F**K

04CHASE

Well today we were finishing up the timing tables on my SS for the dyno run on Friday. We made about 15-20 short wot 2nd gear runs on the freeway and came back home to do some wot launch's , we did two and it was the fastest it has ever been. making 12 psi easy , spinning all four for about 50 feet. on the very last launch I heard the worst noise, which I was hoping was my belt. I see a huge cloud of smoke and my engine dies almost immediately. so I proceed to open the hood and see its not the belt and then I see oil on the passenger side header and all on the starter. so after finally walking a couple miles to pick up the Tundra to tow it home we get it there @ 3 am this morning. i don't know exactly what happened yet but i know its bad and I'm assuming most likely i through a rod. So now my new engine is going to get built. I knew it wouldn't last forever but it did last for a while. i just wish i had a chance to run it before this happened the weird thing is my fuel pump stayed on the whole time even with the key out of the ignition. but i then unplugged the magnavolt and it shut down. but right now that is the least of my worries. I'll be sure to post the results tomorrow. The OK part is I have the new heads/cam/oilpump/ and block, so I need the rotating assembly now. I'm going to try and get this turned around quick so I can get it up and running while the weather is still ok . I also am missing my two track days I had planned for a long time.

So now I know a stock lq9 can take some abuse. but 12+ psi and some hard launches don't do well. I can honestly say I was making close to 700+ hp at the crank and it lasted for a bit. So now to get some sleep if I can.

(Edit - Fixed your spelling - dcairns)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Chase's R&D for the rest of us". Keep us posted on what exactly happened. I was going to post in another thread that good rod bolts may be some cheap insurance,...like what dounome did.

I am glad you are looking to the future! Most will pack it in and say thats enough. Best of luck with the new build. :driving:

OH, BTW, I would like to see a stock HEMI take 12 psi and the ropes you put your lq9 through. GM did something right with the LSx motors...

I am more surprised that your tranny has lasted this long sucks that it happened none the less. Hope everything gets taken care of soon

I agree. Let's see... "Toy Shop Built 4l65e vette servos with TCS 2800 stall"... I'll have to mark that down as one strong mother of a 4l65e!!! I've planned on doing an 80 conversion for quite some time though, as I know Chase has too (but he's having fun with the motor right now). Hopefully mine will last until the truck is paid off... :happysad: Anybody have any sponsorship money? :seeya:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Certainly a rod exited the block :nonod: It's going to be interesting to see if the rod bolts let go, or if the stock piston disintegrated, my bet is on the latter. What CR are you going to use on the new motor?

Mr. P.