need advice on a new beater car

rivierakid55

looks like my beater honda is basically done and i have a chance to pick up a new beater. it is a hideous baby blue 92 lumina with 98k on the clock for cheap as it is a lien sale. anyone have any experience with this engine and or car have any insight as to if i should or anything to check. car reads 175 psi compression and has no leaks other than a power steering hose. i know its a timing chain engine but beyond that im clueless with this car.

make sure you check that timing chain,if i remember that car has a cranck sensor and if the chain is sloppy can cause starting and running problems,also i dont remember if it was the 3.1 or the 3.8 they used to blow head gaskets other than that i loved those gm cars.good luck.

If I'm thinking right 3.1's like to eat head gaskets and have some goofy coolant crossover tube inside the intake manifold. That said head gaskets aren't that hard and for someone who knows cars and how to watch a temp gauge you shouldn't have any problems. BTW 175 may be a little on the high side compression wise could be just carboned up though just seafoam the hell out of it. Later

Dave

Good choice... they are reliable cars.. I had a 91 3.1 EURO lumina. it was a great car, and pretty tourqy as well.. But as i mod everything i have, I swapped the 3.1 for a 3.8 series 2 with the eaton blower.( ala gtp LUMINA). I did this after i blew the engine while spraying a 100 shot.... I loved beating up on hondas with that thing..... Sparayed 3.1 with some small things done ran a 14.1... Never took the blower motor to the track because the car was stolen and totalled. I would check the alternaotr they are prone to burn up...Also there was a recall awhile back about the rotors cracking or somthing to that effect...... They have 4 wheels disc and handle nicely... Hope you have fun with it.... I got 155k out of my 3.1 and that was spraying it for about 2 seasons....lol