storing SS for the winter

BrianR

I am storing my SS for the winter too, I heard what you want to do is increase the tire pressure about 10-15 psi and you also want to plug all the openings in the engine for example the muffer, with thick cloths. This will prevent mositure from getting into the system.

Anyone have any comments on this or other ideas?

Bob

Make sure the wheels are off the ground, also. We always had problems with the wheel bearings after a few winters of storage. Leave the windows cracked a little to help air circulation. A couple of air freshners help the breakout in the spring, too.

Vehicle on jack stands, stabilizer in 1/4 tank or less of gas ( fill up with fresh fuel on breakout in spring), reduce air pressure in tires to 15 psi, coat with protectant. Fresh oil and filter change just before storing, dessicant bags in floorboard, underhood and underdash. Coat seats with leather protectant/vinyl protectant. Protectant on all weather strips of doors, windows, underhood, etc... Wash and wax, remove battery and put on trickle charger. Cover vehicle with good cover or at least old sheets. Top off anti freeze, and all fluids. Depending on length of storage, you may want to pull the spark plugs and squirt some light oil in the cylinders (a tablespoon per cylinder should be more than enough). Place Decon or at least mouse traps in and around the vehicle.

This should be overkill to get you through the winter. I store a 1969 Chevy Camaro and follow these precautions with excellent results. I still find traces of mice in the trunk, and occasionally have to replace and re-bait traps.

It is still better to drive them than store them in my opinion. At least start them and warm them up a couple of times a month.

I'm glad I'm in Oklahoma!

I bought my Camaro from a guy in Bethany, OK in 1989. Since then it has never been rained on and garage kept. I have put less than 2500 miles on it since I have owned it. It is a X-11 car. Originally a SS. The guy I bought it off of turned it into a Z-28 Clone. It has a 1967 327 (365 hp) from a Vette, and a Muncie M22 Rock Crusher four speed trans, crane regrind of the original Duntov 30/30 solid lift cam. All original (not cut up) body and frame. Steel cowl hood, chrome shark fin vents in rear 1/4's etc... Body is very straight and covered in hand finished black 2 stage (base/clear)paint with the original black standard vinyl interior. The car has 15 x7 inch Centerline Auto Drags with 235 60 15 BFG Euro T/A's. Hedman hedders, 2 1/2" dual exhaust with chrome tips running out the stock location. KYB gas adjust shocks and all new body mounts, and frame mounts. A new radiator, and also heater core. Also has the original Winters foundary high rise aluminum 4 bbl. intake and a Holley 650 double pumper carb. The car has no power steering, no a/c, no power brakes ( 4 wheel drums currently).

I have been contemplating selling it for the past few years, I don't seem to have the time or money or whatever to mess with it, so it sits in my garage and eats batteries.

I have a digital camera, but don't belong to a hosting site, so I can't post pics of it or my SS truck :rolleyes: . I wish this site would allow posting directly to the forum.

I'll consider serious offers over 15,000.00 on the Camaro.

Archived