finally installed zippy shift kit

well After having the towing shift kit from zippy for about 6months now and a tranny shop telling me I can not install that kit and that I don't have a 4l65e tranny, I took it upon myself to do it today. Took me about 4.5 hours from start to finish. It was not to bad, just took my time and I was done.

However, i do have one small problem. Forward is fine, shifts great. The problem is reverse. It goes into gear but when I give it some gas it shutters. ALso when i am backing up a hill (my driveway) it shutters even worse.

Show I not drive it until I figure this out? Does anyone have an idea what I did wrong? zippy do you have an idea? :confused:

thanks in advance

Bryan

05sss

4L60E/65E Towing shift kit. This kit is designed for all around use in a well rounded truck. It will also work well in cars. Towing in overdrive is much easier done with this kit and without fear of killing the 3-4 clutch set or the 2-4 band. It will shift firm and quick, but not harsh.

that is what the description of the kit said.

It did have a corvete servo, some new springs. Had to drill the plate and block a hole up on the valve body. I did not touch anything that was not in the directions. I would have figured that I installed some wrong and it would not move

thanks for the help, I will try to call zippy tomorrow and ask him what he thinks.

bryan

4L60E/65E Towing shift kit.  This kit is designed for all around use in a well rounded truck. It will also work well in cars. Towing in overdrive is much easier done with this kit and without fear of killing the 3-4 clutch set or the 2-4 band. It will shift firm and quick, but not harsh.

that is what the description of the kit said.

It did have a corvete servo, some new springs.  Had to drill the plate and block a hole up on the valve body.  I did not touch anything that was not in the directions.  I would have figured that I installed some wrong and it would not move

thanks for the help, I will try to call zippy tomorrow and ask him what he thinks.

bryan

did you install servo on the side of the tranny???

if you replaced the servos in the side of the tranny i would recomend removing them and lubing them up again really well and put them back in making sure everything compresses properly and then put the retainer back in MAKING SURE IT IS SEATED COMPLETLY.

BECAUSE what you described as shuttering in reverse happened to me and i LOST the tranny case completly,found that 4 th sevo not lubed up enough and the retianer not seated all the way and blew out the side of the tranny,so if you did i would recomend trying that before you move it.

ok well I took a quick ride this morning in the SSS and I came home (down my street) in reverse. Had no problems what so ever. Even up the driveway in reverse it was fine. :confused: Took the girlfriend home this evening, went to go into the driveway, I felt a little shutter backing up, but it was not as bad as it was yesterday. :dunno: anyway. I am still going to try and take the servo back out and lube it up some more. O r I will just try to blow the tranny up and try to make GM pay for a new one :crackup:

Bryan

Yeah I believe I did everything correctly? This is only the third time i have done a shift kit in a tranny so I could have messed something up. Does anyone have any directions, write up or pictures for a shift kit install asside from what comes with the kit? Also, it is strange that the shutter is not always there. Only seems to happen (when is does happen) when the tranny is warm...go figure.

thanks

Bryan

I just thought of something else. There is a small plate that gets bolted on the rear of the case with 3-8 mm bolts. I gets bolted in an area that the low and reverse clutch circuit is. Are you sure that you got this torqued and tight? Might be something else to look at. Did you have the pump out of this trans to do this shift kit? I'm really not familiar with what ZIPPY has you do. Feel free to pm me with his directions and I'll take a look at them to see if I can think of any thing else. Vince

just happened to talk with a tranny guy today. Suggested I drop some lubgard in to see if that fixes the shutter that I am describing. If not, he said he will drop the pan and take a look at what is going on.

It is weird I have tried everything lately to try to get the shutter, but it only seems to do this when I am backing up a hill??? :confused: Looks like I will be heading over to the tranny guy sometime soon to get this looked at.

Bryan