Cops to my sons paintball gun !

geomcrider

Ok..

sorry ..title should say Cops "TOOK" my sons paintball gun. (cant edit that ??)

anyway

My son is 15, he was at his friends house and his friend was playing with his PB Gun. This kid (his friend) shot at a car and hit one. Unfortunatly it was a off duty sargent. (no damage) The sargent stayed at the scene, called for a uniformed officer and it took about 1/2 hour. He spoke to the kids while waiting for the uniformed officer.

When the other cop came, they took this kids PB gun and it came out thru conversation that my son has one also. They ask him ...where is it. He said at home. So the kid who shot the car..his father was there. for some unknow reason he said he would take my kid home to get it as the cops wanted to see it. He drove my kid home to get it...came back to the scene, and the cops confiscated my kids gun also WTF. My wife went today and tried to get it back and they are giving us a hard time. That gun cost 300.00. And its not illegal to have them in CT

I'm just pissed, thanks for the ear !

G

Edited by geomcrider (see edit history)

I dont see how they can go to your house and take it, it was not use in any type of crime. They can take the PB gun they shot the car with. I would raise hell about it, they had absolutly no right to take anything from your house.

Ok..

sorry ..title should say Cops "TOOK" my sons paintball gun. (cant edit that ??)

anyway

My son is 15, he was at his friends house and his friend was playing with his PB Gun. This kid (his friend) shot at a car and hit one. Unfortunatly it was a off duty sargent. (no damage) The sargent stayed at the scene, called for a uniformed officer and it took about 1/2 hour. He spoke to the kids while waiting for the uniformed officer.

When the other cop came, they took this kids PB gun and it came out thru conversation that my son has one also. They ask him ...where is it. He said at home. So the kid who shot the car..his father was there. for some unknow reason he said he would take my kid home to get it as the cops wanted to see it. He drove my kid home to get it...came back to the scene, and the cops confiscated my kids gun also WTF. My wife went today and tried to get it back and they are giving us a hard time. That gun cost 300.00. And its not illegal to have them in CT

I'm just pissed, thanks for the ear !

G

Sounds to me like the cop went further than he had authority to on this one. I don't blame them for taking the shooter's gun, but... not your sons. I would be angry as well. Did they sitation him for anything? I give police the utmost respect, but my attitude changes when they go to far... Good luck

cops went to far. That's just crazy. I would raise all kinds of he!! over it and let them know they are in the wrong. your kid didn't shoot the cops car and his PB gun was at home. How can they take it when it wasn't even used? I would go straight to the popo office and let them hear it.

that dosen't sound right.  they shoud have at least talked to you (the parents) about it first.

That doesn't sound right at all. If it was at the scene with the other one, then I can see it. But to take him to your house to get it just seems a little too far. I'd like to see what our officers in here think.

First of all, it is Illegal for him to even interogate your son without your direct expressed permission. Any and all statements your son made are inadmissable in court, period. Secondly, it sounds like the officer wanted a nice little toy for his kids. He has zero authority to confiscate the PBG in question. Also, he has zero authority to tell your son to go home to get it. thirdly, I would severly beat that other fathers a$$ for even agreeing to go get the gun and turn it over.

You need to play hardball with these morons. Provoke and push the hell out of them until they return it. I would even go as far as filing a small claims suit against the city, police commissioner, police station, and the officers themselves. Also, if you want to be a real dick, you can get the FBI involved. I bet the cops didnt even check the PBG's into evidence, and guess what, if they didn't, they're in big trouble. Did they say if any charges were going to be brought against your kids?

Also note, sometimes cops will "confiscate" things like this for their own benefit in lieu of not pressing charges, kind of like you jsut paid a $300 fine so your kid doesn't go to jail. HOWEVER it is illegal blackmail for them to tell you if they confiscate it you will avoid prosecution.

I had some friends in high school that got caught with open intoxicants in the car, pulled over. They were underage and driving daddy's caddy. the officer gave them two choices. One they could go to jail for MIP, DUI, and open intox in vehicle, etc. OR Two, they could open all of the remaining beer cans they had and POUR them out into the vehicle and go home and explain to Dad what happened. the dumb a$$es poured the beer in the car. Needless to say, dad was a criminal attorney and his son avoided prosecution, but the cops were fired and convicted of misdemeanor extortion or blackmail (these are pretty much one in the same, depends on what state you are in). Whooops...Bad cop, no donut.

Very unlawful for them to have taken your sons PBG. I would be doing all I could to raise all kinds of hell with that.

It's obvious that your sons gun was not involved, so what reason are they giving as to why they have it? What kind of "hard time" are they giving you?

First off they should not have taken your sons marker(gun). They are legal for use in CT yes but, if they are fired outside they are concidered a firearm by CT law. So, they should have been charged with misuse of a firearm in city limits. Maybe criminal mischeif, or something. Your son should not have been talked to, without you there. You should have been called being he is not 18, and has not legal rights as an adult yet. Go to the PD talk to the cheif, explain the story and how your son never uses his marker without your supervision, and you would like it returned.

This is some BS you and your wife need to tell the officer you are going to get a lawyer to deal with the problem if they don't give it back. Secondly, have a nice chat with this kids dad (without the wife or son around) he is NOT your sons parent. Also, tell your son next time something like that happens to tell the cop to **** off until you are present. I remember twice in High School I was called into the cops office at my school to empty my back pack because someone said I had something. Well, both times I had both my parents come to the office before I would allow them to talk to me or go through my stuff as my parents told me to do and both times there was nothin in my bag. Actually, I have never been busted for anything and I don't do drugs and eapons or anything at school. Cops like these are on a power trip and need to be dealt with. After these two instinces I was never hassled by school officials again. Just let your son know not to say anything or give anything to a police officer until you are present. Teach him how to tactfully tell the cop to go **** himself until you are present. The demeanor of most people change prefusely when a parent is involved.

WOW ..Thanks for the responce fellow SS ers

My wife went down the PD today at 10:00am requesting our property back. The officers car that was hit gave her a bunch of shit telling her if we want the PBG back. he's going to pursue charges.

I called them on my way home from work and told them I was coming down for the report. I get there...the records lady went to retrieve it...had it in hand, looked confused and talked to a supervisor out of my ear shot. She than said its not complete, it only has two names on it and that two PBG were confiscated.

A Lt. came out to speak to me and said he cant do anything because the officer and her supervisor were out till friday.

I dont make a mountiain out of a mole hill but when I feel I'm right...I dont back down. I'll give them till friday to produce it or I'm going to get a lawyer and file a formal complaint. And go ahead and arrest my son...I sue your ass.

Trust me..I respect authority as I am a retired State Of CT Department of Corrections Officer. But for this BS..I'm pissed. I also fired off two huge e-mail to the chief that have gone unanswered.

Considering I documented in my e-mail that the report was incomplete, I can wait to get it in hand and find a section of it that says it was completed on such and such date....I'll hang them for Falsifying a report!

Thanks for listening to the drama !!

I feel better.

Oh PS..I told my son that just think of if you hit a SS..Some of us would get out and kick your little ass's. And then you would hope the cops were there. He got the point !

George

Wow..... Well first of all, they should not of confiscated your son's paint ball gun seeing that it was never there to begin with. I do however believe they should of confiscated the other kids gun since he was damaging private property with it. And to tell you the truth, I would love to choke that kid for doing that seeing that I was just a victim of having my SS shot by one of those damn things, and I _DO_ have damage. I've got to look at that damage now for as long as I have the truck, and hearing kids doing this kind of shit really ****ing pisses me off!!!!