Need your guys opinion

fox_forma

I am selling one of my quads and I was offered a possible trade. I havent been able to go check it out in person yet but thought I would see what you guys thought and if I should even bother going to see it. I dont have all the details just yet but got the basics. Its an 84 Silverado 4x4, has a 350 engine in it now, guy says it has a tap and will include another 350 engine which has roughly 60k on it. The truck starts up and runs but has been sitting for a while and will prob need some stuff obviously. He said it has 40" tires but I dont know about that. It does have some rust from sitting but he said it isnt rotted, and its mostly surface rust. I know its not much to really go by but thought I would throw it out there anyhow as I am looking for another truck to beat on.

I was only looking for 2g's for my quad so how much does a truck like this normally go for. Just assume the interior is ok and the miles are somewhat high. Hell its an 84 so you can imagine. I would imagine the tires will need replaced soon as well which it kinda the kicker for me since I know they will run a good amount. Here are some pics.... Stay away or bother checking it out??

truck7.jpg

truck6.jpg

truck5.jpg

truck4.jpg

truck3.jpg

truck2.jpg

truck1.jpg

You may do okay but I would think a quad may be easier to sell. I had a nearly mint 79 4X4 with a ton of lift and 38's , slick paint job, etc. I got 5500 for it. I think the truck in the pic should bring $2500-$3000 easy. Also just about every engine I have seen that wasn't bolted into a car has 60K miles on it. I seems that the miles mysteriously roll back when you remove the engine from the car. Good Luck

Dave

the main thing with my quad is everyone wants something for nothing. Because one guy has found some killer deal in the past every joe shmo wants that deal from me and its getting old. I dont really need to sell it but this trade came up so i was thinking about it. Oh and I was one of the joe shmo's that got the quad a lot cheaper but I fixed it myself so it runs and rides fine now, lol but thats what I do on the side. I was just curious if that truck is out of line or not. If I have to sell it then I would def want to get at least 2g's out of it when time comes and hopefully not have to put much work into it. More or less my winter beater since my SS always gets damaged or something stupid when the weather is bad.

Even if the truck is worth $500 more than the quad you will then have to work at selling the truck. Is it worth the effort for another $500? If so then I say do it, but personally I would pass unless you wanted the truck, and it sounds like you don't.

The acid test: suggest to him that he sell his truck, then show you the money!

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Okay The truck is a 1500, still on 10 bolt axles, with groundhog 38's.. There is about 4" of body lift in there wich is JUNK... The rot alone is enough to keep anyone away from that thing. Not for nothing Sean you should not trade your quad for that. I see you dropping $1500 into it just to try and get out from under if $2500.. I sold my blazer with a lazy 350 motor only thing rusty was the tailgate 9" of lift and dana 60's for $2500 that was a 1986

I had an 85 c10 shortbed silverado (2wd) that was very mint. It had 33k original miles on it when i bought it in 2002. I sold it shortly after for $5500. I then had an 86 GMC Sierra Classic K10 long bed (4x4) with a lift, fresh paint that would make anyone here drool, (blacker than black) 4" lift brand new chrome 15x10 mags, 33" Toyo MT's, billet grille, all the engine dress up, new Hedman headers, new custom stainless pipes. I ended up getting about $11,000 out of that one. (Some days i wish i still had it :banghead: )

Around here the market for the older GM trucks it pretty good. Depending on condition they run from $500-$10,000 around here (I got very lucky on my 86.) Judging by the pics, that truck is a $1500 truck. I think you'd be better off selling the quad outright. IMO :happysad:

i have a banshee that i am getting rid of. I dont ride it much at all, i have another quad on top of that one which doesnt get ridden much either. I will prob pass on it anyhow cause like you guys said money still needs to be put into it and I dont want to drop a decent amount for it to be up to par. I think I found another truck anyhow, its an 88 Silverado long bed, 6" lift, 38" tires and its a diesel. A lot better condition and can get it for a better price most likely.

I would like to have a back up truck so my SSS isnt always getting driven around, plus warrenty is up in a few months on it so the less miles, the better.

fox,be careful those chevys like to rot my 86 longbed cab is rotting to crap,on th flip side parts are plenty and fairlyh cheap,I just dumped 1200 into an exhaust(manifolds,cats,pipes),500 for a rust free cab,this summer i will go through it this summer and have a fairly new truck.I have had it for a while and pretty much went through and re did both rears,tranny,motor.the way i look at it it will be a new truck.that truck is worth about 2k in my opinion and if you keep it will have to put more money into it if you want to keep it road worthy,tires alone will run about 1g.good luck