New Project

If you already have the 5.3L heads, then I would just use those, no sense spending extra money when you can get comparable performance if not the same out of them.

And buying some P&P Edlebrock heads would just be flat out wasting your money.

My .02

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give the guy a break would you guys?  He's asking for some help, help him.  If GM builds a truck and puts SS on it, its a GM SS, maybe in a different country, but still it is.  At least he didnt buy a nissan or toyota.  Maybe its not what we are used to, but let it go...geez.  Remeber what people say about our SSS's outside of GM?  Alot would say our trucks never deserved the SS badge either, even if we can make them 11 and 12 second monsters.  Even some TBSS guys would call our trucks worthless.  Humbleness is a great virtue gentlemen.

As far as stroker kits go, the 5.3L block can go up to 427ci, possibly more.  Lunati seems to make some of the best forged stroker kits out there.  The most common stroker kit is 408 ci. 

You would probably do better to ditch the 5.3L and find a used LQ9 or LQ4 6.0L block and start from there.  SLP makes complete 402ci short and long blocks in both low and high compression ratios.  You can find stroker kits at tbyrnemotorsports, slp, summit racing and many other places. 

Also, do a search on here for stroker information.  Benkey has built a very nice 408 N/A stroker and adapted an LSx style manifold to it.

:withstupid: And actually the 400SS stickers are a GM part. 15788027 is the part number, and they are the Mexico export version. It's just a decal in this case. Nothing else.

• 1 month later...
I just got a 2003 Chevy 5.3L and want to build the engine for f/i. I read that you can go to the 5.7 piston size so I plan on going that route. What is the stock stroke and what can I stroke it to safely? I plan on adding a STS kit to it also since I have some in the garage collecting dust, lol. Who makes good strokers, cranks, rods, pistons, etc.?

Here are some pics of the project truck:

ChevyTruck2.jpg

ChevyTruck4.jpg

BTW, I was already told about the week tranny so a Level 5 is in order too. I don't want to go 80L with this project but maybe when I go to a 6.0 stroked to a 408 then I can.

Ive seen one of those while i was in Mexico ( I Have family there ) Do you live there?

If you do what Part?

Onyx :cool:

The Dart heads are $1,500 fully assembled :thumbsup: BUT...they may not be good for a turbo application anyways unless you go with dished pistons to lower compression. CR with the DART heads on a stock 6.0L will end up being jus tunder 11:1, obviously not the best for forced induction.

You 100% defintely will need meth with 15lbs of boost. The STS turbo's run 6psi without I/C and recommend an I/c for 8+ psi and meth with anything over 10psi (thats on a stock 10:1 LQ9 motor though, not 9:1). Being yours is going to be underhood, temps will be higher yet. 9:1 compression will be ok for 15psi, but not any higher. Hope everything is going to be forged, 04Chase shredded his stock mill at 12psi with a centrifigal blower.

You 100% defintely will need meth with 15lbs of boost. The STS turbo's run 6psi without I/C and recommend an I/c for 8+ psi and meth with anything over 10psi (thats on a stock 10:1 LQ9 motor though, not 9:1). Being yours is going to be underhood, temps will be higher yet. 9:1 compression will be ok for 15psi, but not any higher. Hope everything is going to be forged, 04Chase shredded his stock mill at 12psi with a centrifigal blower.

I will be using a STS turbo kit not an underhood front mount kit since I have two in the garage just collecting dust. I was thinking of upgrading the turbo to a GT76 if it is not to big for my application.

Yes, everything is going to be built for boost with forged crank, billet rods, forged pistons etc. I am looking for a good f/i piston right now. I am shooting for 9:1 and 15psi on pump(91 octane) gas but I will start at 12psi and work my way up until I get knock. I might also get a tune for racing(100+ octane) gas and more boost and timing.