FAST vs. LS6 intake?

j4nash

dumb question,How do you port a fast intake??

:withstupid: sounds like a sticky melted plastic mess. I was reading in the first link to LS1tech about guys cutting open the LS2 and LS6 intakes and porting them and some how bonding them back together. WTF is that :dunno: sounds like they are asking for an intake leak and I would guess they never plan to run boost with that intake.

At this point the 90mm throttle body conversion on the electronic throttle control trucks isn't working out so well. Somewhere I have a few files that show the difference. I just haven't found them yet.

I've been talking with Kenne Bell about there new big bore S/C kit (2.8L)

Here are the results from a ZO6 w/ the 90mm TB added onto it. 32 hp gained on a boosted vehical. I know it is a vette but I'm trying to show results from a 90mm up grade.

FROM KENNE BELL.............

DYNO TEST COMPARISONS

These tests were conducted on an ‘02 ZO6 6 speed. It was tuned to 22° and 11:1 air fuel ratio to minimize comparison variables. Everything possible was done to guarantee test accuracy. Pay particular attention to the massive torque and HP at the various rpm points of the engine. Dynos measure torque and then convert the torque readings to HP.

This is a comparison between two Kenne Bell customer cars, a yellow ‘04 ZO6 and an ‘05 Ford GT Supercar. Both were tested with 91 octane on the same dyno. Obviously, a Kenne Bell equipped Corvette can hold it’s own against the Ford GT, even with only a 7 psi kit.

350HP ‘99-’04 C5 HP/TQ CALCULATION

To determine HP and TORQUE gains from 350HP, use 315RWHP instead of 367 and calculate with the % gains shown in table. Example: Use TEST 2 “Standard Kit” with 43% HP increase: 1.43 x 315 = 450RWHP vs 525RWHP for the ZO6.

• Boost measured on output side of intercooler.

• 8 rib belt system recommended after 12 psi.

• All tests SAE corrected.

• Divide by .85 for engine dyno HP and torque.

• Test car was ‘02 ZO6 manual trans.

TEST 1 - Stock ‘02 ZO6 Vette with 22° timing, 11.0 AF ratio. See Test 3 for a direct comparison of equal tuning supercharged and naturally aspirated.

TEST 2 - Kenne Bell 7 psi kit with timing set at 18 for 91 octane pump gas.

TEST 3 - Kenne Bell 7 psi kit with more aggressive 22° timing and 11.0 AF ratio to compare equal fuel and timing tune. 4° timing is 24HP. This setup could be used for competition or weekend racing with higher octane unleaded racing fuel.

TEST 4 - Here we get some idea of the kit’s HP potential adding 1 psi of boost from an efficient supercharger has a huge effect on power output as seen in Test 4 vs. Test 3. 20HP (569 vs. 549) and 37 ft. lbs. (557 vs. 520) from a simple easy 4 minute pulley change from 3-3/4” to 3-1/2”. And you don’t need a big puller to change a pulley. Note: 1.5-2 octane is required to support 1 psi of boost.

TEST 5 - Add a 90mm throttle body and we see an instant 20HP with the same 3-3/4” pulley.

TEST 6 - A 90mm LS2 throttle body was added. With the 3-1/2” pulley (Test 4), we recorded 32HP (601 vs. 569). The Twin Screw loves it when inlet restriction is lowered. In this case, 3.7” Hg vs. 4.7" Hg.

At this point the 90mm throttle body conversion on the electronic throttle control trucks isn't working out so well. Somewhere I have a few files that show the difference. I just haven't found them yet.

I had no issues on mine. The lower portion cracked, but it ran great.

LS6 vs LS2 vs FAST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this isn't truly internal engine related, but in the interest of having one thread to discuss these results we are posting them here.

Intake Test: LS2 vs LS6 vs FAST

We here at GearChatter are committed to providing real answers to the questions everyone is asking when it comes to engine components and the ability to make horsepower. Intake manifolds have been a hot topic, so we had some independent testing done by a professional engine/dyno facility to find some answers! Read’em and discuss --- there is more to come!

Engine Description: GM Performance 5.7L LS1 crate engine tested with Kooks F-body 1-3/4” long tube headers with 2-1/2” lead pipes into Flowmaster mufflers. Factory front drive accessory was used with the water pump, power steering, and alternator. Stock LS1 heads and short block, GM Performance “Hot Cam” with LS6 valve springs are the only engine upgrades.

Engine was tested using the factory PCM. The intent was to test the intakes just as the average user would install them --- no custom programming. Granted, custom programming would increase the power of each combination somewhat, as the detailed info from the tests indicates that each intake had some “holes” in specific RPM ranges that could be corrected to improve the HP of each intake. But in the end, the general tendencies would remain as they are. We have over 30-pages of test info for those who want to dig-in to the detailed data and we would be more than happy to mail this info to anyone who wants to see it for the price of the copies plus postage.

We have summarized the test for your viewing pleasure.

Some points to keep in mind; we have included averages for specific RPM ranges – Low, Mid, and High. The engine does not stay at a constant RPM, so we feel it is important to see these numbers. Hey, if you leave the starting line at 4500 and shift at 6300, then it might be nice to see the average for that range!

Do not forget, this is a 5.7L with a rather mild cam upgrade! Engines with different RPM ranges and more cubic inches may have totally different results. We are just reporting what we tested. And BTW, we will have some intake results for a 6.0L LS2 very soon!

Test 1 – LS6 Intake with Stock 78mm TB.

The best low and mid range numbers of all the combinations. The LS6 would seem to be the best bet for all-around street driving/racing on this combination. As the engine moves past the 6000 rpm range, the LS6 plenum volume may not be large enough to keep up with the demand for more air. The LS6 made the highest peak torque number.

Test 2 – LS2 Intake with Stock 78mm TB.

We made a thin adapter to bolt the 78mm TB onto the LS2 intake to see the real comparison from LS6 to LS2.

Want to kill 10hp and 10ft-lbs of torque? That is what happened! Obviously the 5.7L does not like this big intake. We thought the 78mm TB might help by keeping the air velocity up on this big plenum intake. Did not work!

Test 3 – LS2 Intake with FAST 90mm TB.

As long as we were here, let’s try it!

Our intuition told us that this probably would not work and it didn’t! But it is interesting to note that the power was not significantly hurt from the addition of a bigger TB either. In fact the two curves are almost identical.

Test 4 –FAST with the FAST 90mm TB.

Now it is obvious that the FAST wants to make more power up high --- above 6000rpm. But when you look at the low and mid range the LS6 is definitely better, but when you hit 4000rpm the FAST wants to carry the torque curve further than the LS6. The FAST made the highest peak HP number, 432hp @ 6000rpm.

Lots to discuss here; plenum volumes, runner lengths, TB sizes, what would ported heads do, etc. We have heard of people bolting on the LS2 intake to a 5.7L and the car felt lazy, it is easy to see why! The engine lost torque everywhere!

Sounds like a pretty well done test other than I think it should have had a locked pcm timing curve. The one thing that will show up with the Fast is that as cfm demand goes up (cam and/or cubes), that torque curve that the LS6 intake has and advantage on is going to slowly demish and the Fast will be better everywhere.