Supercharging the SS

blackhawk

O.K…I am one of the skeptics on installing a supercharger on our vehicles. Friends of mine work at a local car dealership here in town were I live and have nothing but horror stories associated with the once was, Chevy thunder packages sold for the 5.3L engines. I know our motors are entirely different, but my biggest concern is long-term reliability for out transmissions and drive trains. A few individuals have already experienced problems with adding a considerable amount of power to the motors causing allot more stress on the tranny.

I would love to install a supercharger on my truck but concerns that I have had are now starting to become apparent.

Installing a supercharger is going to affect the long-term reliability of the transmission and soon going to cost allot of money in repairs. My question is:

1. Will the magnasun warranty cover the cost of replacing the transmission when it fails?? What exactly does the warranty cover? I know that adding a supercharger will void my factory warranty and I am skeptical as to what else will be voided in the future.

2. Everyone that has added a supercharger are you worried at all about future costs and repairs for you vehicle?

3. Also the AWD system on the SS how much power do you think the front-end can possible take before seizer??

I would love to just slap down my credit card and get on the deal offered from tbryne, but long term reliability and cost over the years is keeping me from doing so.

Any words of wisdom out there, or comforting??

Thanks guys… :cheers:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO...if you are going to spend the dough to get a quality charger and a quailty install...maybe the money should be spent on a quality tranny that can hold up to the power...such as setti's set up :thumbs: ...it all depends on how long you will keep the truck...i wouldn't want to drop all that chedda unless i was going to keep it and enjoy it for sometime...

personally i am going to wait until my warranty is up...which for me will probably be sometime in Feb or Mar...yeah i drive way to much...but then the serious mods will begin...

unless of course i end up buying a house finally...and it also depends on what i will be buying at that time for my daily driver...right there is another 40-50k...so those serious mods may begin slowly...and then i am afriad that i will just mod the hell out of my new vehicle at that point...when does this all end :crazy:

Darric, first of all, you should have the same concerns about any installation of Nitrous. No one with a supercharger has had problems that I'm aware of. Setti's came after he tried to alter the transmission, not from the supercharger.

Do I worry about the longevity of my tranny? No. My wife does, but frankly, I don't. If it goes, then I get the hp tranny. Strange solution to getting what you want I know, but that maybe what it takes to get. I'm not abusing to get there any quicker. As long as Dave is doing good on his, I have no worries. He has the most miles on his.

Unsure of the powertrain warranty, I didn't get. But, you may not be eligible for it with all you have already done. I think headers voided the warranty, but not sure.

The AWD? Well....we'll just have to see. MN C5 is still using his stock AWD system, I think, and have not heard of any problems there. As long as he isn't experiencing any, most of us shouldn't.

Repair of your vehicle is considerably less when you do yourself. So if I break anything, I fix and hopefully not break the bank in the process.

If I may...

This is legit concern. Ford added a 4 cylinder cut-off to the computer on the 1-2 shift to momentarily reduce torque and extend the life of the trans in the Lightnings. It might be news to you that the L trans is an F250 mechanism stuffed into a 150 housing...

Also, the Ford community has a guy called Gregg Evans (aka Factory Tech) to fall back on. Gregg makes a Valve body that mechanically shortens the shift duration under heavy throttle, resulting in quicker, firmer shifts and longer life of the clutch packs as they aren't "slipping" for so long. He also builds a "monster box" replacement tranny that most of the L guys switch to when they go beyond about 500 rwhp. Lots of hard parts and uprated clutch packs, etc. A couple of other guys are now building similiar Valve bodies but so far as I know Gregg is the original...

I don't know if Gregg does any chevy work or not but I had one of his valve bodies in my 01 and it was a SWEET addition. I plan to add one to my 03 after a couple of thousand miles of break in...

Just offered FWIW...

BTW, when you guys are putting on blowers and N20, are your stock PCMs handling the F/A ratio or are you doing some voodoo with the electronics?

:cheers:

Magnacharger comes with it's own program to change everything through a Superchips handheld. Some are starting to use LS1edit for more detailed changes.

Is there a website to look at the tranny's you were referring to or a way to get in touch with Gregg?

Most of the guys over at ls1tech that are running 12's and even 11's are going with FLP for their transmissions. I dont know if they have anything for the 4l65e but it would be worth a shot..

Yeah, I know....just looking at multiple sources.

Ben brougt me onboard with his way of thinking. I was also worried about the transmission going. But if it breaks I have to replace it so Mama won't be able to say no, right?

My concerns are more along the lines of the motor itself. Power is definately addicting and it is easy to make more, but sooner or later you will need to strengthen the internals also.

Magnacharger comes with it's own program to change everything through a Superchips handheld.  Some are starting to use LS1edit for more detailed changes.

Is there a website to look at the tranny's you were referring to or a way to get in touch with Gregg?

It appears that his site factorytechdirect.com is down right now, but he has a forum on NLOC -- Linky... He will usually post there at least a couple of times a week.

Gregg is a standup guy who personally signs and stands behind every part... If you look around on NLOC you can see the specs for his personal 4R100 (all titanium!!! :cool: )

ridnlow135 - can you direct me to FLP? I'd like to see their work...

Thanks for the fuel management info! :D

BTW, when you guys are putting on blowers and N20, are your stock PCMs handling the F/A ratio or are you doing some voodoo with the electronics?

Sooner or later most people with Blowers end up with LS1 Edit. A PCM hack that allows tuning via a windows interface vs hex.

voodoogold.jpg

Sooner or later most people with Blowers end up with LS1 Edit. A PCM hack that allows tuning via a windows interface vs hex.

voodoogold.jpg

Thanks for the info! :thumbs:

LMAO at the voodoo dolls!!! :jester::cheers:

Archived