Dodge trouble- Let the Mod'ing begin

Luaderdale SS

One of my friends has a Dodge Daytona p/u has a Hemi with an intake & handheld tune (also plug wires-not that that makes a diff). And we raced from a roll at the "sweet spot" 25MPH it kicked down and I held it to the floor. he jumped on it after me and not only caught up in a couple seconds, but pulled away :shakehead: I really lost ground at the mushy 1-2 shift. Now I want a CAI, Exhaust, Tune, and anything else to help me smoke his @ss.

Stick to the basic recipie -

CAI - Outlaw (my fav) or Volant

Straight pipe catback (Corsa, Magnaflow, or GMPP)

Shift kit & servos

Trailblazer TC

PCM TUNE!

With careful shopping you should be able to get it all in for $1500-1800. The only difference he'll be able to spot with the truck is the new exhaust and your new brutal 1-2 shift :devil: If you've got some extra cash beyond that my personal suggestion would be a good set of headers, installing headers will require a retune to take maximum advantage.

Mr. P.

CAI - Outlaw - Where did you get it?

Straight pipe catback (Corsa, Magnaflow, or GMPP)-

Shift kit & servos- Kinda up in the air on cracking the tranny open @2k miles

Trailblazer TC - See above :)

PCM TUNE! - just spoke to Frank about getting me HPtuner software & a email tune (wanna check out tuning software)

If you've got some extra cash beyond that my personal suggestion would be a good set of headers, Are there any of these true bolt on w/ good fit (no hammer to clearence firewall)?

installing headers will require a retune to take maximum advantage. - Thats one of the reasons I want to get the HPtuner software, good idea?

Mr. P.

Thanks Mr P , I know you guys can help me get up to speed on this ....No pun intended

CAI - Outlaw - Where did you get it?

Straight pipe catback (Corsa, Magnaflow, or GMPP)-

Shift kit & servos- Kinda up in the air on cracking the tranny open @2k miles

Trailblazer TC - See above :)

PCM TUNE! - just spoke to Frank about getting me HPtuner software & a email tune (wanna check out tuning software)

If you've got some extra cash beyond that my personal suggestion would be a good set of headers, Are there any of these true bolt on w/ good fit (no hammer to clearence firewall)?

installing headers will require a retune to take maximum advantage. - Thats one of the reasons I want to get the HPtuner software, good idea?

Mr. P.

Thanks Mr P , I know you guys can help me get up to speed on this ....No pun intended

Any comments on the headers? not looking to weld or hammer for clearances. I am willing to buy a y pipe(cats or not),muffler, or true dual setup. BUT I dont have a welder and would rather use a bolt up system.

Thanks

I was one of the first Outlaw owners, I bought mine direct; TByrne is selling them for $259.

Shift kit & servos - you WANT to do this, installing these parts along with proper tune will GIVE you more transmission reliability, service, & mileage as well as performance. See the sticky at the top of the Transmission section of the forum.

HPTuners is good software :thumbs: And I agree, either all balls or no balls at all!

Headers - you have to realize that pre-fabbing headers is a very inexact science, no two sets of header pipes are bent the same regardless of the jigs and fixtures employed. In our engine compartments there's not a lot of room in the first place and if the pipes are off by 1/4" - 3/8" you can expect some 'massaging', that's just life with headers. If you want a dead-bang guaranteed fit I would get a set of the Tri-Y design (Bellanger, Doug Thorley, etc) because by their nature they don't take up as much room underhood. However most Tri-Y's today are sized for use with N/A stock cubes in the stock RPM range (stock heads & cam) and if you switch cam/heads or go supercharged then the headers might not be matched well to your new setup. My point is this - I love Tri-Y headers (I have one of the first sets of Doug Thorley's on my Pontiac, bought over 12 years ago) but make sure that they will still work well with whatever future engine mods you might employ; with the costs of headers these days I would take a moment and discuss your project with an engineer at the company first.

Header fit and finish - make sure the flanges are surfaced at a machine shop prior to installation; most header companies DO NOT do this and you'll be forever chasing blown gaskets. Collectors - the 3-bolt design is almost guaranteed to leak, get collectors that use premium donut gaskets, or best yet ball/socket type just like OEM style. A couple guys have even welded on v-bands and they work well but are expensive. On past vehicles I have actually had the collectors welded together (!) but that defeats your desire for bolt-in exhaust.

Mr. P.

CAI - Outlaw (my fav) or Volant

Straight pipe catback (Corsa, Magnaflow, or GMPP)

Shift kit & servos

Trailblazer TC

PCM TUNE!

With careful shopping you should be able to get it all in for $1500-1800. The only difference he'll be able to spot with the truck is the new exhaust and your new brutal 1-2 shift :devil: If you've got some extra cash beyond that my personal suggestion would be a good set of headers, installing headers will require a retune to take maximum advantage.

Mr. P.

Hey Mr. P.,

Me again

I understand the point of the CAI, but when i got my volant i took the truck down to the track and got no ET drop from it at all. When i added the ram air pipe, my MPG went down, my ET stayed the same, but my MPH went down at the 1/4(maybe more drag with air going in to the pipe). Just wondering what you've seen with the intakes?

With the SS pipes as good as they are, twin pipes all the back in to the muffler, fake dual in dual out muffler, twin pipes out of the muffler and a large OD tail pipe....does a cat back do anything for the truck. I just spliced a true dual in dual out magnflow into the stock location and called it a day thinking there is no way i could improve the flow of the stock pipes(excluding cats and headers). Whatcha think?

Thanks

Brad

Hey Mr. P.,

Me again

I understand the point of the CAI, but when i got my volant i took the truck down to the track and got no ET drop from it at all. When i added the ram air pipe, my MPG went down, my ET stayed the same, but my MPH went down at the 1/4(maybe more drag with air going in to the pipe). Just wondering what you've seen with the intakes?

With the SS pipes as good as they are, twin pipes all the back in to the muffler, fake dual in dual out muffler, twin pipes out of the muffler and a large OD tail pipe....does a cat back do anything for the truck. I just spliced a true dual in dual out magnflow into the stock location and called it a day thinking there is no way i could improve the flow of the stock pipes(excluding cats and headers). Whatcha think?

Thanks

Brad

Have you had your truck tuned? CAI & catback by themselves don't add very much, maybe 15-hp (and that's mostly from the catback) but that's it; the real payoff comes when you combine that with a proven tune, that's a solid 30+ hp improvement. But 30-hp is only going to gain you a slight 1/4-mile improvement, let's face it we drive tanks - but installing the transmission mods & changing shift points will knock a solid 4-tenths off your time (while improving transmission life). Remove spare, hitch, & jack and that's another tenth - it all adds up. At that point you should be running a scant better than mid-14's. Add headers & retune, that should get you in the low 14's but the best part is that you will have a good performance base to work from if you decide to later change cams, or add a blower, or ??? That's why I say IMO these are the 'basics'.

Mr. P.