Converter Install

Anyone that has done this already have any pics? There has been lots of talk of doing, but nothing about the ease/difficulty of it. The transfer case and all the other crap has got to make this more difficult than normal. Setti's posts were close, but nothing about how to get it all out, or specific things on the torque converter.

Please post tips/info of doing, if you have. I plan on doing myself and have not ever done before - same as the cam. Plan on putting it up on four stands or ramps and going at it. The closest I came was replacing a clutch in a manual tranny. Anything would help. Thanks.

Its not that bad, but I wouldnt do it without a lift :D

Im spoiled i guess. If you can replace a clutch, you can do a torque converter. its basically the same exact thing. Make sure you get the truck up relatively high if your gonna do it on the floor. Because your gonna have to push the trans all the way back to the torsion bar crossmember, and then drop it out from the front because that crossmember is in the way.

I think it will be pretty hard to do on the floor

one very inportant piece of info make sure you get the converter all the way in you may have to spin it when you install it to make sure it lines up if this is not done it is back to the old drawing board.

there are two cut outs in the converter that have to seat into the tranny. thats why this is so important. other than that piece of cake. hope this helps ya ben.

I knew it, couldn't handle it could ya. What did you tell the wife, it broke? :jester:

Can't help you with the pics. I paid $300 for the convertor, shift kit, and servo instal. I'm to busy at work to bother with this stuff at home :( Sadly, the learning curve on Edit is taking so time because of my work schedule.

I knew it, couldn't handle it could ya. What did you tell the wife, it broke? :jester:

Can't help you with the pics. I paid $300 for the convertor, shift kit, and servo instal. I'm to busy at work to bother with this stuff at home :( Sadly, the learning curve on Edit is taking so time because of my work schedule.

Tell the wife? Was I supposed to do that? I knew there was something I was forgetting. :sigh:

Ben:

A clutch and now a torque converter? You have alittle more mechanical know how than you are letting on about… ;) ... :thumbs:

:cheers:

I take directions fairly well, that's about as far as it goes Darric. What it really boils down to is that I'm too damn cheap to pay someone else to do things. It just cost way too much. Bought my first Haynes manual around '92 and never looked back. The cam install was my first step "out" of the box, so to speak. At least that is the way I think of it. Plus, doing all your own work requires plenty of Craftsman tools. :thumbs:

QUOTE (blackhawk @ Nov 6 2003, 06:12 PM)

Ben:

A clutch and now a torque converter? You have alittle more mechanical know how than you are letting on about…  ... 

I take directions fairly well, that's about as far as it goes Darric. What it really boils down to is that I'm too damn cheap to pay someone else to do things. It just cost way too much. Bought my first Haynes manual around '92 and never looked back. The cam install was my first step "out" of the box, so to speak. At least that is the way I think of it. Plus, doing all your own work requires plenty of Craftsman tools. 

An MC that actually knows how to turn a wrench!! :thumbs: The ones I use to work under had a hard time figuring out the coffee pot… :D

I don't turn too many wrenches anymore in the service, as you might expect. My last ship I did a fair amount, only to teach my guys how to do something, mostly. When it comes to my vehicle though, there is something about someone else touching it. All depends on what it needs.

Ask me again how I feel after I put in heads, another cam, and torque converter. I may even get someone to change my oil. ;)

:cheers:

I take directions fairly well, that's about as far as it goes Darric. What it really boils down to is that I'm too damn cheap to pay someone else to do things. It just cost way too much. Bought my first Haynes manual around '92 and never looked back. The cam install was my first step "out" of the box, so to speak. At least that is the way I think of it. Plus, doing all your own work requires plenty of Craftsman tools. :thumbs:

ben,

Me and you are a lot a like, I do not know if this is something to brag about but i am pretty cheap to when it comes down to money wasted on so-called experts working on my stuff. plus it seems that if i do take it to someone, they just screw it up anyway, so whats the point. :crazy:

I don't turn too many wrenches anymore in the service, as you might expect. My last ship I did a fair amount, only to teach my guys how to do something, mostly. When it comes to my vehicle though, there is something about someone else touching it. All depends on what it needs.

Ask me again how I feel after I put in heads, another cam, and torque converter. I may even get someone to change my oil. ;)

Oh no, I'm coming down to visit for X-mas remember. You were going to do cam and NX install on mine! don't you remember? :confused:

:jester:

I don't turn too many wrenches anymore in the service, as you might expect.  My last ship I did a fair amount, only to teach my guys how to do something, mostly.  When it comes to my vehicle though, there is something about someone else touching it.  All depends on what it needs.

Ask me again how I feel after I put in heads, another cam, and torque converter.  I may even get someone to change my oil. ;)

Oh no, I'm coming down to visit for X-mas remember. You were going to do cam and NX install on mine! don't you remember? :confused:

:jester:

No problem. As long as you bring an extra NX system for me. :D

Archived