Dressing wheels and tires

What are your methods on cleaning wheels and tires.

I usually spray using armorall or some type of wet shine and wipe them using a cloth towel. Then with a wet rag I wipe down the rims (chrome) till I get the gunk off from the armorall and wipe again with a dry towel.

To be honest the tires don't leave that clean wet shine, and my rims do not have that mirror shine to them. I need a new method, any suggestions?

Ugh cleaning wheels is a killer. First rule - DON'T SCRUB! The 'dirt' on your rims is actually brake dust which is semi-metalic and if you move that stuff around with a wash rag you are literally sanding your wheels with 3000-grit solution - bad bad bad. You must use a chemical that chemically releases the brake dust from the wheel.

I use Maguire's Chrome wheel cleaner (Walmart $4.50), Dawn dish detergent, & Zaino Bros. tire cleaner/dressing. I saturate both tire & rim with Maguire's so that the chemical will release brake dust, and I use a stiff nylon brush to scurb/agitate the chemical on the sidewalls, but not the rim. Then I gently wash with a lambskin wash mitt & Dawn detergent, final rinse, and blow everything off with compressed air nozzle. Then dry the rim gently with a top quality microfiber cloth. Lastly, I use rags (old cut-up t-shirts) and soak with the Zaino Brothers tire cleaner and scrub the rubber clean, and if you leave the Zaino on there a little wet it will dry with a semi-gloss. All this takes about 15-20 mins per wheel :sigh:

If you have painted wheels the steps are the same, but use a wheel cleaner that is safe for painted surfaces because real Chrome wheel cleaner will etch/eat paint, billet aluminum, and cast magnesium. On Chrome wheels make sure that the surface is not actually clear-coated; if so then you must use a paint-friendly cleaner to release the brake dust. And on painted wheels after they are clean a couple coats of Zaino really make them stand out, really stand out.

The thing to remember about chrome wheels is that the chrome plating is show chrome (not hard chrome) and it scratches extremely easily, but unlike your clear-coat finish there is no way to polish the scratches out short of rechroming the wheel. Also be very careful what you dry your rims with, because almost all drying cloths are actually 'harder' than the chrome and that is where micro scratches come from and after a few years the wheels will need to be rechromed.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I make sure most of the dirt/grime is sprayed off with water, than wash the wheels with my mitt using the same soap as you use on the body of your truck. I then dry all 4 wheels with micro-fiber towels, then I use windex to detail the wheels (still using micro-fiber towels with the windex), windex works awesome on chrome. For the tires I like to use Black Magic dressing, I use applicator pads to appy the dressing.

Bling Bling yo!

I make sure most of the dirt/grime is sprayed off with water, than wash the wheels with my mitt using the same soap as you use on the body of your truck. I then dry all 4 wheels with micro-fiber towels, then I use windex to detail the wheels (still using micro-fiber towels with the windex), windex works awesome on chrome. For the tires I like to use Black Magic dressing, I use applicator pads to appy the dressing.

Bling Bling yo!

What type of applicator pads are you using? Where can I find them??

I use spray away glass cleaner it comes in a blue and white can you should be able to find in any grociery store. I have found soap and water and then finish it off spray that on there and wiping off with micro fiber towell reallly brings out the bling better than any wheel cleaner I have tried and with alot less effert.

Mister P, how do I know if the wheels are clear coated and if they are chrome plated?
You have to check with the rim maker; also it will be stated in the care instructions you get with your wheels. Most chrome wheels are not clear coated, but a few are. Billet wheels you have to check for sure, a lot of companies do clear coat aluminum but also many don't.

Mr. P.