Front diff again...

Hello all,

I am looking for some comparison/ advise. I have an 03 SS with 57K now. I had the entire front diff rebuilt at 53K and just had it rebuilt again Monday. The dealer can't seem to figure out why I am killing bearings so quickly... but the real question is: Does anyone else have substantial noise from the front diff on low speed turns. After first and second rebuild, the low speed growl never went away. Should I just accept this noise or go back on the dealer. GM has told them the low speed noise is "normal." I am at the point where I might sell the truck if I can't keep bearings in this front end...

Any advise? Does your truck have the same issues? I know this has been talked about many times but I think I am one of the few with two rebuilds in 3,500 miles....

Thanks,

Frustrated owner

I had the noise that your talking about... Me and a buddy rebuilt my front end with new bearings. When we ripped it apart we found that only one carrier bearing was bad...One little bearing was making all that noise... No noise what so ever now...If your having problems they might not be shimming the front pinion properly :dunno: I would take it back and settle for nothing less than a quiet free truck... :cheers: Jac

Edited by ItsJac (see edit history)

:withstupid: Front-end noise is common but the guys here that have had their front-ends rebuilt have had no further issues; I think that the person who rebuilt your front-end did not double-check clearances - that's just an opinion. FWIW my front end is starting to make more noise now and I just spotted a small drip of gear lube leaking from the pinion seal :mad:

Mr. P.

I haven't heard anything about recall on this issue, I figure GM would try to avoid it at all costs.

JAC: thanks for the response, I just get tired of losing the truck/ going to the dealer. My fix it list states that the Carrier assembly and shims is what was done, so I am not sure what to say.

Mr. P: ewww... sorry about the leak. I totally agree, I think they are screwing up clearances because if I am on the trottle when I turn, no noise. If I let off the throttle, yuck... Does this mean anything to you?

In reading the report is says "installed new pinion bearings and set pre-load" and "installed new side bearings and set pre-load/ back-lash." Is there something else that was missed possibly? Anyone? Here's the laundry list:

(1) 9418356 Bearing

(1) 12479162 Spacer

(1) 9413427 Brg Asm-R

(1) 12471590 Seal

(2) 15588312 Lock diff

(2) 9420095 Bearing

(2) 15801507 Seal

(2) 89021677 Gear Lube

(1) PD price diff

Thanks in advance,

Ron

Edited by Ron's SS (see edit history)

Wasn't there talk from GM that this might be covered by reaccl?...I thought I had heard someting to that affect.
Oh don't say that - if that's true I'll be in conflict 'cause I swore off the dealership here, every time I take the truck in it comes back with more dents/scratches. :shakehead:

i had the same thing with my 03. had 190 mi when it was redone for the second time. finely fixed it by replaceing the hole diff. caseing was bad from the manf. and berings were out of spec. also. a lot of 03-and early 04 had issues. i have had no issues at all with it since. BTW. gm gave me a 5yr/100,000 mi. bumper to bumper 0 deductable for my troubles with it..... :thumbs:

:seeya:

i had the same thing with my 03. had 190 mi when it was redone for the second time. finely fixed it by replaceing the hole diff. caseing was bad from the manf. and berings were out of spec. also. a lot of 03-and early 04 had issues. i have had no issues at all with it since.    BTW. gm gave me a 5yr/100,000 mi. bumper to bumper 0 deductable for my troubles with it..... :thumbs:

Well that is interesting to hear. I wouldn't mind the extra warranty, but am more worried about fixing this noise. I haven't driven it 20 miles since the rebuild and it is terrible... time to go back to the dealer. This is the third time so I think I'll demand a new unit. Thanks for the info...

i had the same thing with my 03. had 190 mi when it was redone for the second time. finely fixed it by replaceing the hole diff. caseing was bad from the manf. and berings were out of spec. also. a lot of 03-and early 04 had issues. i have had no issues at all with it since.    BTW. gm gave me a 5yr/100,000 mi. bumper to bumper 0 deductable for my troubles with it..... :thumbs:

Well that is interesting to hear. I wouldn't mind the extra warranty, but am more worried about fixing this noise. I haven't driven it 20 miles since the rebuild and it is terrible... time to go back to the dealer. This is the third time so I think I'll demand a new unit. Thanks for the info...

i had to get gm. cus. asst involved. they were very helpfull in getting my issues fixed.also the gm.reginal rep. also. if you have to call them, when you do . TALK NICE TO THEM... they are there to help and not take a lot of ##@&*** from people. it took about 2 weeks for them to get all info. from me and the dealer to start getting things moving, so it will take a little time..

the gm. rep showed up at the dealers with a 03 SS and i test drove it and it had no whine in the frount, so they pulled the frount assm. out from it and put it into mine, i have 31k now and still no noise :thumbs:

good luck.........

i had to get gm. cus. asst involved. they were very helpfull in getting my issues fixed.also the gm.reginal rep. also. if you have to call them, when you do . TALK NICE TO THEM... they are there to help and not take a lot of ##@&*** from people. it took about 2 weeks for them to get all info. from me and the dealer to start getting things moving, so it will take a little time..

the gm. rep showed up at the dealers with a 03 SS and i test drove it and it had no whine in the frount, so they pulled the frount assm. out from it and put it into mine, i have 31k now and still no noise :thumbs:

good luck.........

Thanks for the advise. At this point I don't get excited, just want a truck that doesn't sound like a piece everytime I make a turn or slow down. I was going to leave it up to the dealer until now. Sounds like contacting GM direct is my next step. Back to the dealer, woo hooo....

I had a leaking seal replaced on mine a few months ago. After they replaced the seal the diff developed a whinning noise during light accel and decel. All along i've had the growling noise when turning slowly. Turning growl still present with brand new front diff! :dunno:

I had a leaking seal replaced on mine a few months ago.  After they replaced the seal the diff developed a whinning noise during light accel and decel.  All along i've had the growling noise when turning slowly.  Turning growl still present with brand new front diff!  :dunno:

I can relate to this one... sucks