Gas Mileage

NashSS

I've had my 03 SSS for about a little over a month and love the truck, its by far the best thing ive owned so far but my mileage is making me wonder a bit. I average about 12mpg with a mixture of city and highway but mostly highway and according to websites and the original sticker i should get about 17. Thats not exactly what I'm shooting for because I know thats just and average and some vehicles are gonna do worse. My truck has about 10.5K miles on her and its got a aem brute force intake with a flowmaster exhaust system. I know its awd and a 6L but i think 12 is on the low side. The truck runs like a top and I do get into it occasionaly but i only drive 70 on the interstate and dont hammer it to pass cars either. Is there anything I should look for to help improve mileage. I do have plans for a tonnoue cover come tax return if that wil help mileage and id like to get a tune as well. Here's a list of things I would like to do that might help mileage out.

-Tonnoue Cover

-Tune

-Synthetic Oil Change (Would I be alright to switch to say Mobil 1 at this mileage?)

-Front and Rear Differential Fluid change to Synthetic

I have experimented with some other gases and it seems like it doesnt change any and at least put 89 in it but most of the time its at least a 91 octane so help me out please.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you will see a big increase with a tune, however you will have to run at least 91 octane, do a search and see why you shouldn't run anything lower than 91 in your truck, reguardless of your PCM tune. The fluids will help a little but not much, and the tonneau will help too, but you will see better results on the highway. Also, you may have to change your driving habits as well. Try to drive like your 90 years old, take your time when accellerating, keep your speeds down, and take your time. Maybe leave an extra 5 min early for work (etc.) so you can leasurely drive to and from where your are going.

I have seen a big gain in just changing my driving habits as well as modifying my truck. I would try changing your habits first before you blow some money on mods. (I would also not trust the DIC, it is always off in my truck and I would assume isn't very accurate in others, so whip out your calculator and do the math, miles(trip)/gallons used= fuel economy[mpg])

:thumbs:

-Cody

the low mpg is probably due to the color.. blue red and silver all do less mpg than the black ones :lol: coz they're playing catch up with the faster black ones :D:D

only kidding bud. i always get better gas mileage than my wife driving the same truck and i believe its due to driving style i rarely brake hard whereas my wife is very hard on the brakes, )when approaching a junction i will get off the gas where she will accelerate until almost there then brake hard) also steady acceleration away from a standing start rather than hard on the gas (unless there's something you HAVE to beat away from the lights lol) also a well tuned and regularly serviced truck always seems to get better miles per gallon..than abused rarely serviced trucks, look after your truck and it will look after you

so watch your driving style small changes can make big differences, service and tune it regularly, and enjoy.

i'm guessing people don't buy a SS for their great gas mileages it's a trade off for the performance and looks, if i wanted great MPG's id buy a horrid little euro/jap box, and with gas in the UK at up to $8.95 a gallon lots do...but i wont change :driving: i've been driving V8s for so many years i'm addicted lol..

anyway get yer truck serviced watch the way you drive and good luck in getting better MPG's

all the best

eamonn

Edited by eamonnschevy (see edit history)

I find the cruise control is too agressive at trying to maintain your speed to do well at maximizing MPG. You have to do the age old technique of "driving like you have an egg between your foot and the gas pedal" and keep the speed down. I have managed to get 19 MPG on a trip to San Diego, but as soon as I hit the mountains, the average took a big hit back to 15 MPG. But it is hard on me to drive like that :(

Thanks guys, I obvously didn't buy the truck for mpg i know it wasnt going to be good when i bought i just didnt think it would be this bad is all. Running a 91 octane at all times won't be a problem cuz thats what I use most of the time anyway I just put in a 89 a couple times because I used sams club gas and the highest they have is a 89 but now I go to Walmart and they have a 91 octane. As far as the tonnoue cover I was thinking a vinyl cover so that way if i need the bed its all available and it wont need to be painted but i was also thinking a flush mount which wouldnt weight as much as over the rail tonoue cover but I dont know what im gonna get yet. maybe some suggestions as far as a tonnoue cover? as for a tune I have no idea what would be better for my truck like tranny pressure or fuel line curve or any of that stuff so i dont know if buying a tuner would do me any good :sigh:

the 03's have an external fuel filter (on the driver side frame rail.) The 04-05 I believe are in the tank. Also< I changed from stock plugs and wires to the Tailor Thundervolts and NGK plugs and it seemed to help a little in throttle response and mileage.