Personal Problem

SS Silv

As some of you my remember my post about how I suffered from depression and anxiety http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...topic=25384&hl=

The one problem why none of my treatment didn't work is because I never admited to them about my drinking problem. I know this is a truck forum and some people don't want to hear sappy stories, but I really feal comfortable talking to you guys about these types of things. It also feels real good to get it out.

Anywase, I finished my 4 weeks of anxiety/depression treatment and everything was going fine until I started drinking again, and for people who know about anti-anxiety medication, it is a no-no to drink with. I know I have had a drinking problem for atleast 4 years and ignored the fact up until now. I am 21 years old and am really proud of my self to admitting that I have an alchohol problem and is seeking for help. I will give you a little backround of my drinking habits, and they are not normal. The good thing is, is that my drinking has never effected my working habits or school, but when I would drink, man I would drink hard. During the weekends I would start drinking and wouldn't drink until I blacked out (everytime). I would wake up in places I had no idea how I got there. Then I would wake up in the morning and start drinking until I passed out again and would sometimes go on 5 day drinking binges. Then I would start drinking alone and would hide it from family and friends. I am getting tired of getting into trouble and hurting my family with my drinking problem. They knew about it but I would never admit to it and would just get mad when they told me I should get help. There is no way I am happy about this but I thought I would let you know why I am getting help and about my drinking habits. I would not only abuse alchohol but also prescription drugs, which is really hurting my body and if I keep it up I will not be alive much longer.

This is really going to be hard concidering I have a lot of friends and all of them drink, but they are real supportive and are willing to help me. I also have a great family that is very supportive. I am very lucky to have all these great people to help me while I go through treatment. I start my treatment on Monday and am very scared.It is an outpatient treatment so I get to go home at the end of the night, which will be nice.

I know I haven't contributed much to this site but it is a great place to hang out during past times and is filled with great people. I just ask for your support while I go through my treatment. Not sure If anyone has gone through this but all replies are going to be very appreciated. Thanks again. Bryan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

keep your head up man it sounds like you are really trying to nip this thing in the ass.. lifes full of hurdles some are just bigger jumps than others i dont know if there is much i personally can do to help you but if there is something just shoot me a pm.

mike

man i know where ur comming from i started drinkin hardcore when i was about 15 i hung out with older ppl and they could always get it (they werent 21 or anything they just knew ppl that were) my junior high experience was totally a blur i snuck out at night drink my self stupid and i would go to school the next day and sleep the day away in class and then do it again the next night. and then the weekends i would drink so much that i would puke blood the next day (pure blood not mixed with anything) i really thought i was dying sometimes but i guess over time i just kinda grew out of it..i still drink alot now but its more like socially instead of bymyself in my room hiding it from my parents. i never would admit to having a problem and i guess i still wouldnt. i have alot of respect for people like you. keep your head up and remember it can only get better. your friends will play a big role in your recovery and i hope they know that. i am 19 years old now and i dont drink half as much as i did when i was 15. good luck man and keep us posted.

You are already a step ahead of the game by being able to admit your problem. This is going to help you pave the road to success. Like "Oo p0op oO" said, your "REAL" friends and family will help you get past your addiction. Keep positive and you will see how your life will change for the better.

Hang in their Bryan and you will see that there are better things in life than drinking. Your buddies here on silveradoss.com will always support a fellow member! :thumbs:

Keep us posted on your recovery. :cheers:

You are already a step ahead of the game by being able to admit your problem. This is going to help you pave the road to success. Like "Oo p0op oO" said, your "REAL" friends and family will help you get past your addiction. Keep positive and you will see how your life will change for the better.

Hang in their Bryan and you will see that there are better things in life than drinking. Your buddies here on silveradoss.com will always support a fellow member!  :thumbs:

Keep us posted on your recovery.  :cheers:

:withstupid:

Most people won't admit to their problems or failures.

You're on your way to overcoming this obstacle because you've identified the problem.

Think positive and don't give up on yourself :thumbs:

Like Danny said, Keep us posted

Hey Bryan,

I think all of us are proud to see that you are taking care of yourself, and your problem. I know it's gonna be very hard to overcome your problem, and it must have been just as dificult to recognize and admit that you had one. If you ever need someone to talk to try talking to your family and friends, they will help you get through this, and dont forget that we're here too. Everyone here on SilveradoSS.com has become a member of a very diverse and at times, a very strange family, but we are here for ya bro.

Good luck

-Cody

Each of us has our cross to bear.

It sounds like you already know that you have been self-medicating with alcohol for years now. But the knowledge (or even acceptance) of that fact will not change your life's direction. You knew beforehand last week if your drinking were to get out of control again you would suffer a big/expensive setback, but judging by your actions that was not important enough to you at that moment to change the way you lived your life. I truly believe you when you share today that you want to live differently, but knowledge does not equal change; nor does acceptance equal change, or humility equal change. CHANGE equals change, and that comes from within. You already know that some of the ways you live your life are unsuccessful; one of these days it will become important enough to you that you'll actually make that break and start living your life differently, in a more successful way.

Let me tell you a bit about my ex-wife, because it's relevant to your current mindset. She's a depressive bi-polar, she was tested while we were married and she has a T3 problem or some such brain chemistry issue. But, before I met her she self-medicated with LSD from the age of 14. Like yourself, the entire time she knew living that way was not successful for her, but even though she recognized that was a self-destructive way to live her life it just didn't seem to matter enough to her that she would change the way she lived her life. She wanted to change, she knew for some unknown reason she should change, but at the end of the day it was just not important enough to follow through UNTIL at the age of 18 she got pregnant. The day she found out she was pregnant she quit cold turkey, for life - in other words, in that moment of clarity she decided that it was now important to her to stop living the way she had been, and she did a total 180. I met her a year later.

Please do not take it that I'm trying to beat you down, it is just at moments like this it's time to call things as they really are - "so be it, it is what it is". I am not trying to pick on you at all, just saying that it's time for you to move to the next step, and that is to figure out what you need to change into. Don't get caught-up asking yourself "how do I change" or "god I so need to change" but rather visualize "what do I want to change into" and then post back your answer. What kind of man do you want to be? When you have a clear vision of that and you can say out loud "I going to become ___________ (fill in the blank)" then there are a lot of very caring people that can advise you step-by-step how to achieve those personal goal(s).

I guess that's the point - the title of your thread here is "Personal Problem" and I can understand why you typed that; but I would encourage you to stop looking at yourself as a carrier of personal problems but rather a man with clear personal goals. From there it's just making a plan and working that plan. Be a self-made man on a mission.

You want my advice - here's my two cents: I would encourage you to adopt a piece of Marine planning, called the Rule Of Three. In the core, every person is assigned to have three tasks or responsibilities at any given time; not two, not four, but exactly three. So write down three things that you are going to achieve in the short term, an example might be "I am going to (1) attend all my classes, (2) interview doctors and find someone that can help me with my self-medicating by the end of this month, and (3) wash my truck." Now I made that example up, but I hope you get the point, make a list with three point-tasks on it that are concise and go to it.

Mr. P.

Hey Bryan, im glad you came out to the forum for help. its three in the morning and i was up all this time helping my buddy with his truck because im leaving to tampa for a show for the weekend. i just wanted to take this time make sure you know that we ( i think speak for the forum) are here for you. anyways i wish i can give some more insight right now but im knocking out. just remember admit it to yourself and get your friends to help you. you dont need liqour to have a good time. talk to you about this more soon. goodnight everyone

Hey Bryan, I know I'm kind of new here and hardly post, but i do come in here alot and read. It takes a real man to admit his problems and even a bigger man to take action and fix them. I know I am only 20 but hearing your story could help out other guys, so hang in there and get well soon, I'm cheering for ya.

I too suffer from depression, and it took me a while to figure it out. Along with the help of a loving wife, and a very good doctor. I'm not much of a drinker, just occasionally. I do know that if you find/have a good doctor that gets you on a treatment regiment, follow it. Take your med s, and communicate with him/her honestly on how/what the drugs do to you or for you. That way you can get on the right medication, and you will be a much happier person.

They always say that the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem. I give props to anyone who can admit their problem, especially publicly, and admits that they need/want help to correct this problem. You want to do this to improve your quality of life, and with the attitude that you have going in you WILL kick this thing square in the ass. As someone stated, this is the point in your life that you will find who your true friends are. We're here for you, and we're pulling for you. :thumbs: You can do it. :)

...Besides being really smart, he's a heck of a nice guy.  :thumbs:
I resent that comment :jester: And I'm just sharing my own life experience and insights, I'm sure there is a whole lot more a trained psycotherapist could add.

Mr. P.

Archived