Towing Question

BlakAZss

So, I am going to need to move a 68 chevelle along with an EXTRA 396 engine and Turbo 400 trans. I was planning on hauling the engine and trans in the bed, and the car on a flatbed trailer with my 2003 SS. Anyone see any problems with this? I don't tow much, especially with that much weight in the bed. The Truck is stock.

Thanks!

GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating (weight of truck plus trailer) 14,000 lbs

GVWR Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (how much the truck can weigh) 6,400 lbs

GAWR Front Gross Axle Weight Rating (how much the front axle can weigh) 3,650 lbs

GAWR Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (how much the rear axle can weigh) 3,600 lbs

Tow Rating (maximum recommended trailer weight), of 7,500 lbs.

Since the truck itself weighs about 5200 lbs, you have a reserve capacity (for people cargo, etc) of 1,200 lbs, which happens to be about 1/2 a ton, which is why they call them 1/2 ton trucks

You can see that you run out of GVWR before you run out of towing capacity. You have 1,200 lbs of reserver GVWR to work with, subtracting driver and passengers weights, weight of the engine/transmission you are hauling, and the tongue weight of the trailer.

So using some guesses:

200 Driver

900 Engine/Trans

600 Trailer Tongue Weight (3000 lb car on 1000 lb trailer=4000 lb trailer weight. Tongue weight it typically 15% of trailer weight).

1700 lbs of weight added to the truck (5200 lbs + 1700 lbs = 6900 lbs), that puts you overweight on the GVWR by 500 lbs.

Will that be a problem? Probably not, but use extra care, knowing that you are running over the design limits.

Perhaps most important:

* Inflate the truck tires to the max printed on the sidewall while towing this much weight.

* Use a brake controller. Not sure what your local laws are, but over a certain weight, trailer brakes, and the controller in the truck to activate them, are required. In this case, it would make sense irregardless of the law.

Despite all the advertising, 1/2 Ton trucks really are not all that good for heavy towing. But I run right at my GVWR when towing my travel trailer, and so far, no complaints. I am looking into getting a better brake controller, as I notice my trucks brakes really do seem to be taking beating when I tow. A better controller will transfer more of the braking load to the trailer and get things balanced out.

Wow - that is a ton of good info...

So I will be towing a uhaul trailer, which does NOT have electric brakes - they are hydraulic. Any thoughts?

GAWR Front Gross Axle Weight Rating (how much the front axle can weigh) 3,650 lbs

Since the truck itself weighs about 5200 lbs, you have a reserve capacity (for people cargo, etc) of 1,200 lbs, which happens to be about 1/2 a ton, which is why they call them 1/2 ton trucks

You can see that you run out of GVWR before you run out of towing capacity. You have 1,200 lbs of reserver GVWR to work with, subtracting driver and passengers weights, weight of the engine/transmission you are hauling, and the tongue weight of the trailer.

So using some guesses:

200 Driver

900 Engine/Trans

600 Trailer Tongue Weight (3000 lb car on 1000 lb trailer=4000 lb trailer weight. Tongue weight it typically 15% of trailer weight).

1700 lbs of weight added to the truck (5200 lbs + 1700 lbs = 6900 lbs), that puts you overweight on the GVWR by 500 lbs.

Will that be a problem? Probably not, but use extra care, knowing that you are running over the design limits.

Perhaps most important:

* Inflate the truck tires to the max printed on the sidewall while towing this much weight.

* Use a brake controller. Not sure what your local laws are, but over a certain weight, trailer brakes, and the controller in the truck to activate them, are required. In this case, it would make sense irregardless of the law.

Despite all the advertising, 1/2 Ton trucks really are not all that good for heavy towing. But I run right at my GVWR when towing my travel trailer, and so far, no complaints. I am looking into getting a better brake controller, as I notice my trucks brakes really do seem to be taking beating when I tow. A better controller will transfer more of the braking load to the trailer and get things balanced out.

So using some guesses:

200 Driver

900 Engine/Trans

Perhaps most important:

Surge brakes take a little getting used to. Personally, I would put as much weight in the trailer as possible, so that the backend of the truck does not angle down - on a hard stop you can get a bit of see-saw going on. If you do need to have weight in the bed, place it as close to the cab as possible