55 Gallon

SS Silv

I finally fullfilled my dreams of owning a saltwater aquarium. This is by far one of the funnest hobbys I have picked up. I don't have much in the tank right now but I have to get my water conditions just right before adding anything else. Right now I have a Tomato Clown, a blue damsel, and 10 little crabs (yes I have crabs :jester: ) these fish are a lot of fun to watch and is amazing the personalities these fish have. Yesterday I did order 30 more pounds of live rock and 2 Peppermint shrimp, and later on I am going to start to house corals.

Here are some pics of my 55 gallon, it isn't a lot to look at now but this is only the begining.

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

Let me be the first to say lucky bastard!!!!

EDIT : damn im not the first to say.

I've been wanting a 55 for a while you did a good descion. I told you about the personality, damsels can get aggressive so keep a eye on him. Aside from that congrats and keep me posted on new fish and coral. I can give you a few tips and pretty soon Im going to start building up my nano and maybe a 36 or a 55 I just need to find some space for it.

looks great

Edited by drako (see edit history)

Marine Tanks are alot of fun and alot of work.

How long did you let that tank cycle?? If it's not a "new" set up you might want to check the salinity as the water looks a little foggy.

I've had a few marine set up's and they are a blast, you can make them really nice.

Marine Tanks are alot of fun and alot of work.

How long did you let that tank cycle??  If it's not a "new" set up you might want to check the salinity as the water looks a little foggy.

I've had a few marine set up's and they are a blast, you can make them really nice.

I bought the tank from a guy so it was already cycled. We used all the water we could that was in the tank before we moved it to my place. I took that pic the first day I got it to my place so the crushed coral/sand wasn't settled. It is crystal clear now :thumbs: Salinity is at 1.02 Ph 8.2, Ammonia is high .5, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 30.

not really...I actually know someone who would catch them locally...I dont really back that thing up though. Octos are sweet...but they are master escape artists. You better have a tough sealed up tank. To put it in prespective they can squeeze through anything that is as big as thier beak.

Nice tank man heres a few really old pics of my tank after about one month of cycling and damsel, clown, and yellow goby. Atm I have 1 damsel, 2 perculas, and my goby disappeared lol, I also have a red hermit crab which isnt in the pics. Its a 55 gal aswell except mine is taller than it is wider. If I get a bigger house I am hoping to get a 100gal tank but only time will tell. Also Im gonna be "borrowing" my sis-inlaws camera, Ill take some newer ones and post em up along with a pic of my truck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/ka.../Picture034.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/ka.../Picture032.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/ka.../Picture028.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/ka.../Picture029.jpg

thats awesome man. how much did that new hobby set you back. i want one.

It's not even funny how big of a steel I got. A local guy needed to get rid of it to make room for his new big screen. I got the stand, tank, 5 crabs, 1 snail, an additional 10 gallon, and all the chemicals that I need, (2) awesome lights, powerful enough to house corals, dual biowheel filter, 2 power heads, heater, new protein skimmer, 2 fish, 30 pounds of live rock, one mushroom coral, and a 40 dollar test kit. All for 350 bones, this is a least 1,500$++ worth of stuff. :D

Down the road I am going to get 2 Sea Horses to put in the 10 gallon.

If you are going to be seriously devoted to the hobby, I suggest you do it. They can be a lot of work the first few months and require lots of knowledge but they are well worth it. I got lucky that A local guy started a marine fish store and has been helping me out. On top of that I am taking a class at school that is all about aquarium keeping.

I will keep you guys posted with pics as I make progress.