Bad Cam Bearings

Hi. I'm not an owner of an SS (unfortunately), but I found this site when looking for information to help a customer modify his SS. I am working on an April of '03 SS with a 6 litre Vortec. It had a Whipple Charger @ 5 lbs. of boost and a Flow Master Muffler when it came in to me. I G-Teched it and 14.6 to 14.8 at 4800 ft. elevation, and the owner wants MORE POWER!! After reading stuff on this site, I am getting ASM headers, Diablo programmer. I'm installing a CompCams 51-424-11 Cam and Springs, and having the heads flowed on a bench. When I pulled the cam out this morning I noticed the cam bearings from about the 6 o'clock position to 10 o'clock were worn into the copper. The bore gauge says it has .004 clearance and rolling the cam in V blocks with the blocks on No. 2 and 5 journals shows No. 1 journal having a .004 wobble in it. I thought this was pretty bad considering this truck is only approx. 6 months old. I called our local dealer to see if there are any bulletins or otherwise of similar problems, but found none. So I had to pull the motor this afternoon to put bearings in. I will post pics of the bearings tomorrow. Thanks, Mike

Archived