haves, mights, and maybes will not change that fact. They also have not made small volume niche vehicles, and have only started a performance division...... thus Ford has a 10-year lead on how to successfully produce a small volume product at a profit. This is all I have said.

Back in 98, when the reporting first started on the G2 Lightnings, GM came out with a concept SS that was badass. The Lightnings hit the streets, and GM is still showing its concept. All the GM faithful were oohing and ahhhing over it, and telling the Ford people how it was going to kick the L's ass. Fast forward to model year 2003, and while GM has continued to show various concept SS vehicles, the one they produce for the as far from the concepts as is humanly possible. This does not instill faith in many performance enthusiasts, like myself, that this will change anytime soon. Do I want it to change??? Hell yes. If it is a better performance buy, I would probably buy one (the reason I am here is for inside info, and to find out the real scoop on what is going on with these trucks). Thus, when these new concepts come out, I just don't get too exited. When the truck makes it to production as shown...... then I will get excited.

Competition is best for everyone. If the SS outruns the L in stock form..... great !!!! This will raise the bar, and all of us performance enthusiasts will benefit. :)

Archived