not impressed with mods

eastcoastfloyd

just got back from the track tonight....my 06 vortec max went 15.2 stock and i put a magnaflow exhaust and k&n fipk intake and now it goes 15.1?!?! it was about the same temp out both times and i made numerous passes each time i was there so i cant figure out if its maybe the intake or the exaust you guys have any ideas?

In my oppionion people build power a$$ backwards :smash: in there trucks :dunno: I feel the FIRST modd should be the heart of your power adders like a S/C or a head and cam swap :thumbs: Its the most exspensive but will give you the most gains right from the start :D Now you can have fun enhanceing the power you added with the bolt ons :cheers: Just my .02 :cool:

yeah maybe i just need a tune and it will make a better differnce. it was at the same track when i ran the truck both times. the first time i ran it it only had 400 miles on it too and it feels way faster then when i first bought it. my 60's were

2.321 first run and 2.286 for the second run and times were

15.196 @ 89.68 first run and

15.135 @ 90.7 second run

i diddnt know if the k&n was not that good of an intake im my opinion an intake is an intake but i put one on my toyota tundra and went from 16.2 to 15.8 so i dont know any other vortec max's out there with any times? there was 93 in the truck both run and i should have just put a 100 shot on it and called it a day haha

I guess that means that GM engineered their air intake system a lot better than Toyota (no suprise to me). That may just show the factory parts aren't all that bad. However, a tune will make your mods work better plus you can unleash about 25hp or so from the conservative stock tune. IMO headers and exhaust would be the next mod in conjunction with a tune. You ought to be up 50hp by then.

Dave

just got back from the track tonight....my 06 vortec max went 15.2 stock and i put a magnaflow exhaust and k&n fipk intake and now it goes 15.1?!?! it was about the same temp out both times and i made numerous passes each time i was there so i cant figure out if its maybe the intake or the exaust you guys have any ideas?

I went 14.39 with Corsa Sport, K&N, and Nelson tune. IMO, get a tune.

Get a Zippy tune or PCMforless PCM. I've got only the Airaid intake, pro-flo exhaust and a PCM from Pcmforless that Zippy touched up and I ran 14.6 last spring. Zippys retune knocked off about .03 for me.

like veryone else said...get a tune. I wouldn't expect much of an increase with just a CAI and exhaust. I would add some headers, a shift kit and torque converter. That would help a lot. The TBTC is suppose to knock off .3 - .5 for SS guys, should also help you. :D