Tranny drain plug

Two things...First try the heat, a oxy acetylene torch till cherry red. What I had to do was to find a nut that would fit over it and weld it to the drain plug, then it came out. I tried a Snap-on 6 point wrench and I stripped the f*cker. Good luck

Dave

Two things...First try the heat, a oxy acetylene torch till cherry red. What I had to do was to find a nut that would fit over it and weld it to the drain plug, then it came out. I tried a Snap-on 6 point wrench and I stripped the f*cker. Good luck

Dave

:withstupid: DO NOT DO THIS. :dunno: what your thinking but tranny fluid has a flash point and oxy will reach that easily. your asking for a new truck this way. a quality socket and long wrench is key. if your off center or start to turn at a tilt your all done, and it will need to be extracted (ie destroyed). One trick i used is to use an air hammer and slide it arround slowly, but thats after it's stripped out. all the trucks have this problem.

I hate that goddamned plug - I swear somewhere is a GM engineer laughing his ass off at how many of us have rounded-off that bolt head over his sick joke; the dirty bastard is probably across the street right now looking into my garage with binoculars saying "look honey, I got another one!" :mad::mad:

Mr. P.

When I saw I was going to strip that nut, I stopped and grabbed a flat punch and knocked from the side of the big "washer" with a hammer until It became slowly loose. Then I took the ratchet to finish the work.

What's up with that nut anyway :puke:

Well I don't mind that it's tight - I just hate that they chose the cheapest damned crappy steel possible for the bolt. I mean geez another 10-cents for a REAL piece of hardware would have saved rounding it off. Cheap bolts piss me off. :mad: OK rant off. I'll just have to drill it out next ATF change. :sigh:

I got it off Thanks guys i used a 12 inch long breaker bar 1/2 in. drive. And a 15mm socket and a lot of muscle. I pushed up on the socket with 1 hand really hard and pulled like a son, and it came lose the good thing is that it isnt even scared. Thanks Jason.

OK so when i get up there your gonna help me then right. Thanks tim.

Not a problem :jester:

Dave

:withstupid: DO NOT DO THIS. :dunno: what your thinking but tranny fluid has a flash point and oxy will reach that easily. your asking for a new truck this way. a quality socket and long wrench is key. if your off center or start to turn at a tilt your all done, and it will need to be extracted (ie destroyed). One trick i used is to use an air hammer and slide it arround slowly, but thats after it's stripped out. all the trucks have this problem.

:withstupid: unless you have the pan off, then you need to replace the plug :D

I hate that goddamned plug - I swear somewhere is a GM engineer laughing his ass off at how many of us have rounded-off that bolt head over his sick joke; the dirty bastard is probably across the street right now looking into my garage with binoculars saying "look honey, I got another one!"  :mad:  :mad:

Mr. P.

I feel your pain :jester:

I had one today on a 2500, it stripped but we got it off :banghead:

When i had my trans pan off there is a big nut welded in to the bottom for the plug

but it so big it won't drain all the fluid

i would go to a aftermarket with a real drain plug

btw i tired to get if off before i pulled my trans and it stripped POS