Replacing Factory Speakers

2006SilverSS

I was going to replace all the Bose speakers with Infinity Kapas that I bought but ran into some problems. I can't seem to get the driver or passenger door apart. I tried for quite some time to get the door apart with no luck.

Does anyone know how to take this apart????

any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

After you take the clips are screws out, I think there is a screw under or around the door handle. If my memory serves me right the door skin is hung on the door framing so I think the skin needs to be pulled up and then out...someone back me up on this :)

Hey rivierakid55,

I already did a swap on the deck, I am running a Pioneer AVIC-D1. I'm also already running one amp to the subs that I have... The reason for replacing the stock speakers is to get rid of a noise coming from them and also of course to have better sound since the new ones will be amp'd :D .

Any help would be appreciated since I was hopping to the install myself since I didn't care for the work that the place I went to before did. I found several things this past weekend when I had most of the truck apart that I didn't like :( .

Thanks.

wow someone else feeling my pain. i'm re doin all the audio wiring in my truck but i'm bypassing the bose amp and running my door speakers from the deck. the first step to removing your door skin is removing the screw by the door handle and one on the underside of the door in the middle get on your back and open the door you'll see it. this releases the tray on the bottom of your door you can just pull it out. from here you can detatch the door light wire. get a screw driver and remove the cover around the door handle it just pops in. also use the screw driver to remove the lock display, unlock the door so it shows red and then pry on the left side of it (if your on the driver door). also remove the triangle cover right above the skin and next to the window by prying on it. then lift straight up on the skin when all the clips are free you will have yo disconect a few harnesses and the door handle will be free, to get off the bose speakers push down on the tab on top of the speaker mount and disconnect the speaker wire. this process isn't that bad just be careful with your door. i have my entire dash apart and all four doors taken apart and my back seat out so i can rewire my subwoofer amp and i'm going to add an amp for my door speakers.

wow someone else feeling my pain. i'm re doin all the audio wiring in my truck but i'm bypassing the bose amp and running my door speakers from the deck.  the first step to removing your door skin is removing the screw by the door handle and one on the underside of the door in the middle get on your back and open the door you'll see it.  this releases the tray on the bottom of your door you can just pull it out. from here you can detatch the door light wire.  get a screw driver and remove the cover around the door handle it just pops in. also use the screw driver to remove the lock display, unlock the door so it shows red and then pry on the left side of it (if your on the driver door).  also remove the triangle cover right above the skin and next to the window by prying on it. then lift straight up on the skin when all the clips are free you will have yo disconect a few harnesses and the door handle will be free, to get off the bose speakers push down on the tab on top of the speaker mount and disconnect the speaker wire. this process isn't that bad just be careful with your door.  i have my entire dash apart and all four doors taken apart and my back seat out so i can rewire my subwoofer amp and i'm going to add an amp for my door speakers.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to try this the next time I get a chance. I'm also going to be running an amp to these speakers so it should be interesting redoing all the wiring.

Thanks again

wow someone else feeling my pain. i'm re doin all the audio wiring in my truck but i'm bypassing the bose amp and running my door speakers from the deck.  the first step to removing your door skin is removing the screw by the door handle and one on the underside of the door in the middle get on your back and open the door you'll see it.  this releases the tray on the bottom of your door you can just pull it out. from here you can detatch the door light wire.  get a screw driver and remove the cover around the door handle it just pops in. also use the screw driver to remove the lock display, unlock the door so it shows red and then pry on the left side of it (if your on the driver door).  also remove the triangle cover right above the skin and next to the window by prying on it. then lift straight up on the skin when all the clips are free you will have yo disconect a few harnesses and the door handle will be free, to get off the bose speakers push down on the tab on top of the speaker mount and disconnect the speaker wire. this process isn't that bad just be careful with your door.  i have my entire dash apart and all four doors taken apart and my back seat out so i can rewire my subwoofer amp and i'm going to add an amp for my door speakers.

pretty cool, im gonna be doing all of this in a few weeks installing new speakers amp and sound deadener

• 1 month later...

There is one (7mm) screw right under the armrest and one under the door handle cover.

Take off the triangle piece (at the top of the door, where mirror mounts, pry off, use caution so you don't scratch your paint.).

Use a small screwdiver to pop off the switches cover. (look at the edge, there are two small slots. push in right there to cause the springlocks to release easier.) unhook the wiring from the switches. (Can't mess this up they only plug-in one way.)

You do not need to take the screw out that holds the door pocket in at the bottom.

When you get that all done, lift straight-up on the door. It will come up about an inch. Then you can lean it out towards you. There are two brackets along the bottom that hold it while you unhook the door light and tweeter. Also you do not have to take the manual lock switch off, but it does make it easier to get it back on if you don't have it in the right posistion. Speakers (woofer) pops right out.

Use caution when mounting new speakers as the door cover may not cover them as well as the stock ones. You'll notice the stocks have a foam edge that covers the gap between the door skin and the door. I left the aftermarket speaker grills on under the trucks factory grills. It looked great. If I did it again I would paint the aftermarket grills a bright color to show under the stock door grills. (this was my last Chevy) Haven't changed the SS speakers...YET. I need to finish my soundproofing of the doors. :banghead:

Archived