Do car alarms work?

I don't have an aftermarket alarm on my truck, I was thinking the stock security system is good enough right? If a crook can bypass the stock alarm, he can most definately by pass an aftermarket alarm. So what's the purpose of getting those aftermarkets if they are no better? Waste of money or not?

My friend uses a LoJack business card to deter thieves. Has the big LoJack logo printed on the card. He leaves the card in plain sight where thieves can see it when they look in his window. Makes them think twice about taking his truck....and it's a freebie from the business that sell the LoJack, just ask for their card! :thumbs:

actually lo jack isn't supposed to be used as a thief deterrent. i install lo jacks and we are told not tell location of lo jack or put any symbols on a car that says lo jack. but i can guaranty it would work. if i saw a car with a lo jack pamphlet on the seat i would defiantly move to the next car. and also on some alarms, like ones we put in, we put on a starter kill so when the alarms is going off it wont start unless its disarmed from remote. I'm planning on putting another remote start/alarm combo in my truck, just for extra security.

lojack is by no means a end all for thieves.

Yes thieves can find the device and disable it.....but I believe thieves will think a little harder before taking the car with LoJack (possibly) installed. They don't want to get caught while driving away with the car, even before they had a chance to look for the Lojack device.

Yes thieves can find the device and disable it.....but I believe thieves will think a little harder before taking the car with LoJack (possibly) installed. They don't want to get caught while driving away with the car, even before they had a chance to look for the Lojack device.

whats probably most relevant is if we are talking about an amateur or a professional car thief regarding lojack/alarms/etc. imo, huge difference.

actually lo jack isn't supposed to be used as a thief deterrent. i install lo jacks and we are told not tell location of lo jack or put any symbols on a car that says lo jack. but i can guaranty it would work. if i saw a car with a lo jack pamphlet on the seat i would defiantly move to the next car. and also on some alarms, like ones we put in, we put on a starter kill so when the alarms is going off it wont start unless its disarmed from remote. I'm planning on putting another remote start/alarm combo in my truck, just for extra security.

I wouldn't want someone to recover my truck once it's stolen......I would rather not have it stolen at all. That's why having a LoJack sign would deter thieves. BTW, you got any LoJack cards you can send me :lol:

whats probably most relevant is if we are talking about an amateur or a professional car thief regarding lojack/alarms/etc. imo, huge difference.

I see your point, but having a potential thief think twice about your truck....versus the truck next to yours.....is all that matters. If the thief wants one, he'll get one. Just don't want to get mine :)

has anyone tried finding a lojack? the main thing we are drilled on when gettin trained is to hide it, we make that thing look factory so noone knows its there. granted a pro theif could probably find it but they would have to know were they go, they are difrent in every car, some trunk, some behind seat, under seat dash behind radios. the list goes on. all i know is to spend time finding a lojack while stealing a car is very unlikely because theres alot of panel removing to get to it. but w.e all a alarm and lojack does is keep the "honest people out". if they want to get in and take it they will!

• 4 weeks later...

The factory alarm can be bypassed in seconds with a screwdriver. I'm not going to elaborate more on the issue, but they are pretty much worthless.

A good alarm (aftermarket) is 10% Product quality, 90% installation quality.

Things to look for in a good aftermarket alarm:

All connections should be made with solder and heat shrink tubing.

The alarm brain should not be accessible from under the dash. A good location for Silverados is behind the guage cluster. There is a small pocket that the brain can be installed in.

Install a hood restriant to keep the theif out from under the hood.

Hide all valet / programming switches - these bypass the alarm if you have the ignition key on. If they are easy to find (right under the dash on the driver side) a theif can get your truck with little work.

Starter disable / Ignition kill - necessary to keep your truck from being started.

Distinctive siren sound - the standard 6 tone job is like hearing your wife talk......after a while, you quit paying attention. Most 6 tone units can be programmed to only play one or more of the tones..

LED placement in a spot visible from all sides of the truck - not on your dummy panel next to the A/C controls.

The whole idea is to deter them up front, or make it so difficult that they quickly give up and go to one without an alarm. Theives are lazy and will take the easy route EVERY time.

:withstupid:

The factory Alarm is CRAP!

A alarm is all about LAYERS.

Get a quality Alarm, Extra Sirens, backup battery, hood lock, etc etc. The whole point is to just make it a pain in the ass for someone to do it. If it takes them more then a few minutes to get what they want they SHOULD leave. Also restrain the radio to the dash so they cant use keys, screw the amps down etc.

At the end of the day if they REALLY want it they can get it, BUT if you make it hard enough they will not bother.

Just to let you know what I just said up there will not be cheap.

Get a quality Alarm, Extra Sirens, backup battery, hood lock, etc etc. The whole point is to just make it a pain in the ass for someone to do it. If it takes them more then a few minutes to get what they want they SHOULD leave. Also restrain the radio to the dash so they cant use keys, screw the amps down etc.

At the end of the day if they REALLY want it they can get it, BUT if you make it hard enough they will not bother.

I just got a vision guard 8000 put in my SS. I love it !! It has a kill switch ,2 sirens , back up battery and A camera. It will Take a pic and send it to your pager.Vision Guard good luck :thumbs:

Mark

I think a decent alarm with 2way and starter kill is cool.... add a pain generator or 2 inside the cab and it will KILL there ears wile trying to get the alarm to quit..... lo jacks are cool on how they work in all but once they drive it in a car hauler it cant be tracked as far as i know....

I have a 2 way spread spectrum compustar and I love it. I am pretty sure that by the time a guy even got the door open, I would be greeting him with a kick to the chin. It helps too that I have shaved handles. I am looking into getting a glass shatter sensor also. The backup siren is a must have too.

I just got a vision guard 8000 put in my SS. I love it !! It has a kill switch ,2 sirens , back up battery and A camera. It will Take a pic and send it to your pager.Vision Guard good luck :thumbs:

Mark

what did it cost?