Transmission Is Toast

Okay guys,

Heres the deal...Tonight i was driving around town and launched hard off a red light and the truck blew through first gear like it was wet paper. I turned the truck off because it didnt move and started it again. The truck when put in drive would not move anywhere. So I put the truck into first, and doesnt move. Put it into 2nd and you could feel the tranny shaking when going into gear but it would drive...Then I had to manually shift into 3rd gear at like 20-25 mph to get the truck home, and then put it into drive for the truck to go into 4th/OD...

I then parked the car in my garage and put the truck into drive, and the truck was fine in 1st (which was weird) but then when trying to shift into 2nd the tranny bottomed out and reved to the limiter and i shut it down and parked it. So I dont know if i completely blew first, or what the deal was...

Hopefully a few guys like Zippy may be able to diagnosis this issue before Monday, so i am able to give the guys at the stealership and idea of whats wrong...

If anyone in SoCal(Chase, Dylan, Punkt71, Alex) can give me a good place within Orange County, or somewhere close to go to that I can save some time and hassle from GM Repair guys it would be appreciated. Also if anyone can give me an estimate of what this is going to put me back at it be nice to know...I know that is a diffcult question...Or maybe suggestions on what i should get (shift kit, servos) as long as it wont be too labor intensive since I need the truck back in atleast 2 days. Please give any insight...

Not having a good night,

Owen

No suggestions here bro. I still haven't had the pleasure of breaking mine yet. I had my 700R4 go out in my '88 K-5 and I had my partner do it, but I haven't talked to him in years. I know Dylan had someone do his that was pretty local.

:withstupid:

Toy Shop Transmissions

1292 E 3rd St

Pomona, CA 91766

(909) 620-5849

Talk to Kendall... I don't think theres a better guy in the area to help you with transmissions and best of all their prices are beyond fair. Let him know me, Chase, Kris, or Adam referred you.... he's helped all of us.

Jon, I didnt check the fluid level...I had the truck serviced right after the warranty went out which was about 5-7K ago

Dylan, I will give the Toy Shop a call tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Thanks again for the help :thumbs:

Check with Remac Transmission in San Dimas. My buddy Leo there is adrag racer and has done all of my upgrades and, unlike nearly everyone on this site, I have had zero breakage (knock on wood!). 909-592-1006...ask for Leo and tell him John Joines sent you. Hope I could help.

another request for toy shop , they are very nice floks and knock on wood my truck has survived about 20-30 runs down the 1320 holding strong and numerous daily driven days. they know there stuff for sure. not to mention stand behind their work.

Dylan, Chase or Adam

Do you guys know when they open up? 10am i assume? I just want the truck there as early as possible for them so they can get it up and running by hopefully Tomorrow night or Tuesday if its just the bands (which I assume is what is causing the slipping), or at latest Tuesday...

They're there as early as 8am, but often times they won't be answering the phone... make sure you call first to see if they can even fit you in same day. Don't waste the trip unless you know they have room for you.

And FYI... the place is in a really rough part of town and doesn't look like much... but once you see what they do and who they do it for you'll never have a second thought about taking your truck there.

Thanks to JJ, Dyaln and Chase for your help. I dropped the truck off this morning around 9:45 am at the Toy Shop. The area isnt "that" bad, but i brought my knife incase I had to cut anyones backpack open :jester: . They said they would possibly have it to me by tomorrow just to fix whatever issue is causing the truck not to move while in drive. I will probably beef up the transmission with their recommendations just to be more comfortable with it once I get it back...

I will keep you guys updated on what exactly happened to the transmission once I get word letter today

Well I talked to Kendall about an hour ago. He said its about 1,000 worth of damage and labor costs, add in their shift kit it comes around to 1,200 with labor. So i definetly am not happy about the whole issue. But i caused the problems.

Either way he said a couple of the bands were toast, some of the pressure valves, and something else which I cant remeber since I know nothing about the transmission.

When i get the bill I will scan it and post it on here. Either way for those guys to work till 7pm tonight to get the truck ready for open tomorrow so I can barely be late for work is probably the best service Ive ever received given how labor intensive the transmission is. Either way, thanks to Chase, and Dylan for the recommendation.

Hey man... trust me, you cant go wrong with the Toy Shop. Not only does their work kick ass, but Mike and Kendall are some of the nicest guys I have dealt with in the automotive industry period. You dont feel like you have just been bent over and stuck with a baseball bat when you walk out of there. Good luck.. I am sure the tranny will be 1000 times better than before!!!

Kris