Pontiac Solstice

montanass

So I went to the local Pontiac dealer today and picked up a brand new Solstice soft top that we were shipping. I drove it about 2 miles, it rides rough, the interior is super noisey and the engine is extremely guttless! The only thing it had going for it was it handled very well. I thought it was a joke for a $30,000 car, especially for something that GM produced.

Does anyone here have any experience with these cars? What are your opinions?

Edited by montanass (see edit history)

you didnt drive the fast one. they have a gxp that is turbo 260 hp and runs appx 13.9 . but i dont like the looks of the solstice. i like the sky which is basically the exact same thing. my lady loves them but i will be sure to shop and research before i think about buying one.

I think they are pretty cool, especially if you get one of these. mallett

400 HP V8 LS2 Engine - Rated at 400 HP @ 6,000 RPM and 400 LB-FT @ 4,400 RPM

LUK Pro Gold Clutch Assembly

Mallett Custom Modified Lowered Shocks

Performance Springs

Polyurethane Rear Control Arm (A-Arm) Bushings

Polyurethane Differential Mount Bushing

Corsa Stainless Mufflers

Custom 2-core Aluminum Radiator

Carbon Fiber Coil Covers, Black

World famous Mallett body graphics

Mallett graphics embroidered on seat headrests

Show Car Detailing

Mallett serial number plaque and badging

2-year 24,000 mile warranty

or you can get....

427 LS7 Package - $47,000

Everything in the Loaded Package PLUS:

505HP LS7 Engine

Dry Sump Oil System

6-speed Tremec Transmission

Custom Built Drive Shaft

Custom Built Half Shafts

or you can get...

Supercharged Package - $51,995

Everything in the Loaded Package PLUS:

600HP LS2 Engine Supercharged

solsticev8blacklg.jpg

solsticeenginefetts.jpg

Test drove one some time back for my wife.

Everything else aside, they are completely impractical. With the top up or down, you couldn't get a 6 pack in the trunk and the seats are very narrow. We travel in our work and cars must go to the airport. If you can't even put an overnight bag in it, it's just a weekend toy...

my opinion, worth what you paid.... :cheers:

Test drove a sky redline...I would get it if I couldn't swing a vette drop top brand new...but I would probably even just pick up a LS1 vette roadster over it, I'm a bigger guy though to and the vette has more room inside. The Solstice/Sky is smaller, yet heavier than a vette as well. I would opt for a mallet though just to be different than everyone else I guess, but even then its still not a LS2 vette and those are cheaper now in the used market. Mallet limited his production run to 100 cars I believe and he didnt even fill all of his orders in over a year yet....food for thought. Plus, who would want a LS2 in front the solstice's anemic 5 speed meant for a 4 cylinder :dunno:

You know ... if you have an extra $50-$60K around you don't need ... sure we'll throw an LS7 in your Solstice.

At that point you might as well just buy a Z06 with an LS7...it actually was meant for that car...I would throw a 427 in my truck before a solstice...

My fiance' has a base model Solstice. The GXPs were not available yet when she ordered hers. She isn't interested in power or speed so the turbo wasn't necessary or worth the extra expense to her. Now that the GXPs are out, resale on the base models has gone in the crapper, but that is a diferent story.

The comments about being impractical are correct. There is not much storage space, but you can fit a few bags in the trunk even with the top down. The placement of some of the window switches and the cupholders is rediculous. The engine does not have a whole lot of power but it still has enough to get you in trouble if you aren't careful.

As far as the comment of 'it rides rough, the interior is super noisey'

1. Any sporty car will ride a little rougher

2. It's a convertible. Any soft top convertible will have a noisy interior.

Sorry, I do not mean to sound defensive.

Even with all of it's faults, I love the car. I think it looks gorgeous in silver. It handles very well and is just fun as hell to rip around in with the top down. If I borrow it to drive to work I always take the long way home. She only paid about $24k for her car and that was pretty much loaded with the exception of leather and Onstar. It's hard to buy any new car for that price, let alone a sporty convertible. Now, I'm not sure if I or she could drive it every day and have it as the only car, but that is why she kept her POS Grand Am.

Anyway, this is just one man's biased opinion. I guess it's one of those love it or hate it deals.

you didnt drive the fast one. they have a gxp that is turbo 260 hp and runs appx 13.9 . but i dont like the looks of the solstice. i like the sky which is basically the exact same thing. my lady loves them but i will be sure to shop and research before i think about buying one.

:withstupid: saw a red sky coming home from the golf course on monday that was nice looking. much better than the solstice imo.

Bottom line is that for $30k, there are alot of vehicles out there that I would rather have than the solstice sky. I realize the whole purpose is the roadster, but for $30k...98-01 LS1 Vette roadster, 03-05 Infiniti G35 sport coupe (not a drop top obviously), Nissan 350Z, Pontiac GTO 6.0L, 03-04 Drop top Cobra, Late 90's Supra twin turbo, nicely built RX7, trailblazer SS, etc...and I'm sure the list goes on and on...most of which are quicker, and handle probably almost as good as the GXP/redline...

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)