Beware of the EVO 9

CNE

First of all, I'm all about some V-8 power, but you guys better think twice about jumping on one of the Mitsubishi Evolution 9's. These things are crazy fast. I rode in a buddy's recently and it ain't no joke. 4 cyl, turbo, awd. He has tune, exhaust with no cats, and a boost controller. He has run a best so far of 12.00 flat before the custom tune. (He previously had a mail order tune). He hasn't run it yet with the new tune but it will definately see 11's now. He is looking into cams and turbo upgrade next. As impressive as V-8 power is, you can't talk too much smack about a 4 cyl, spanking major V-8 butt.

Our truck basically cannot run with any of those evos without mods, we shouldn't really be comparing a 5400lbs truck to a light high power sport compact, we would need so much power just to run in the 12s. Evos are super quick, but I just hate the look of them. I'd rather be slower but be in a better looking car. I hate the 4 cyl vs v8 argument that I see on so many boards.

"Our truck basically cannot run with any of those evos without mods, we shouldn't really be comparing a 5400lbs truck to a light high power sport compact, we would need so much power just to run in the 12s. Evos are super quick, but I just hate the look of them. I'd rather be slower but be in a better looking car. I hate the 4 cyl vs v8 argument that I see on so many boards. "

Well said. Not to discount your buddys car but put it up against a GSXR-1000 with skilled rider and pretty much the same result but not in his favor.

weight vs horsepower is all it is. it really not a fair comparison. it apples to oranges. imo they dont look bad but if i were going to buy a sport compact it would an sti those things are pretty sweet and you can rally the hell out of em. not to mention they come with a bit more power . a fair comaarison or since your comparing v8 to 4 cyl, would be say a vette or camaro vs an sti or evo and that is a little closer.

holy shit, mits. makes cars too!!!  i thought they made cell phones :dunno:

lol they're about the same size. :D:D:D

Mit might be quicker but i'll not be selling my SS to buy one... too small, i like some metal round me when driving fast :eek:

Our truck basically cannot run with any of those evos without mods, we shouldn't really be comparing a 5400lbs truck to a light high power sport compact, we would need so much power just to run in the 12s.  Evos are super quick, but I just hate the look of them.  I'd rather be slower but be in a better looking car.  I hate the 4 cyl vs v8 argument that I see on so many boards.

Well stated. :thumbs:

I ran one at the track and it was a bad sight but did impress the driver when a AWD full sized truck kept up with him. ;) He ran an 11.8 I ran a 12.3 (my MPH was faster). He had a laptop, tons of chrome piping under the hood and exhaust. Don't know the specifics.

IMO, they are still garbage. Anything can be "crazy fast" when it is the weight of an 8 year olds go cart. :smash: I don't want to be in one of those things when a semi slams into you on a highway :shakehead:

Our truck basically cannot run with any of those evos without mods, we shouldn't really be comparing a 5400lbs truck to a light high power sport compact, we would need so much power just to run in the 12s.  Evos are super quick, but I just hate the look of them.  I'd rather be slower but be in a better looking car.  I hate the 4 cyl vs v8 argument that I see on so many boards.

Well stated. :thumbs:

I ran one at the track and it was a bad sight but did impress the driver when a AWD full sized truck kept up with him. ;) He ran an 11.8 I ran a 12.3 (my MPH was faster). He had a laptop, tons of chrome piping under the hood and exhaust. Don't know the specifics.

IMO, they are still garbage. Anything can be "crazy fast" when it is the weight of an 8 year olds go cart. :smash: I don't want to be in one of those things when a semi slams into you on a highway :shakehead:

:withstupid: I like my chances better in the SS then a mini-oven lol :crackup: Anything can go fast but what will survive in a crash. I'll take the ss over the evo

Guys Evos arent that light around 3300. They are quicker then an SSS thats a No brainer IMO.

The DSM engine is tried and true with lots of mod support. Hell this has been the same basic design since the Mitsu Starion/Conquest TSi / dodge spirit AWD they can be modded very easily, as for any turbo car. Any vehicle that runs mid to low 13's stock she not beplayed with by a DAMN STOCK SSS. Much like anything else , with time , money, and hard work virtually anything can be quick if you are willing to go the extra mile!

I still take the SSS caus eits my Truck and I love it. But maybe some SSS ego's get in the way when we are at a redlight. You got to know the comp. and they aren't ours (at least a totally dif segment when stockV.s Stock). So dont be to cocky Gentleman, unless you got some mods to back it....

:cheers:

Edited by H8R (see edit history)

Hey I was curious how do you guys smog you awd ss with just the idle test? I know that there are not many awd dynos smog shops here in Cali and because they cost to much and the shops dont get the return.? My brother has an evo8 and he just does the idle test. hhhhhhmmmmm.....10 second AWD not under boost has to pass smog right? You guys are lucky.

Hey I was curious how do you guys smog you awd ss with just the idle test? I know that there are not many awd dynos smog shops here in Cali and because they cost to much and the shops dont get the return.? My brother has an evo8 and he just does the idle test. hhhhhhmmmmm.....10 second AWD not under boost has to pass smog right? You guys are lucky.

somtimes its more about who you know :thumbs:

Edited by wody (see edit history)