HDDVD or BLUE-RAY?

COZWV

Anybody compared them or any thoughts on which one will win out?

I've seen the blu-ray at Circuit City and DAMN! :eek: what an awesome picture. As perfect as the HD channels I get through my cable company.

I figure the Blu-Ray players will drop in price by this winter but you know how this new electronics shit works. The consumer gets stuck with the latest thing that is no longer made in a couple of years. I haven't seen any of the HDDVD players yet.

Edited to fix the spelling of Blu-Ray. :banghead:

Edited by COZWV (see edit history)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BLUE-RAY is the way to go :thumbs: . I have seen the BLUE-RAY player before it was even released to the public, and i must say that wow they are going to change the way people watch movies at home.

BLUE-RAY has way more potential then HD-DVD. you can fit much more data on a BLUE-RAY disc then HD-DVD can. and the picture is better on blue ray as well. basically it is like comparing a regular DVD to the capacity of a cd.

the only thing that sucks about both of them is you have to have a HD TV that is full 1080. many clam to be hd but if it is not full 1080 then you would be waiting your money

also BLUE-RAY has more movie companys backing them then HD-DVD. so i belive it will be a waiting game for a year or two and then HD_DVD will die out.

I've seen/used/sell both, and each has its ups and downs. If I had to guess (and thats all it is at this point) I'd go HD DVD... my reasoning:

HD DVD is required per manufacture spec to be backwards compatible. This means ALL players must play all types of DVD's. Most blu ray players will too... but it is not required and some of the cheaper units coming to market will not play regular DVD's. People are more likely to adopt a technology if it doesn't mean they have to replace their entire movie library.

Pricing is key at this point, and not only did HD DVD beat BR to market... they've priced themselves more competitively accross the board.

Brand recognition. Everyone knows what HD means (high def) and everyone knows what a DVD is so logically its an understood technology for the general population. Blu Ray doesn't mean shit to most people right now unless they've been following the technology.

Cost of prodution. HD-DVD disc production only requires a simple retooling for the discs to be produced by places currently producing regular DVD's. This means studios don't have to sink a substantial investment in producing movies for sale. BR on the other hand is an entirely new production process... this may account for the expected higher price for the discs.

Studio backing is irrelevant at this point as most studios will want to make money in both platforms... those that don't will have to eventually to keep competitive.

REMEMBER... the better technology doesn't always win (even though in this case they're pretty much dead even) Just look at Beta vs. VHS... VHS won out, but most people will tell you BetaMax was a superior format for home movies.

SO... thats my 2 pennies... take it for what its worth... I'm not an expert, but working in the industry I'd like to think I have some inside perspective.... only time will tell for sure.

BLUE-RAY has way more potential then HD-DVD. you can fit much more data on a BLUE-RAY disc then HD-DVD can. and the picture is better on blue ray as well. basically it is like comparing a regular DVD to the capacity of a cd.

the only thing that sucks about both of them is you have to have a HD TV that is full 1080. many clam to be hd but if it is not full 1080 then you would be waiting your money

full 1080 is not required... 720p or 1080i capable TV's will display an HD picture... don't forget progressive is measured in half screens while interlaced is measured in full... so technically speaking its 1440 vs 1080... but thats a whole other argument. Ideally everyone should look into a 1080p set :cool:

dylan what is my tv??

1080i and 720p capable

Input signal correlation

1920*[email protected]/60Hz

720*[email protected]/60Hz

1280*[email protected]/60Hz

720(1440)*[email protected]/60Hz

1024x768p resolution

but what it displays has a lot to do with input/source... use the HDMI connection if possible (you have HD cable service right?) and make sure the cable or satellite box has 720p and 1080i output.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

cool just wanted to make sure i was getting the best picture, i have the hdmi , the little turd was expensive, 125$ for a 6 foot cord.

i also asked dylan the same question a while back, only time will tell. the new ps3 being blue ray may or may not help.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

cool just wanted to make sure i was getting the best picture, i have the hdmi , the little turd was expensive, 125$ for a 6 foot cord.

i also asked dylan the same question a while back, only time will tell. the new ps3 being blue ray may or may not help.

Yeah... those cables ain't cheap... I used a tributaries delta HDMI from work and the damn thing was almost $200 my cost :eek:

Problem with the PS3 is cost... anticipated $900 MSRP for the console... games in the $70-$100 range... and talk of charges for game upgrades, like exotic cars and special tracks for Gran Turismo HD that you'll have to pay for and download from Sonay :banghead:

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

Problem with the PS3 is cost... anticipated $900 MSRP for the console... games in the $70-$100 range... and talk of charges for game upgrades, like exotic cars and special tracks for Gran Turismo HD that you'll have to pay for and download from Sonay :banghead:

No Sh!t?? :eek: Wow, I had no idea they were looking at pricing it that high.

Oh yah, and when it comes to HDMI cables.. more expensive is not better. an HDMI cable only carries a digital signal.. its not analog, so it doesnt make a big difference. You will not be able to see a visible difference with a more expensive cable. If you are going over something like 25-30ft of HDMI cable, then you need to get better quality so it prevents signal loss. But a standard 6ft HDMI cable wil work just fine.. dont believe the 'cable' hype like those scam artists MONSTER cable. Go to www.pacificcable.com for any type of cabling ...

Oh yah, and when it comes to HDMI cables.. more expensive is not better.  an HDMI cable only carries a digital signal.. its not analog, so it doesnt make a big difference.  You will not be able to see a visible difference with a more expensive cable.  If you are going over something like 25-30ft of HDMI cable, then you need to get better quality so it prevents signal loss.  But a standard 6ft HDMI cable wil work just fine.. dont believe the 'cable' hype like those scam artists MONSTER cable.  Go to www.pacificcable.com for any type of cabling ...

I'm with you there. Computer store is a great place to pick up DVI & HDMI cables cheap locally. :thumbs:

Nah, the Premium PS3 is $599 and the 'bare bones' one is $499.  I will stick with the Xbox 360 and the add-on HD-DVD player.

I am betting HD-DVD is the standard in the near future..

Where'd you get those numbers?? Every interview and article I've read has placed the PS3 closer to $1000 :confused:

Oh yah, and when it comes to HDMI cables.. more expensive is not better.  an HDMI cable only carries a digital signal.. its not analog, so it doesnt make a big difference.  You will not be able to see a visible difference with a more expensive cable.  If you are going over something like 25-30ft of HDMI cable, then you need to get better quality so it prevents signal loss.  But a standard 6ft HDMI cable wil work just fine.. dont believe the 'cable' hype like those scam artists MONSTER cable.  Go to www.pacificcable.com for any type of cabling ...

While MONSTER maybe mostly hype, true high end cables make all the difference in the world. Materials, strand count, connection finish type, plating, and a host of other things make a dramatic impact on AV quality regardless of whether its digital or analog... for a basic system upgrades to cabling are fairly pointless... but to make the most of higher end components a high quality cable is a must.

Nah, the Premium PS3 is $599 and the 'bare bones' one is $499.  I will stick with the Xbox 360 and the add-on HD-DVD player.

I am betting HD-DVD is the standard in the near future..

Where'd you get those numbers?? Every interview and article I've read has placed the PS3 closer to $1000 :confused:

While MONSTER maybe mostly hype, true high end cables make all the difference in the world. Materials, strand count, connection finish type, plating, and a host of other things make a dramatic impact on AV quality regardless of whether its digital or analog... for a basic system upgrades to cabling are fairly pointless... but to make the most of higher end components a high quality cable is a must.

For myself I am partial to Sony, I believe they are superior to all other TV’s as well as many other products like blue-ray. I have seen tests run that demonstrate all brands of TVs compared to Sony and Sony wins hands down every time.

Just because HD-DVD was the first to market does not mean they will win out in the end. Sony’s Blue-Ray player also will play and DVD just like the HD-DVD. And it will also up-convert slandered DVD’s to HDMI.

One thing that Blue-Ray does have on there side is that there is more movie companies backing them then HD-DVD. And I feel that will play a major roll in who wins.

Also It does help that the play station uses blue-ray.

As for cables it is true that some are made better then others, monster being one of those. I will not disagree with that. But when you are talking HDMI cables, I’m not sold yet on spending $100-$200 on a cable yet. I have not been able to tell any difference between a Sony HDMI cable to a Monster HDMI.