whats the cheapest way to make my ss silveradofast

sskike

smash the piggy bank---making your SS faster can get expensive depending on what you do.  I would start with a CAI, Cat-Back, and a tune.  Good luck on your choices.  :chevy:

This has done well by me... I did an AEM Intake, Superchips programmer and swapped out my exhaust can. Runs 14.6 in 1/4 which is slowmotion compared to Chase or Chris but wins just about every stoplight to stoplight encounter you will have for less than $1000.00. Kind of the Dub-T approach to performance. :D

I hear that man, I have K&N CAI, Hypertech tune, and GM Perf. Parts exhaust, really woke up the performance. Well, performance on a budget, this truck was expensive..........................

i don't think there is a "cheap" way to make the ss faster. on thing leads to the next. you can stick with the basics: c.a.i., exhaust, tune. but it only starts there. you'll have to upgrade your tranny if you really get into the bang for the buck mods....all cost $$$. more cash means more fast. and it all depends on how fast you want to go.

Alan

Id go with a tune and a catback system. Charlie Wheatley tuned mine and it woke my truck up!!! A guy I know has an 03 SS like mine and he ran 14.3 stock with tune, CAI, and exhaust! (thats what im told). Ill be making it back to the track soon to get some time with my Tune and Pacsertters on.

Well, I guess the cheapest way to make it fast, is Rip out all the AWESOME STUFF THAT MAKES IT THE TRUCK IT IS! If you want to run it @ the track and see what it can do with alot less weight from minor things Heres a small list

! Spare Tire 45-50lbs

! Towing Package 25-30 lbs

! 20" Wheels repalce with 16" 15-20 lbs per wheel Rotational mass is huge!!

! Stock cat back add one muffler with Turndown 15 lbs Will Cost Somthing but not much 150 I would say

! tailgate 25-30

! back seat with backets 30-40

! Engine Covers 1-2 lbs

! Rear Bumper 50-60lbs

! Front tag Bracket 1 lbs

! all misc Trash/ paper work/cds/ anything that is not fixed to the interior even registration owners manual.. ETC ETC. IT ADDS up!I know this could be and EASY-20 lbs in my truck.

These are all things that can be done for FREE and put back pretty easy if you wanna MAX out the power you have with out spending ANY CASH!

Letsdo some math here:

Using the Low Figures I have given you get a total of roughly 272 lbs

So , If the drag race theory of 100 lbs equals a .10 Sec. then you effectivley taken your truck STOCK from a 15.0 (some faster some slower)to a 14.8-14.7 Range ALL FOR FREE.

Does this sound liek alot of work for a little but more then .25 a second? Sure!

But this is just the tip of the ICEberg, You can take the fastest SSS on here, Using Chase as an example, taking his 11.9 truck and dropping 272lbs would put him around a 11.8 11.7 Range EASILY

FOR FREE.

Lets look into this a little more!

What else does weight Mods do for your truck?

Better Fuel Economy

Makes all parts in driveline MUCH HAPPIER, Easier to save parts,

All drag racers are aware light cars accelerate faster given the same HP/TQ as a heavier car and makes them less likely of BREAKING THINGS!

I think that every 20-25hp in these trucks are worth about .10 in the 1/4 mile So.... With this said you are effectively simulating a 50-60 hp gain MOST of what is lost is TIME. I have seen guys cutting off excess bolt going through nuts

Are these things I would live without in my daily truck? NO, but I will do most of these things before I go to the TRACK.

Maybe this gives you some ideas?

There are plenty more things that can save weight IF YOU WANT TO SPEND MONEY. Some examples are

Aftermarket hood

Lightweight wheels ie, Welds, Bogarts, etc....

Header back exhaust ( stock stuff is heavy!!!)

Replace rear bumper with BSER Rollpan

Lighter Swaybars

This could go on all day.

But this is just the tip of the ICEberg, You can take the fastest SSS on here, Using Chase as an example, taking his 11.9 truck and dropping 272lbs would put him around a 11.8 11.7 Range EASILY

Yeah but, his 11.9 run was with a tonneau and 20'S :confused:

even worse, tonneau and 22's.

even worse, tonneau and 22's.

oops

but i think sometimes the weight providing more traction outperforms the weight slowing you down. so as long as you get a good set of tires, strip her down. if thats what your saying I do agree, but i know the tires that came on my vmax sucked a**

what kinda exhaust you get fireman31?.... I want an exhaust thats not too loud... But strong enough to make people look u know?

GM Performance Parts # 17800765 and tip # 17802143. My buddy works at a local Chevy dealership here in NY and got me the kit for $473 and the tip for $84.

The kit is manufactured by Borla and is mandrel bent 304 stainless. It is much louder than stock with mild drone. Trust me when I say that it is not loud enough inside to annoy my girlfriend, but is loud enough to turn the guys head next to you at the stoplight when you crack the throttle........................... :chevy: