Gear break in procedure

Ok I just ordered some 3.92 and and auburn posi, I'm moving up from a 3.55 open diff. I am not too happy about the break in process I have been hearing about to say the least. Have any of you out there said eff it to the break in procedure? Has anyone experienced problems with that? I will take it easy but I am going to the drag strip on feb 9th, do you guys think i'll be ok for 3 passes if I obey the rest of the stuff? So if any of you have driven your trucks like you normally do after a gear change and have been fine, chime in. Thanks everyone.

I know this isn't for an SS as it is for my hemi but I know you guys know about this stuff as well so thanks for any info.

I can understand that, 50 miles-150 is reasonable, but 500? That seems crazy and that's the number I hear most often. I figure most people would have problems with the gears in their new trucks all the time because no one ever breaks in the gears on a new truck but they are new ring and pinions.

I can understand that, 50 miles-150 is reasonable, but 500?  That seems crazy and that's the number I hear most often.  I figure most people would have problems with the gears in their new trucks all the time because no one ever breaks in the gears on a new truck but they are new ring and pinions.

well i know with my new gears ill be taking it easy on them cause of the fresh motor. but when i did my 410s in my old rear i pulled out and tested the motor some.....realized the 20s were no match for the setup lol

i twice did gears in my last dodge, first from open 3.55 then to 4.88's then 4.56. i went by the book both times. 500 miles, under 50 mph never more than 15 miles before letting them cool off for half an hour. pain in the sas? yeah but i had another two vehicles so not to much trouble. my 4.88's came out like mint though after about 12k miles and i sold them to annother dodge guy so who knows.

basically what I have heard is that if they are set up right, minimal break in is required.  how did you like the 4.88's? That seems like such a low ratio to go to from 3.55's.

they worked out well actually. with 33 inch tires and the 4.7 which is a pig out of the whole anyways it helped alot. just lost too much gear for the freeway so i went with 4.56's which i should have done in the first place. my truck had the option of 3.92's although at the time it wasnt a bother for me.

I agree with Quick. I'd say take it easy for the first 50 or so miles and check the fluid level and condition from there. If you aren't hearing any strange noises or seeing any problem in the fluid, drive it however you'd normally drive it from there.

I agree with Quick. I'd say take it easy for the first 50 or so miles and check the fluid level and condition from there. If you aren't hearing any strange noises or seeing any problem in the fluid, drive it however you'd normally drive it from there.

thanks for the info zippy. I'm normally really easy on my truck driving around, I just really want to go to the drag strip on the 9th. This is vegas so we don't have cold air that long so if I wait until the end of the month to go I may not have the nice cold air. It's nice to hear this feedback because if it seems like I really need to take it easy, I will then. If not I will drive normally and do a few runs on the track.