Attn: GM Service Techs

Krambo

I took my Typhoon in for inspection knowing it needed a few items done to pass but just wanted to enjoy my holidays and not be working on a vehicle my week off. Here is what they said it needed to pass:

1. Upper and Lower ball joints (both sides)

2. Pitman arm

3. 4 shocks

4. New Horn (more on that one)

5. Brakes were close but still passed. Suggested to do all 4.

I said yea whatever and asked for a quote on everything but the breaks.

$3,000.00!

Are they freeking nuts or is it just me. I didn't even ask what they wanted for brakes, GOD!

This was a Chevy dealer and they were serious about the price. I didn't price parts but they can't possibly be that much. Are they in the ballpark? :dunno:

Yea I'd say thats not a little high, thats outta the f-ing ballpark :eek:

At my shop (just a rough idea) labor - $550, parts - $300-400, with out getting exact prices on the parts. As for the brakes a simple brake job ( pads, shoes and resurface the drums & rotors) would be about $200. I may be off by a buck or so but yea there bending you over :banghead:

WOW. sounds to me like someone wanted a really good xmas on you. thats a really bad thing dealing with a dealer. they think there work is worth gold and then some. sounds really high to me also. i do know that the dealer here is about 70 bucks an hour labor. and that to me is stupid. but they get it form some. id be doing some shopping around. ill bet you can find a lot better deal someplace else.

What dealer?

Brown Daub in Wind Gap. :sigh:

Anyway I have the written "invoice". They added one thing that put it to the 3k mark that I neglected to add in. They said motor mounts need replacement.

Front shocks - $287

Rear shocks $604

Upper and Lower ball joints - $866

Motor Mounts - $635

Pitman arm $300

Front brakes - $250

Alignment - 49.95 :dunno:

So, close to $1,000.00 for 4 shocks?! WTF. I can't believe people pay for this as I know some people just do not know and just pay. :nonod: Needless to say, I will be buying some parts next week and doing it all myself. :thumbs: I guess it was a hidden blessing as i told them to do all 4 shocks as I knew they were done. Good thing they waited cuz I would have FLIPPED to see $1100.00 bill for 4 shocks and an inspection sticker. :ughdance:

Oh, the best part is they said the horn needs replacement and that is $100. I just replaced the horn 2 weeks ago. I asked if the tech looked under the hood and saw the nice new shiny trumpet behind the headlight ;)

The people there seemed reasonable but this was out of hand. Add tax to that mess and I my as well throw the truck on E-bay. I just went over the truck and nothing is bad enough to be a safety hazard except for the shocks.

well i had a 91 s10 blazer with the 4.3 that was lifted with 33s so i replaced alot of those parts many many times. at one time i could change all 4 ball joints and the pitman arm in 1 hour.

the only thing on the list that is reasonable is the alingment lol.

a pitman arm is around $30

brake pads are $50 for the good ones.

depending on what shocks you go with $200 should get real good ones.

2 motor mounts $30 at the most

your looking at about $120 for upper and lower ball joints.

What dealer?

Brown Daub in Wind Gap. :sigh:

Anyway I have the written "invoice". They added one thing that put it to the 3k mark that I neglected to add in. They said motor mounts need replacement.

Front shocks - $287

Rear shocks $604

Upper and Lower ball joints - $866

Motor Mounts - $635

Pitman arm $300

Front brakes - $250

Alignment - 49.95 :dunno:

So, close to $1,000.00 for 4 shocks?! WTF. I can't believe people pay for this as I know some people just do not know and just pay. :nonod: Needless to say, I will be buying some parts next week and doing it all myself. :thumbs: I guess it was a hidden blessing as i told them to do all 4 shocks as I knew they were done. Good thing they waited cuz I would have FLIPPED to see $1100.00 bill for 4 shocks and an inspection sticker. :ughdance:

Oh, the best part is they said the horn needs replacement and that is $100. I just replaced the horn 2 weeks ago. I asked if the tech looked under the hood and saw the nice new shiny trumpet behind the headlight ;)

The people there seemed reasonable but this was out of hand. Add tax to that mess and I my as well throw the truck on E-bay. I just went over the truck and nothing is bad enough to be a safety hazard except for the shocks.

That is what I figured since it is closest to you. Those prices are insane!!

I started changing my own fuel filter on my Duramax when I was charged 1 hour at $80.00 and watched the tech do it in 15 minutes!!!! Then they(Different Chevy Dealer) charged me $45.00 for a filter I bought at Auto Zone for $23.00.

$100 saved and it took me 15 minutes to do it too!!!