tire pressure

Indianarandy

I chcked the tire pressure in my tires after sitting in the garage for about 2 hours and they are around 35 lbs. The tag in the door says 30.I have always run around 32 on the front and around 30 in the back.I have noticed every little crack in the roads, and I thought it is probably due to the awsome low profile tires and the suspension setup.I thought about lowering the pressure, but I just wondered what kind of tire pressures everyone else is running? :crazy:

It's best to check your tire pressures first thing in the morning or after the vehicle has been sitting for at least 4 hours. A lot of people make the mistake of driving to the service station and checking them. That can raise the pressures then you bleed them off and the next morning you're dangerously low!

Set them totally cold, at what the label on the door says to. I run mine at 30psi and that's where they'll stay! My 2¢

I have a question, what tire pressure do you run when you go to the track?

I have read many articles on this very question and they all say keep your tires at the recommended tire pressure and that will give you your widest footprint ... Radials ofcourse not slicks .... :D

You hit the nail on the head ViperKiller! Engineers figure out all of the tough crap for us, the least we could do is show them a little respect by taking their advice! That footprint is all that allows you and I to control our 40,000.00 dollar 5200 pound trucks! Think about that for a while!

At the dragstrip you'll need to run the same pressures. A different tire and a different wheel (i.e. slicks) could be run optimally at 8 to 15 psi. Quite a drop, but this set up is "engineered" to work this way.

Now if they could only make tires that would last 100,000 miles and get a good grip.

The maximum rated pressure for the Goodyear Eagles is 44psi. You can run your tire pressure anywhere between the GM recommended pressure (32psi) and the tire's maximum rated pressure. It is recommended to increase tire pressure when hauling loads - the tire's maximum load rating is at its maximum pressure. :)

The GM pressure is suggested for best ride comfort (i.e. softer ride).

BTW I run my tires at 36psi. I like the tighter feel during hard cornering... :D:jester:

Deezel,

How many miles have you ran them that way? Do you notice the tires wearing in the middle of the tread? Overinflation wears out the middles, underinflation wears out the outside edges. Grossly underinflated tires overheat and get greasy feeling then blowout or suffer tread seperation, belt decomposition, etc... Also, it's a proven fact that the only trucks capable of wearing out an Eagle LS is a faster Black Silverado SS! ;) :shakehead::jester:

SuperDave,

About 4500 miles on 'em. No excessive center tread wear so far... I mentioned the hard cornering earlier - that tends to even out the wear pattern. :jester:

You're right about fast black SilveradoSS's giving those EagleLS's a workout!!!

:D:cheers:

Heat generated inside the tire itself by the high speeds would increase the tire pressure automatically. That's why you check your pressures cold. You can run them at any pressure you want as long as they don't exceed the Max pressure rating from the manufacturer. Have you ever seen a tire blown off a rim from excessive pressure or a blowout from under inflation? They come apart.

If you inflate them to 44 psi then go out and generate more heat (increasing pressure) what do you think will happen?

Be careful.... remember the Ford Explorers and the Firestone tire recall deal? The whole thing was about not following the manufacturers tire pressure recommendations! :nono:

I have a calibrated tire guage that I use on the Falcon. My SS tires are run at 32 front, 30 rear. The rears look great. the fronts show normal cupping of the outside treads from my "spirited" cornering. I may go to 35 on the front to try and even out the ware up there. 10,000 miles on her.

Chad

I had a weird bit of vibration on the highway, and decided to check my tire pressure here to be sure nothing weird is going on.

My door sticker says 30psi. Okay, that's what my last GM said too. **

Three tires were at 35, and one was at 42.

I lowered them all to 33.

** The last GM was an Avalanche. The tires all looked soft at 30. I used to run 35 front, 33-34 rear

Archived