My first run w/ an SRT8

Dylan06SS

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the TBSS and everything... but if I was in the market for a sports SUV my $40K would go to the SRT8 (sorry Chevy..) just because it is the superior performance SUV. the AWD TBSS vs AWD SRT8 it would not be a competition. Not to mention the Dodge doesnt have a weak ass 4L70E GM tranny :D

I am willing to bet that the TBSS might be able to hang a little with the SRT8, but handling wise, the SRT8 more than likely hands the TBSS its ass on a silver platter. Lets face it... Dodge has their SRT division in gear, while the SS division at Chevy is trying to sell some cool bumper and cladding packages.

Chevy really needs to ramp up the SS name... or they are better off making the SS stand for "Slow & Show"

:sigh:

I test drove both before making my decision... I like the SRT8... but in the end it made no sense to me. All the performance and ZERO utility... if I just wanted flat out performance an SUV isn't the ideal platform. The TBSS, while not the same level of performance, offers some utilit to it... I can tow and haul stuff, but still have some fun at the track... I guess the best way to put it is that its a balance of fun and work... while the SRT8 is all fun no work... not that thats a bad thing... just the reason I picked the ride I did.

If I had kept my truck and decided to get a SUV just for fun and getting around town the SRT would've been my choice in a heartbeat.... but I needed something to fill both roles.

Have you driven an SRT8 yet?? Most of the dealers are pretty liberal about lettng you drive em... I had a blast when I did.

I havent driven one, one of my friends has who owns a C6 has drove one. He told me that the SRT8 handles/steers/drives/accelerates like a sports car. Coming from a guy that has a C6 with about 10K in suspension/engine mods, that is enough to tell me that the SRT8 jeep is no joke.

You do have a point with the TBSS though. I didnt know that the TBSS could tow more or have more utility than the SRT8 ? I never looked into that. That is a good reason right there. I noticed the SRT8's exhaust tips come straight out the back in the middle of the bumper, so I assume you cant put a hitch there.. where as the TBSS has the exhaust on the right side and a place for a hitch.

Anyone know what the towing capacity differences are on them both? Because I am seriously looking into trading the wifes 350Z for an SUV and she REALLY likes the SRT8 (cant sell the TBSS to her, she doesnt like em :sigh: ) because we are planning to have a kid next year. But I need something that can tow a mastercraft X-star (4250lbs).... I was hoping the SRT8 could do it?

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

SRT8 has no towing capacity rating. I looked into them before buying the SSS in april of this year. They werent out yet, but I would have waited. Daimlerchrysler doesnt feel its important to make their SRT series towing friendly. More than likely they dont want to warranty the drivetrain with that kind of power. The tranny wouldnt hold up to a WOT run with a big load behind it. Think GM has tranny issues? LOL. Like the magnum R/T has a towing capacity of like 3,500lbs, but the SRT8 has zero. Same with the Ram SRT10, zero towing capacity for the regular cab. Whats the point of having a truck if you cant tow with it? Might as well get the magnum or charger IMO. The only sport trucks that can tow are the Ford Lightning, Trailblazer SS, Silverado SS, and range rover sport. I think the BMW X5 with the 4.4L has a small towing capacity, but with its short wheel base, it isnt fun to tow at highway speeds anyways.

It would probably cost a couple thousand dollars to relocate the exhaust, install a regular Jeep bumper and get a hitch installed. Which also would immediately void your warranty.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I havent driven one, one of my friends has who owns a C6 has drove one.  He told me that the SRT8 handles/steers/drives/accelerates like a sports car.  Coming from a guy that has a C6 with about 10K in suspension/engine mods, that is enough to tell me that the SRT8 jeep is no joke. 

You do have a point with the TBSS though.  I didnt know that the TBSS could tow more or have more utility than the SRT8 ?  I never looked into that.  That is a good reason right there.  I noticed the SRT8's exhaust tips come straight out the back in the middle of the bumper, so I assume you cant put a hitch there.. where as the TBSS has the exhaust on the right side and a place for a hitch. 

Anyone know what the towing capacity differences are on them both?  Because I am seriously looking into trading the wifes 350Z for an SUV and she REALLY likes the SRT8 (cant sell the TBSS to her, she doesnt like em  :sigh: )  because we are planning to have a kid next year.  But I need something that can tow a mastercraft X-star (4250lbs).... I was hoping the SRT8 could do it?

Yeah... I think DC has done a good job of downplaying the fact the SRT8 doesn't even have the ability to pull a trailer... but if all you want is a pure muscle SUV it does the job.

This was a good article that points out where the TBSS shines over the SRT8

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/10...sport-utes.html

From TruckTrend:

The actual payload capacityfor the Jeep SRT8 is only 750 pounds--200 less than a suzuki aerio. And with those center pipes, we'd recommend high-temp synthetic grease on your towing hardware.

For those looking for the perfect hot-rod tow vehicle, you'll be happy to know the TrailBlazer SS retains its full towing capacities of 6700 pounds for two-wheel-drive models and 6500 pounds for all-wheel drivers.

Advantage - TBSS :thumbs:

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

I like the TBSS and everything... but if I was in the market for a sports SUV my $40K would go to the SRT8 (sorry Chevy..)  just because it is the superior performance SUV.  the AWD TBSS vs AWD SRT8 it would not be a competition.  Not to mention the Dodge doesnt have a weak ass 4L70E GM tranny  :D 

I am willing to bet that the TBSS might be able to hang a little with the SRT8, but handling wise, the SRT8 more than likely hands the TBSS its ass on a silver platter.  Lets face it... Dodge has their SRT division in gear, while the SS division at Chevy is trying to sell some cool bumper and cladding packages.

Chevy really needs to ramp up the SS name...  or they are better off making the SS stand for "Slow & Show"

:sigh:

r u serious? all ive ever seen you do is rip into dodge guys and dodges on this forum but its okay to buy a similar chrysler product? :icon_bs: