ah crap , wtf?????????

04CHASE

well im working on getting the truck runnign and doing a few things. so i got the SS on the lift today because i needed to do a few things. i was in the process of removing my exhaust tto paint it to prevent rusting. and i get to the cats and pull them off, i look inside and see this

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

and i thought well crap these didnt last very long, i had them on for about 1500-2000 miles, i think it was from a couple of runs that i made while running it excessivly rich. these are the supposed high flow maggie cats (59599) and i thought they would be able to handle a bit more than this. anyway im deceidign weather or not to replcae them or gut them right now. i know i have some more tuning to do so ill probably gut them for now and replace when i get everything dialed in.

what a nice christmas present , santa killed my kittie's :lol:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chase,

How would diagnos that without pulling the cats? I have some nice KR showing up now and I suspect teh cats. My cats are a dark blue or, that dark oily discoloration. I dont recall them looking like that when I had them welded in. I think I might gut mine too.

the only way to really diagnose is to check them , i got a cat code a while back but didnt think of it , i cleared it and it never came back . so i am glad i found this. im not really pissed it just kind of surprised me, im kind of scared to look anyfurther and see what else is wrong.

I keep getting a sensor 2 code every once in a while lately. Thought it was just a bad sensor. I better pull my cats asap. I might do it tomorrow. You can just knock that stuff out with a metal bar/hammer right? Should just fragment. Then I can have Zippy turn off my cat O2 sensors.

dammit, i just put on the same cats with my corsa and pacesetters. :banghead::banghead: do you think its doing that because of your blower? you just put those on a little while ago so i don't know why they gave out so damn fast. its suppossed to hold up longer if they are metallic right? metallic my ass :banghead:

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

so the only way to know if your cats are going bad is to take em off and check it? and how long should I go before checking them because I got them on about a month ago. the magnaflow cat warrenty is for eighty thousand miles, so this is bs if they are going bad so early.

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

well lik ei said a rich condition with a blower and higher egt could have caused thi s, i do know i was running pretty rich while doing dome tuning a while back but i thought they would be able to handle a little bit of rich ness. i guess i proved my self wrong. well the good sid eof this is they could have been clogeed when i was running at the track so when i gut them it should see more gains.

well the good sid eof this is they could have been clogeed when i was running at the track so when i gut them it should see more gains.

Looking at those things, I am surprised your truck even ran. There was a lot of restriction there. I would think you would see some SERIOUS gains if those were straight through. Hint Hint.

Mike

well im working on getting the truck runnign and doing a few things. so i got the SS on the lift today because i needed to do a few things. i was in the process of removing my exhaust tto paint it to prevent rusting. and i get to the cats and pull them off, i look inside and see this

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

and i thought well crap these didnt last very long, i had them on for about 1500-2000 miles, i think it was from a couple of runs that i made while running it excessivly rich. these are the supposed high flow maggie cats (59599) and i thought they would be able to handle a bit more than this. anyway im deceidign weather or not to replcae them or gut them right now. i know i have some more tuning to do so ill probably gut them for now and replace when i get everything dialed in. 

what a nice christmas present , santa killed my kittie's  :lol:

shoot a email to them with the pics and say :wtf: and see what they say. just might get them replaced free :D . sooner or later your going to have to smog it :banghead:

so might as well have the cats...

:seeya: