$150 harness.......yes or no

Grohe

I'll keep this short. I have an 04 silverado (not ss). It is pretty bare minimum, no bose speakers, no steering wheel controls, and no onstar. I wanted to put the Alpine 9857 mp3 cd player in, and bought it at best buy. BUT they tried telling me that I needed a $150 harness in addition to the gm harness. They said that my alpine would work without it, but I would fail emissions testing. Has anybody heard of such a thing????? I have installed many cd players in many different cars, and this sounds like BS to me

sounds like bs to me... you may need an adapter, but not a $150 harness... you'd only need an adapter for onstar, steering wheel controls and maybe the door dinger, but since you've got a base package, i would think you only need the one for the H/U and possibly the dinger... but i'm not 100% sure

There are wire harnesses that are vehicle specific, but they are not needed. It just makes the install cleaner where you don't have to splice wires and such. The other things you might want are the adaptors for door chime, steering wheel controls, etc., but you don't have any of that. As for a $150.00 harness, was it an amp wiring kit or something?

150 WTF are they crazy? I just installed my Alpine 9856 in my 04 Silverado that I got from Crutchfield it was 40 bucks cuz I got the HU from them, if I just needed the Metra harness (same as posted above in the link) then it would of been 80 bucks. But 03 and above need that specific harness to keep the chimes and other electrical gremlins happy. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
I'll keep this short.  I have an 04 silverado (not ss).  It is pretty bare minimum, no bose speakers, no steering wheel controls, and no onstar.  I wanted to put the Alpine 9857 mp3 cd player in, and bought it at best buy.  BUT they tried telling me that I needed a $150 harness in addition to the gm harness.  They said that my alpine would work without it, but I would fail emissions testing.  Has anybody heard of such a thing?????  I have installed many cd players in many different cars, and this sounds like BS to me

:icon_bs: