Having Lifter Issues

when i built my bottom end up, i changed the lifters, rockers, and basically everything but the block.... strange thing is, the stock rockers will not function on my truck, and nothing else makes sense other than the lifters. the valves stay open when the stock rockers are used. so i checked teh lifters out, and crane only lists one set for the LS series motors. i searched for my p/n, no matches. they arent on the crane site. they are on summit, however. maybe they are discontinued?

anyways, i looked up the new p/n that replaced them..... mine are on summit for like $570/set, and the replacement is $210???? and they have link bars.....? my stock lifters didnt have link bars.... do any of your guys lifters have them? thanks

here are the stock lifters outa the truck

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

and the ones i have(at least the box says i have these....)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Sounds like you may have pushrod issues. If the valves won't close then your pushrods are too long. Were the heads milled? I know there are different base circles on the cams and that would also cause you to need different pushrods. The LS series engines all use the same roller lifters. The link bar style won't work since you have a lifer tray that holds them.

Dave

ya thats what i thought about the links.... strange thats the only crane product listed to work on the LS series....!?! i used the stock pushrods, so that cant be it. heads are the LS2 castings, 65cc chambers. but i compared the rocker arms and the pushrods from the LS2 to the LQ9. same part numbers, and ive installed countless of those heads on LS2s, no problem.... lifters are the only thing i can think of

Lifters would make sense. I wouldn't think you could get a thin enough head gasket where that would matter. I wonder if you could just use shorter pushrods instead of tearing it back down that way you could upgrade at the same time.

Dave

yea thats the only thing that makes any sense. the only reason the truck works is because the crane rockers and pushrods are adjustable.... i think im gunna put GM partnumber 88958689. they are the "GM racing lifters" capable of 8k RPM, well more than needed. these are incredibly noisey, i hate them. wanna take them out anyways, but the stockers were starting to make some lifter tap.... was revving to 5800 before, now to 6600.... i think those stock lifters would REALLY have a fit now

Edited by kelleyperformance (see edit history)

Just going to throw this out there............Just because you are using a OEM replacement lifter from a aftermarket company that does not mean that it will use the same amount of preload. You could have preload issues, meaning the pushrods are all out of wack. Check with crane to see what preload they like.

Just going to throw this out there............Just because you are using a OEM replacement lifter from a aftermarket company that does not mean that it will use the same amount of preload. You could have preload issues, meaning the pushrods are all out of wack. Check with crane to see what preload they like.

yea its gotta be that.... i didnt think they would be the same, my engine builder brought them to me and told me to use them. now i have to take everything apart, and put those GM Racing ones in. at least i can reuse ARP bolts lol :banghead:

Defintely preload and I am thinking pushrod length. I have had issues with crane in the past. I am a loyalist to comp now becasue they have not let me down with anything.

Side by side where does the link bar fall versus the stock lifter? and do you notice any interference feeling when you are lashing the valves to load them?

Defintely preload and I am thinking pushrod length. I have had issues with crane in the past. I am a loyalist to comp now becasue they have not let me down with anything.

Side by side where does the link bar fall versus the stock lifter? and do you notice any interference feeling when you are lashing the valves to load them?

no i didnt notice any interference, it feels exactly like it should: close to stock. when the lifters were new(not pumped up) they were identical in hieght to the stockers. i guess when they pumped they changed.... only thing i can think of. all i know is i hate them, my truck sounds louder than a duramax. my girlfriend still thinks i have a diesel lmao