Killed two Dayco products at once!

kelleyperformance

well i just finished breaking the truck in from building the bottom end, and had just done about 15 pulls on my dyno doing some final tuning. it was late at night, and i just happened to pull up to a ford gt at a stoplight. we both took off, but i was stoped by a loud snap in the top of first. power steering was gone, figured it was just a thrown belt. turns out that the tensoner pretty much exploded. i had shrouds of metal in my fenderwells :crackup: . is this a common problem with the maggie kit tensioners? mine is a dayco. any thoughts? i dont want this to happen again, my truck doesnt do well in the ghetto. ;)

Yep...I have broken 2. You gotta be especially carefull on WOT transitions. If you are at wot don't suddenly release the throttle at max rpms. The drag of the supercharger will snap off the tensioner. Also if you use too long of a belt it will bang against the stop and snap off. Every time it happens that's around $100 cause the tensioner dosen't come with the correct pulley you have to buy it seperate.

Dave

ya thats exactly what happened. my father had never driven the truck, and he decided he wanted to. odd thing is that the belt is the perfect size, and the stopper broke off the tensioner, meaning that the belt had to come off first.... o well i got two new tensioners for $80, this time im prepared :banghead: