Daiblo

Blaker888

For my part, I am not trying to argue... I honestly mean that... I have used both products and I  program industrial controls every single day, so I know what software is all about. So I will refrain from any further attempt to convey my experienced opinion that the Diablo cannot support the level of tuning that HP Tuners can.

On the 2 Bar Speed Density issue... At some point when adding boost, you will exceed airflow that the MAF is capable of supporting. The stock MAF on our trucks are the largest in the industry for production vehicles, including the Z06 and other models. Not sure about the later 2007 models coming out. Our MAF is capable of reading up to about 62-65 lbs/min. It reads airflow by heating a filament in the MAF and when air flows across this filament, it is cooled. GM engineering has decided to try to keep this filament at the same temperature at all times, so when air flows across it, it requires an additional load to keep the filament in the same temp range. This increased electrical load in measured and converted to a frequency input to the PCM. So what you will see in the log is both a lb/min parameter and a frequency in (HZ). The MAF has a fail safe setting programmed in the tune that has a premise that if this frequency is exceeded, then the MAF has failed, and the tune will revert to the VE table to keep the engine safely running. The stock failsafe on most trucks is set to 12,500 HZ.

Now, when you add FI, it is very easy to exceed the freq range established in the stock tune. Take for instance my centrifugal. I easily see 65 lb/min and max the MAF out abouve 12500 HZ. This is a problem since fueling is so important under WOT.

Secondly, a stock tune has a VE table that has a scale of 15 kPA to 105 kPA. Without getting into a lot of theory, a NA motor usually will have about -20" HG or vacuum at idle. When spinning it on up, and the throttle blade goes WOT, the motor at that point is seeing atmospheric pressure. Since there is not a power adder creating boost, thats all it can make...in thoery... I know of some cammed cars making a little boost....

Anyway, idle vacuum is measure at around 30-35 kPA on a stock 5.3L and will usually make a run up to 103 kPA under WOT. The stock tune and PCM can handle this scale easily and is why GM engineers use the VE table scaled as such. 103 kPA it atmospehric pressure at sealevel, or there abouts...

Now, here is where it gets dicey... Say you add a blower, or turbo,..... You now are creating boost... Most people measure this in PSI... I typically measure it in kPA. Since every 1 psi of boost is equivalent to 6.8 kpa, it is easy to see where my truck running the centrigal blower is easily seeing 185- 190 kPA under WOT conditions. I have logged this several times here of late. Now if I am generating that much boost, then how can the VE table possibly keep up. It can't..... What happens is after about 4000 rpm, your truck quits relying on fueling being determined by the VE table and rely's on the MAF for anything under WOT, or your PE threshold, which I set at about 90 kPA. When running under boost, the MAF is providing feedback for fueling, but hey, didn't I mention I am exceeding the MAF failsafe threshold..? and when you exceed that threshold, doesn't it revert to the VE table...? and if the VE table is only scaled to 105 kPA, how is it providing fueling at 190 kPA..?

In steps the 2 BAR speed density OS. It does a lot of things not covered here, but the main two things it does is one: It doubles the VE table scale. You now can tune from 5 kPA - 210 kPA... and two: since you can tune fueling now in boost as well as vacuum, it does away with the MAF in it's entirety... Yes, that MAF you guys have been spending hundreds of dollars on to replace with Granatelli's, is now thrown in the garbage can....

Fueling is more precise, throttle response is better, and power is more consistent....

So in general layman's terms, that is a 2 BAR speed density tune.. Others will probably add to what I have forgotten, but this covers the meat of it...

Oh, I just have to say it... supported by HP Tuners, EFI Live, Roadrunner, etc..

Edit: spelling errors due to lack of caffiene....

Thanks man I of better understanding now of what u guys where talking about and what it means! :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aren't you able to make the diablo into a custom????

Yes, the cal team at Diablosport can write any tune you want with the same capability of HPT or EFILive ... The gap however is being able to communicate with them in enough detail to tell them what you are running and what you want ... If you don't have the lingo, it's gonna be tough to interface with one of their tuners, and they will then take some basic info and write you a tune ... which will be much better than the canned version ...

I am running a few pretty aggressive tunes here from them, but my 10% ethanol (RFG) fuel at a max of 91 octane mobil, I can't get as aggressive as I would like ...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the diablo and the PC connectivity kit.

All I had to do for the custom tune is contact Diablo via their website, make a couple of passes with the handheld programmer in real time monitor mode and it captures the output.

I then downloaded it to my PC and e-mailed to them, small file (1MB?) and they reviewed it and re-sent me another tune. The process then reversed, uploaded it to the tuner and then re-programmed my truck.

I had the same issue with the top speed limiter, all I did then though was returned the tune to stock, and then re-installed the Diablo tune again, problem solved.

You can go to the Diablo website and it will give you directions for all that I mentioned, and you can also download the software to load up your log files and review them yourself.

Good Luck.

All I had to do for the custom tune is contact Diablo via their website, make a couple of passes with the handheld programmer in real time monitor mode and it captures the output.

I then downloaded it to my PC and e-mailed to them, small file (1MB?) and they reviewed it and re-sent me another tune. The process then reversed, uploaded it to the tuner and then re-programmed my truck.

I had the same issue with the top speed limiter, all I did then though was returned the tune to stock, and then re-installed the Diablo tune again, problem solved.

You can go to the Diablo website and it will give you directions for all that I mentioned, and you can also download the software to load up your log files and review them yourself.

Good Luck.

You say you did the real time monitor mode how do u capture the ouput! Also where can I get this software!

I have reloaded the daiblo I think maybe two time Im not sure if I returned to stock and then reloaded but I will give it a try! It also gave me an error once while installing the tune! But was fine after that!

One other thing the guy who had it before me was running a 125 shot could it be his settings are still on there!

Good Luck.

You say you did the real time monitor mode how do u capture the ouput! Also where can I get this software!

I have reloaded the daiblo I think maybe two time Im not sure if I returned to stock and then reloaded but I will give it a try! It also gave me an error once while installing the tune! But was fine after that!

One other thing the guy who had it before me was running a 125 shot could it be his settings are still on there!

I will have to get home this weekend and look at my programmer and tell you how to capture the output, can't remember off the top of my head, but it should be available on their website (that's where I got it).

The software is on the website too. I had the same thing happen about the errors when I had a problem with the top end limiter, try only changing the top limiter (not any other tuning parameter) by itself.

As for the previous tune in there, It couldn't still be in there if the handheld downloaded your stock tune before you uploaded the performance tune to the truck (there would have been an error message, something like 'stock tune already exists'.

Hope this helps.

P.S. This may help: http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?modul...id=17#downloads

• 1 month later...

PCM Tuning Section:

All of your personal tuning concerns here (LS1 Edit, HP Tuners, EFI Live, Wideband, Logging Equipment, etc..) NO VENDOR PRAISES. NO POSTS ON HANDHELD UNITS OR MAIL ORDER TUNING.

Moved topic to Bolt On Performance section.

Archived