Patent??

SSAlaska

Actually ... I think the wife has a couple. They were her father's, and just the other day she said something about re-registering them. I'll ask her, and PM you ...

EDIT: - Stay away from that TV add that states that it will help you patent your product. Real rip off, especially if your product makes money. Saw a news story where they talked about that company, and how they make millions off of your product, and you almost go broke watching them.

What you may even consider, is finding a Patent Lawyer, and have a talk with them. They should know what to do.

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I have a patent to my name (analyizing organic acids in cocoa using a spectrophotometric method) however I had little to do with the actual patent process. My company took my work and in 4 weeks had the number and the rights to it :happysad: When you work for a company and you develop an innovative process or item, THEY OWN it.

I would start with researching the patent office website and get an application electronically.

Actually ... I think the wife has a couple. They were her father's, and just the other day she said something about re-registering them. I'll ask her, and PM you ...

EDIT: - Stay away from that TV add that states that it will help you patent your product. Real rip off, especially if your product makes money. Saw a news story where they talked about that company, and how they make millions off of your product, and you almost go broke watching them.

What you may even consider, is finding a Patent Lawyer, and have a talk with them. They should know what to do.

:withstupid:

my brother-in-law is a patent and copyright attorney. You first have to do a patent searchh, some attorneys make you pay for it some dont. Then they start the long expensive process of making the patent. Oh yeah and a tip is to tell no one about your idea. :thumbs:

I have two patents in my name, but I was working for an Industrial Gas and Chemical Company when I designed the parts, and when I was hired, I signed a form signing all rights to the company if any patent was awarded to me.

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

my brother-in-law is a patent and copyright attorney.
I'll remember that!

SSAlaska - Yeah consult a couple of patent attorneys.

Autoguy/Krambo - hope the company paid you a patent incentive!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

:withstupid:

my brother-in-law is a patent and copyright attorney. You first have to do a patent searchh, some attorneys make you pay for it some dont. Then they start the long expensive process of making the patent. Oh yeah and a tip is to tell no one about your idea. :thumbs:

So does the attorney make their money by charging you or off what the actual item yields in profit or sale of the rights?

my brother-in-law is a patent and copyright attorney.
I'll remember that!

SSAlaska - Yeah consult a couple of patent attorneys.

Autoguy/Krambo - hope the company paid you a patent incentive!

Mr. P. :)

I think I ended uo with like $2k total for both of them combined. it was a lot of money for a 20 something 15-18 years ago!!

My idea is a safety item for Fire Fighters. I have been looking high and low searching all over the place and no one has yet to sell the item or have a design for it. So I think I could definitly get a patent. It would be usable by many trades, but most specifically Fire Fighters. My father and I discussed it and he couldnt belive as simple as it is, how usefull it is.

I say for sure absolutely do it! The US Patent office has a website and the patent filings are searchable, I would start there because you can do that for free. If it appears that nobody has filed a patent on your idea then I would hire an attorney to do the legwork for you; they charge you a flat rate for shuffling the papers. Even if somebody later does think of your idea and decides to make your invention, you can sue for royalties - it was legally your idea (up to 20-yrs?).

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I say for sure absolutely do it! The US Patent office has a website and the patent filings are searchable, I would start there because you can do that for free. If it appears that nobody has filed a patent on your idea then I would hire an attorney to do the legwork for you; they charge you a flat rate for shuffling the papers. Even if somebody later does think of your idea and decides to make your invention, you can sue for royalties - it was legally your idea (up to 20-yrs?).

Mr. P.

I would like to market it. I really belive it could save alot injuries to Fire Fighters. If I can help some people out and make a few $$$ then why not.

Though, I'm sure you have a great idea, you have to ask yourself whether or not going through the patent process is worth it or not. It is extremely expensive to get a patent on your own (without the backing of a company), and patents are rarely granted if you write them yourself. For most small businesses it is better to keep the design proprietary and save the money in patenting the design. If you do patent your idea and someone infringes on your patent, do you have the resources for litigation? These are a few questions you need to ask yourself. Most often it is more beneficial for small business to keep the design private than trying to patent it. Also, the patent process takes a while, 1-2 years.

Before going to a patent attorney you might want to consider talking with a patent agent. A patent agent still has to take the patent bar, but doesn't have to go to law school (In order to be a patent agent you have to have an Engineering degree or equivalent). Basically you will pay $50 less an hour when working with a patent agent and they can do almost anything a patent attorney can except argue your case in front of a judge. For information in finding a patent agent/attorney go to www.uspto.gov