To X-pipe or not to X-pipe??

Black03SS_NJ

I know this question has been asked, but I know it has never been answered. So I figured I would give it its own thread. I am about to add a new muffler, either a magnaflow, flowmaster, or pro-flo, not sure which yet (but probably flowmaster). But regardless, it will be dual-in dual-out, not true duals.

My question is, will an x-pipe in front of such a muffler do any good? I know it is not necessary, but if it will add any performance, reduce resonance, or improve sound at all, I am going to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Black03ss,

As far as sound and resonance, it will not change much. Now in the lines of performance...if the exhaust you are installing changes to a larger diameter you may loose exhaust velocity (commonly misslead as back pressure). If you will be maintaining the current diameter exhaust pipe and not opening up your flow a lot, then no, an x-pipe wouldn't help very much. If you do go with a very hi-flow muffler and you have changed the exit diameter of the pipes then yes it will help. I acts as a venturi and speeds the gasses up and maintains pulse of the exhaust to keep low end torque. Hope this helps answer your questions....

Two pipes running into one muffler and out as two pipes again is effectively the same thing as a crossover or "x" pipe in a true dual system. An exhaust crossover pipe evens out the pulses between banks of the engine. It has the same results as adding more collector volume in a true dual system with headers. It will also help to quiet down an exhaust. In our trucks the factory system is tuned to the performance RPM range of our engines. If you increase the exhaust, pipe diameter without other mods it will move the power and torque bands. Trading off one for the other in most cases. True duals don't need to be as large as a single system to flow the same cfm of gases. So dual 3.5 inch pipes on our trucks would be overkill. For a single system like we have, 3.5 inches is ideal. Base rule, the more air you take in, the more you need to get out! :thumbs:

Okay...I am becoming educated. The muffler I buy will likely be dual 3" in and dual 2.5" out...so I am downsizing from the factory pipe size, but adding a second pipe. So I am not really sure how that works. If adding an x-pipe to this setup will help with the loss of low-end torque, I am going to do it.

You should not loose any torque with that setup. As long as you maintain the original exhausts total volume. The benefits from the dual 2.5" tailpipes is increased drying action in the pipes from the increase of exhaust velocity. The single 3" in/ dual 2.5" out is ample for the 6.0 liter V8. It will have a slightly different sound when compared to the 3.5" single, from behind you'll get that awesome V8 "stereo" sound, but you'll also gain weight from the extra tailpipe and hangers. It will probably negate any performance gains, but it'll sound cool as hell! And, if you put on some deadly looking stainless tips, it's going to look the part too!

I saw a custom exhaust on a swb chevy truck with a factory crate 572ci engine. It had Hooker Super Comp headers, true dual exhaust with 3.5" head pipes, high flow converters (2) and dual 40 series Flowmaster mufflers. The tailpipes were 3"diameter stainless steel, with the last 24" polished like mirrors. It sounded awesome, looked awesome and the truck dynoed out at around 700 hp to the ground. It got about 11 mpg combined mileage, but the guy couldn't keep back tires on it! The exhaust was beautiful though.

Archived