22,000 Mile Fluids Question

Im deployed right now and Im going to have my girlfriend take the truck in for some maintenance since Im not home. The truck has 22,000 miles on it now. What fluids should I have the dealer change or look at regarding the drivetrain. I assumed it was time for a axle and tranny change but what about all the differential issues everyone has had. Should anything be looked at regarding the differential while they are down there? Am I correct on the axle and tranny fluids being changed? I just want to make this as simple for her as possible so they dont take advantage of her for any reason. Thanks guys.... Later :driving:

Transmission - new filter, flush and refill

Rear axle - if the fluid was changed at 500-miles (break-in) then I would not change it until 40K-miles; if it has never been changed I would do so right away.

Also have the front steering/suspension lubed.

You might have the air cleaner element checked.

That's everything I can think of...

Mr. P. :)

edit - have any recall work done too.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed several of you guys say to change the rear diff fluid at 500 miles.....I've gone thru my owners manual and see nothing about this 500 mile breakin change?!?!

Maybe its because my truck is AWD and not 2WD?

Where did this come about....maybe some drag racers lore like changing your engine oil as soon as you get the car or truck home to remove the "breakin oil" the factory put in the engine?!?!?!

Please enlighten me....I've got about 2100 miles on my new Denali CC/SB and I sure would hate to mess up my gears!

Edited by VMaxDenali (see edit history)

Transmission - new filter, flush and refill

Rear axle - if the fluid was changed at 500-miles (break-in) then I would not change it until 40K-miles; if it has never been changed I would do so right away.

Also have the front steering/suspension lubed.

You might have the air cleaner element checked.

That's everything I can think of...

edit - have any recall work done too.

Mr. P, my 06 SS has 2700 niles on it and I haven't changed the diff. oil yet. The reason why is because the scheduled maintanence in the owner's manual does not state to change it because it's factory sealed and filled with synthetic fluid. Does the synthetic fluid really need to be changed within 500 miles? What dou you think ?, I really respect your opinion from reading all of your posts. What effects will I notice if I don't change it right away and how often should it be changed on a regular basis? Any help I'd really appreciate. Thanks Aaron...

Cold oil =  :sick: I do mine warm.

So I just changed it, I used Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W/90W diff. oil. My 06 was different from the "How To" I got under there and there was a drainplug and a fill plug. I drained it all and filled it up with about 3.5 quarts, drove it, rechecked it and it's perfect. I bought the gasket but didn't need it because I didn't have to remove the diff. housing. Overall it worked out great... Thanks for all your help Mr. P !!!